Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

For Mizal! And for Aslan!

7 years ago

There was a knock at the door to the wooden, one room house. Anna looked up and smiled.

“Hello, Walter. Did you see my mother outside?”

“Yes, she said to come in,” Walter looked around the room smiling broadly, “I wouldn’t have guessed it before, but this place really does clean up nice.”

“Well, it wasn’t exactly a wreck before either,” Walter raised an eyebrow. Anna attempted to stare him down but eventually conceded, “Yeah, I guess it was a bit jumbled.”

“Well all it took to get it looking nice was a worried mother and a broken foot. How’s it doing by the way?” Anna lifted her skirt a little to inspect the heavily plastered appendage.

“It itches like there was a nest of ants in there. Otherwise I guess it’s fine. Doc Andrews said not to walk on it too much for the next few days.”

“I see.” A few moments went by and the temperature in the room seemed to notably increase according to its two occupants.

“You, uh, want some help with those?” Walter said, gesturing to a burlap sack of sweet peas that sat on the table before Anna, unshucked.

“Sure!” Anna said. Walter sat down at the table and glanced in the pale that sat beside the sack. He grinned.

“Productive morning, was it?” He swirled the pale around and the empty sound of three lone peas clanged against its metal surface. Anna huffed, giving him a glare. The two set to work as she said,

“Well I started off just fine, I just got distracted is all.”

“By what?”

“I don’t know.”

“Sounds interesting.” She reached across the table and punched Walter in the arm.

“Careful! You might bruise your hand.”

“Yeah, well, be careful not to bruise your face,” she muttered, eyes going back to her work. They sat in a companionable silence for a while. It took Walter a long time to notice when Anna stopped reaching into the sack to grab more peas. He looked up. She sat stock still in her chair, eyebrows furrowed and palms limply upturned on her lap, work forgotten.

“Anna, you’re doing it again.” She startled as if she had been slapped.

“Oh!” she looked around the room then shook the last of the preoccupation from her head, “sorry.”

“What were you thinking about?” Walter said. She looked pensive as she reached for another handful of peas.

“A place by the river. There’s something about it…” she shook her head again, “but I can’t remember now.”

“The river? I thought your mother doesn’t let you near there since-”

“She doesn’t. This place is different. I don’t think I’ve been there before, I just… know it.”

“You’re strange.”

“I know”

“That’s why I like you.” Anna softly smiled, eyes still on her work.

Walter closed the door as he made his way out of the house. Anna’s mother, Grace Milfred, was just taking the last of the laundry off of the clothesline. Her tidy appearance and demeanor carried over to the folded stacks of clothing and bedding she carried in the basket at her hip. She matter of factly set the basket down, pulled the last sheet from the line, snapped it into shape, and began to fold it.

“Where’s your coat?” she asked. Walter glanced down at his suspenders.

“Oh, I didn’t bring it today.”

“A man should always wear a coat if he plans to do more than farming.”

“Yes ma’am.”

“Are you leaving so soon Walter? You should stay for dinner.” Walter wrung his cap between hands,

“No, I should go. Grandfather’s in town.”

“Send him our regards.”

“Yes, well, I was hoping I could talk to you about something.” She placed the sheet in the basket, picked up the load and turned to face the young men.

“Yes, what is it.”

“Anna and I have been seeing much of each other for the past year-”

“-As I know.”

“Of course. And I wanted to- with your permission of course- well, to ask you-”

“-you want my blessing.” Walter swallowed.

“Yes.” Grace sighed and shifted the basket further up her hip.

“You’re a good boy, Walter,” Walter’s heart dropped, “But Anna is not a very healthy girl. Not healthy at all. She breaks bones like they were crystal and there’s a different sort of sickness to get through each month. I don’t think she’d fare very well without my care.”

“But-”

“I’m sorry, Walter. I really am. But you know that I’m right.” Walter cast his eyes downward. Grace sighed again and turned towards the house. Walter looked up and grabbed her arm.

“Wait,” she turned and looked him in the eye, “what if she gets better?” Grace smiled sadly.

“That’s not the slightest bit likely. As you know, she’s been this way since she was born.”

“But what if?”

“Then- I suppose- I would give you my blessing.” Walter nodded.

“Thank you.” Walter said. His eyes turned pensive as he started to walk his way back home. Grace watched him grow smaller and smaller for a few moments, then made her way back to the door, shaking her head.

“Grandfather, do you know any good doctors?” Grandfather Herman was relaxed in his rocking chair and took a deep pull of smoke from his pipe before answering.

“Well, Walter, Doc Andrews is a fine doctor If’n you got somethin you need to see a doctor about.”

