Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

I've recently joined the site and although I frequented it for a while several years ago, things have changed considerably. There is now a greater volume of highly rated stories and I'm having a tad bit of trouble getting my bearings. I've already discovered some great writing by Karacan and tsmpaul, but I'd like some help. Let me know some of what you consider to be the best storygames on the site, and if you feel inclined, why you think so highly of them. My heartfelt thanks to any and all who take pity on me and respond!

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

Eternal, Ground zero, and Order of the Midnight Sun. 

If you are into super heroes, Homo Perfectus is the way to go.

Eternal is my favorite, I feel like it has the greatest variety of quality story conclusions on the site, Each branch is good enough to stand on its own as a excellent piece of work. It doesn't rely on the story game structure to be good.

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

Much obliged! I think I'll tackle Eternal first since, from what I've seen on the forums, EndMaster is very respected and his writings are different than anything else.

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

Good call, though I'd start with Ground Zero.

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

The best three storygames on this site (imo) are Eternal, Death Song, and Necromancer (in that order). All have multiple endings and separate paths (many storygames on this site only have one "good" ending or a story that doesn't truly branch until near the end), are very well written, are immersive, and can keep you occupied for hours.

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

I'm definitely seeing a common element here! Out of curiosity, why do you recommend reading Ground Zero first, JJJ? And I'm glad you mentioned immersion, October, I feel like that's an element that a lot of people ignore when writing and reviewing stories.

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

Ground Zero is tied for my favorite CYOA ever, and it constitutes what is (imo) the most perfectly structured CYOA ever. Basically, if you want to learn how to write in this genre, that's the handbook right there haha.

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

You form a convincing argument, sir. I feel like the CYOA style is a great challenge and practice for even experienced writers and I'm already enjoying exploring it. I think I dabbled in it enough during my previous time on this site that I at least have an aptitude for it, but I suppose you all will be the judges of that, won't you? Ground Zero is for sure on my list for tomorrow. And what story is it tied with?

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

None. It's a stand alone.

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

Oh I was meaning tied like you said in your previous post, it's tied for your favorite CYOA ever.

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

"Mommy, Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight?"

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

I remember starting that one back in my former days and never finishing. Another one for the list!

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

Just thought I'd give an update. I finished Ground Zero and it not only lived up to your description, but exceeded it. Thank you for recommending it, it was incredible.

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

I believe Necromancer has the title of one of the earliest branches in the game.  It's pretty much on the third-fourth page, and both paths end pretty well in my opinion.

Most endings that are pretty good stand-alone?  Eternal.

I think that simple stories (not on the advanced editor) have better plots than the stories that use items/stats.

It's just my opinion, but there you go.

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

I loved reading CYOA books when I was in elementary school, and I feel like the best ones could take you to drastically different places depending on your choices. I think I'd have to agree with you on simple over advanced based simply on the fact that the books I always loved had no items, no statistics, no variables. They were 100% story.

However, I do acknowledge that times change and new elements can create just as great of an experience, and in some cases better ones. Certainly some of these advanced games I've started required immense amounts of work and thought to create, and I have utmost respect for anyone who can handle that system.

Stylistic differences is one factor that really make a community of writers worth being a part of. I look forward to being a part of your community and conversing with you.

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

I like you, whoever you are.

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

I suggest sorting the story categories by rating and just start reading from there. The top rated stories are top rated for a reason =)

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

I'm sure you have personal preferences though, and those are the ones I'd like to hear about. Not only does it give me good recommendations for reading, but it gives me some insight into who you are as well.

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

To be honest, my favorite story is order of the midnight sun. That's what made me join the site, since it was so long. But end master's stories are amazing as well. 

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

Thank you!

A Good Place to Start

11 years ago

I played the game At around midnight and played till 3 or 4 am. I beat the maze relic let easily since I just wrote up a map and saw where it led me. But I started falling asleep so I made a account to save my game.