Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

An interesting thought I had...

7 years ago

At least interesting to me. As I child, I was raised by parents who always advocated the concept of self-improvement. Because of this I have always sought ways to improve myself physically, mentally, etc. I improved my observation skills more than anything else, which benefits me in numerous ways. Since I observe things a lot, I realized that my observations had a downside. I would see the "correct" way to act in almost every situation I encountered. But people wouldn't act in the "correct" way. So because I self improved myself like that it, was very frustrating. I'm getting slightly off topic here... My point is that even my skills that I'm proud of have a downside. And that got me thinking. 

So does that mean that some of those sayings are true? (I'm not entirely sure where these sayings come from, just that I remember hearing them.) "There is opposition in all things." Or. "Everything has an opposite." Concepts like those.  So are those sayings true, or could they be disproved? If so, how? 

7 years ago

If you keep thinking like that things will only ever be going downhill, maybe you are being too pushy for people to act in a manner everyone should act, or they feel oppressed or uncomfortable, things that you are good at means that you are good at those things, yes, maybe there is a downside to all of that, but only you can decide next.

Now if you believe that there is opposition in everything then you have nothing to lose... because everything will always seem like a drag.

7 years ago

I'll have what you're having man.

7 years ago

Damn right, Betaband.

7 years ago

Do you mean 'logical' instead of 'correct', since I would think that 'correctness' is subjective. If you do mean that most people don't act in the most logical of ways all the time, you must keep in mind that people do act on emotion and impulse for certain things, and certain people are more prone to this than others.

I think though, what you're saying about how even good things have their downsides is an interesting concept to think about. Perhaps the saying 'all things in moderation' would work well here too.

7 years ago

Maybe that's better, less pessimistic, and more thoughtful