“No, I mean a really good doctor. Like one who can treat anything.” The old man chuckled as he rocked back in his chair

“Well, Walter, I’m not sure I know anyone who can cure e’rythin’!”

“What about someone who could make Anna better?” Grandfather’s face furrowed into a frown, an expression which looked strange since his wrinkles were far more accustomed to smiling.

“I don’t think there’s any doctor alive who can help that one. She got forest blood.” Walter sat up straighter.

“What do you mean, Grandfather?”

“Well, she’s a funny one, ain’t she? Always got a lost look about her. Always looking out to the North.”

“I suppose”

“Only forest folk can help her then.”

“Forest folk?” Grandfather Herman took another drag of smoke and nodded, “but those are all just stories.”

“Well, I reckon stories gotta come from somewhere, Walter. Your Great Aunt Nellie had a son that only lived a year, and she always told me it was causa the forest folk. They can do things like that. Maybe that means they can help your friend out too.”

“If they’re real, then how would I find them?”

“Hmmm. They like offerings. Like food. I suggest you just go out and meet ‘em”

“I suppose it’s worth a try.” Grandfather slapped Walter on the back.

“Sure! Sure, I’ll tell you just what your Aunt Nellie told me, and- if’n your pa left you the old boat- you can make your way down the river tommarraw.”

“I will.”

The place they called the forest was old-fashioned Mississippi terrain: tall trees standing sparsely, giving one another room to breathe. Occasionally they would cluster around the water’s edge to watch the fish swim or let their roots dip into the mud and cover up the swampland. The ferns and vines and moss coated every surface, making the animal and plant-life indistinguishable. It was easy to assume an attitude of reverence as Walter’s grandfather had suggested while he tied the boat on the shore.

He picked up his satchel and went on his way, looking for a spot to eat his lunch and lay out an offering. He decided on a spot with the river in view. It reminded him of Anna.

He unpacked his lunch of skillet bread, greens, and chicken and sat down beneath the sheltering arms of a moss-covered sweetgum. He dished out a portion of each item onto his kerchief and set it across from himself amidst the ferns. As he ate he watched the river drift by. Leaving as soon as it could arrive, arriving as soon as it had passed. Within it, the stirring of life fought the ceaseless change while the trees stirred in the breeze, laughing at the struggles of those below…

The sun was setting when Walter finally awoke. It cast the river in red and purple as if fire and bruises mottled its surface. Walter stared at it hazily for a few moments then glanced to the place where he had laid the food. The handkerchief was neatly folded, not a trace of the food remaining. Walter quickly stood up, looking around for a sign of his visitor. A gentle rustle sounded. Walter’s head wheeled around to face it. It had come from behind the sweet gum tree. When he turned to look, there was no one in sight.

“Falling asleep was rather impolite of you.” The hair on Walter’s neck stood up. The voice that had sounded was a smooth growl, a roaring quiet, an impossible voice. He glanced about, unsure whether he should move or not.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to.”

“Then why would you?”

“Well I- I don’t know. I guess I looked at the river too long.” Walter sputtered.

“I forgive you. Now,” a gentle thud sounded as something fell to the forest floor a few feet away from Walter, “Why did you bring me here tonight?”

“There’s a girl I love.” Walter slowly turned his head, but the noise had sounded there was nothing.

“Go on.” Said the voice from somewhere behind him. He swallowed.

“But she’s sick, and I want to help her heal.”

“I see. And what will you give me in return?” Walter felt his stomach turn. Of course he should have brought another gift. How foolish of him.

“I don’t have much. What sort of an exchange would you like to make?” In the dim light of the vanishing sun a silhouette moved in the underbrush across from Walter then. He dared not look.

“A lock of your lover’s hair in exchange for a necklace to heal her.” He let out a breath he hadn’t realized he was holding.

“That can be arranged.”

“Alright. I will give you the necklace. In exchange you will bring me the girl’s hair on the night of the full moon. If you forget or fail in some other way, I will lay claim to your firstborn child. Do we have an agreement?” Walter hesitated. Then thought of Anna.

“Yes.”

“Excellent” Walter jumped. The voice was impossibly close to his ear. He felt something brush his shoulder. He stood stock still. A slender, pale arm had reached over his arm and held out a simple grey stone pendant on a shining black string. His hand trembled as he reached out to take it. The arm withdrew, and when he worked up the nerve to look about, he found himself to be alone.

“Anna! I’ve brought you a gift!” Walter burst into the house. Anna looked up tiredly from where she sat.

“How thoughtful of you,” She smiled.

“But first, I need something in exchange.”

“Oh? And what’s that?”

“A lock of your hair.” She laughed.

“That’s a strange request. Why? Are you planning  a journey and need some means to remember me?”

“Do I need to be far away to want to remember you always?” She laughed again.

