Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 4/5/2014: You should just use the advanced editor.

A Cause-and-Effect Option in the Basic Editor...?

10 years ago

So, first of all, I'm a total noob and I haven't even touched the advanced editor yet. I haven't even published a story yet. HOWEVER, I am working on my first one in the basic editor. While working on it I thought, "Wow, this sure is repetitive," due to the kind of game I was making. Then I thought, "Well...all I'd need is some kind of cause/effect thing to clean up my game!"

The stories of this game are kind of like looking at a 2-d double helix; the branches split apart, then come back together, over and over. This makes it to where I have to make two or more copies of certain pages if only to keep separate universes unique. This gets tedious and confusing over time; even just planning the separate branches starts getting confusing.

But, with this cause/effect option, it'd make it to where I could bring the universes back together for a page or two then split them again without any hassle. It wouldn't be difficult to use (at least for me; that's the point of keeping it in the basic editor...). It may look something like this:

If link [insert link here] was chosen previously, then clicking on [insert link here] will take player to [insert link here].

Basically, it means that if a player chose option A at a previous point in the game, clicking on this later link will bring them to a certain screen, as opposed to someone who chose option B, who would get a different screen. I don;t know if it makes any sense, but...well...

Maybe I'm the only one who writes like that, so others wouldn't have any need of this feature, but...well, I don't know. I'm not a site admin, just a geeky girl with ideas...

10 years ago

Hi, you need to jump right into the Advanced Editor right away - because you can keep track and do that of that sort of thing with Variables  :)

10 years ago

The warning given when you make a story is a bit too strong. It isn't too hard, just read some of articles on the advanced editor and if you still have any questions, you can ask for help in the Advanced Editor Forum.

10 years ago

I...suppose my biggest problem is intimidation (?) and oh I'll just take post off now because I feel totally stupid and embarrased to have to ask blush

10 years ago

Naw, don't worry about it. Just create a Test Story or something like that to try stuff out. You can't really break anything (easily anyway) with the advanced editor, so give it a try  =)

10 years ago

However if the entire site DOES crash and loose all saved games we will know where to look....

I'm actually about to start fiddling about on the advanced on myself, going to try to get the basic scripting to make sense to me before I try to make another story.

10 years ago

Heh...still, though, ther is no way to delete forum posts, is there...? Hey, maybe I should suggest that, instead!