“Someone’s feeling confident!”

“What can I say? I just feel like things are going to go well after today.”

“Well who am I to spoil such optimism? If you hand me the scissors from the sewing basket I’ll pay your price.” He did as she asked and she carefully reached up and trimmed a lock of hair. Walter folded it inside of his handkerchief.

“Now that I have a strange bald spot,” Anna said, “What is this gift you’ve brought for me?”

“Close your eyes.” She did as he said and sat up straight, a slight smile playing on her lips. Walter took the necklace from his pocket and gently slid it around her neck. The effect was almost immediate.

Anna’s eyes sprang open and she began clawing at her neck. Before Walter could react she had fallen out of the chair and writhed on the ground as she struggled to breathe.

“Anna! Anna! Stay still! I’ll get it off of you!” He yelled, kneeling beside her and trying to pry her fingers away from the necklaces glossy surface. In a panic he grabbed the scissors from the table, pushed Anna down, and snipped the string around her neck in two.

She gasped. There were tears in her eyes as she regained her breathe. Walter flung the necklace across the room and pulled Anna into his arms.

“Anna, are you okay? Are you breathing?” She nodded as she continued to breathe heavily.

“What. The hell. Was that?” She managed to say.

“A necklace. It was supposed to help you get better.”

“That. Was horrible.”

Walter paced in the clearing, unsure what he was going to do. When he had arrived, the sun was low and a full moon waited in the wings. Now, darkness was in full swing giving him the chance to realize that waiting in the darkness was worse than waiting in the light.

“Dangerous to walk when you can’t see what’s in front of you. The moon should be rising soon though,” Walter shuddered to hear the voice again, “What did you bring me?”

He felt around in his pocket until he found the handkerchief with the lock of hair. The first beams of moonlight strained over the treeline and he placed the kerchief within its grasp. The hand which had seen before gently reached out and took it, each finger wrapping around its edges like a spider gripping its web. The scrap of fabric disappeared into the darkness.

An inhuman growl quivered in the air.

“What do you mean by this, boy?” Walter could not tell if his heart had stopped or began to tear out of his chest.

“I-I… What do you mean?”

“This is nothing but a scrap of straw, you impudent child!”

“No it isn’t! I promise, I saw her cut it from her head!” A foolish courage found its way into his chest “Besides! You broke our arrangement first! What did you have to gain by attempting to kill her?” The voice sounded, low and dangerous.

“What do you mean, boy?”

“The second Anna had the necklace around her throat she wasn’t able to breathe!” There was a pause long enough for Walter to consider his mistake. He swallowed.

“What name did you say?”

“A-Anna.” Another long pause.

“My friend, I think we have had a grievous misunderstanding. You see the girl you love,” a figure appeared in the moonlight, “is who I was supposed to be.” Walter’s mouth dropped open.

“Anna?” The maiden smiled softly. Her face, her shape, her bearing: all belonged to the girl Walter had seen not but a day ago. Even so, her voice stood in sharp relief and a strange vitality hung about her frame which the real Anna was too sick to wear.

“In a way. You would not know my name. My friend, I still believe we can help one another. You see, the girl you know may have my form, but she is not Anna. She was simply supposed to serve as a placeholder, to make my passing easier.”

“What do you mean?” Walter asked. He didn’t like the way this girl- this forest-dweller- who appeared like Anna was speaking.

“Do you know what a changeling is?” Walter shook his head.

“When a fairy knows a human child is going to die, they will take it for their own. In its stead they will find a soul within the forest who was ripped from its body too soon. They weave the soul with sticks and light and magic so that humans believe it appears just as their child did. These creations are called changelings. They aren’t intended to last. That is why my fairy magic caused her pain. She isn’t exactly living and the necklace tried to put her in her natural form. Trading places allows the soul of both the dead and the dying to find peace with their passing and allows them to move forward while the human children live forever as fairies instead of dying an early death… Do you understand?”

Walter thought of Anna’s sickness.   

“You mean.. Anna is a changeling.”

“I mean Anna isn’t Anna. She was another soul. She isn’t supposed to be here. Knowing that she is though… I can’t imagine the torment she must live through. Restless spirits cannot feel at home in a living body.”

He thought of the way that Anna was often sad

“What are you saying?”

“I’m saying that you love her, correct?”

“Of course.”

“Then I will need your help to set her free.”

“Set her free? You mean to kill her?” The girl’s face became gentle.

“She’s already dead, Walter. You would simply be letting her rest.” Walter shook his head. He felt his throat grow tense.

He thought of the time Anna had tried to throw herself in the river.  

“I can’t… I can’t. I couldn’t kill her even if she is already dead. I’ve spent my whole life protecting her”

“You don’t have to kill her. You shouldn’t. That would just leave her restless. You have to help her remember her old soul. Take her to the place where she died.” Walter felt tears sliding down his cheeks.

“And where would that be?” The girl who was no girl turned her head to the river and pointed to the bank.

A place by the river. There’s something about it…

Walter nodded. It all made too much sense to ignore. But just in case-

“And if she isn’t a changeling she’ll return home unharmed?” Her gaze grew knowing.

“Of course.”

It was a warm day. Anna’s gait had returned to its smooth glide now that the plaster had been removed. She and Walter walked hand in hand down towards the riverside. She looked absent-mindedly at the pathway.

“Mother always worries when I go by the river.”

“I’ll be here with you. I want to take you somewhere special but we have to take the boat to get there. Are you sure you’re alright?” She nodded.

“But it’s just… Ever since that necklace I just feel like I’m missing something. I couldn’t say what, just… something.” Walter avoided her eyes.

“I think I understand.” When they reached the river he helped her into the boat and she smiled brightly at the goings on.

“I can’t remember when I was last on a boat, Milton!”

“Milton?” Anna looked startled.

“Well, I meant Walter of course.”

“I know, but Milton of all names! Sounds like someone’s grandfather.” Anna laughed.

The sun shone merrily when they reached the clearing. The late summer air seemed to anticipate the coming of fall. Walter and Anna dragged the boat on-shore together. They walked and sat together beneath the branches of the sweetgum tree. Anna rested her head on Walter’s shoulder and they both stared at the water together.

“This is it.” Anna said.

“This is what?”

“This is where my thoughts go. It’s strange I don’t think I’ve been here before.”

“What do you think about it? How does it make you feel.”

“It makes me sad… as if I’ve lost something important in the river,” She glanced at her hand “Yes, perhaps it was that.” she said, more to herself then to Walter.

“Will you dance with me, Anna?” She nodded. They stood together and danced by the water’s edge, insects and the movements of the river the only music. Walter’s heart began to pound. He didn’t want to break the moment. After a few moments of peace, he made himself say

“Can I ask you something, Anna?”

“Anything.” He looked down to meet her eyes.

“Does the name Rose mean anything to you?” She stopped moving. She furrowed her eyebrows.

“Rose?”

“Yes, does it see, familiar?”

“Rose…” she stood for a moment, arms still entwined with Walter’s. Tears began to fill her eyes.

“Rose. How could I forget,” she looked to the river, “She was only twelve, you know.”

“You mean... you were only twelve?” Walter said. Anna nodded.

“I was only twelve… how did you know, Walter?”

“The real Anna told me. The one who died as a baby. What does this mean, Rose? Does this mean you’re going to leave me?” she smiled through her tears.

“Oh, Walter. I’m so sorry. I was never supposed to be yours in the first place,” she held him close, “I love you. But I… I don’t have to feel pain anymore.” She let him go and spun in the sunlight laughing.

“My god! It’s like I’m breathing after decades!” she turned back to Walter grinning then grew serious once more “I hope you can forgive me.”

“Of course, Anna… Rose.” She walked close beside him. There eyes met, both were crying. Both thought this was a beautiful thing to share. Anna leaned forward and their lips met, warm and living as the summer sun. Their eyes closed.

And then her lips were gone. Walter opened his eyes to find the image of a young girl caught in a swirl of dissipating rose petals and startdust. Her style of dress was old but her face was young. Rose kept her eyes closed and allowed herself to be lead to a place of peace.

With the changeling freed, Walter discovered that few people remembered that Anna had ever lived among them. When Grace was confronted she said simply that her baby girl had died before reaching the age of one. With no one to speak to and no proof to aid him, Walter bore his heartbreak in silence.

It wasn’t until a new moon many months later that his past came back to meet him. He sat out at the edge of the woods, looking at the stars when a hand brushed against his shoulder. He looked to see a pale hand holding a silver ring.

“Rose left this in the river when she was drowned. She would like you to have it.” Walter reached up and felt the weight of the ring as it was dropped into his palm. When he looked behind him, there was no one to be found. With a sigh, he slid the ring onto his finger. A feeling of peace swept across him. He looked to the stars, and felt his heart begin to heal.

7 years ago

Not to bad for finding out about this yesterday! I mean, not that great, but not that bad either! I figured I owe Mizal after not seeing her message to me for three months though.

7 years ago

How depressing yet sweet. It was very enjoyable. Well done.

7 years ago

Thanks!

7 years ago

You wrote this in a day? Pretty damn impressive.

I liked your previous fairy story quite a lot and this one and this one is even better.  I hope you keep writing these, though I'm a little unused to reading of happy(ish) endings for those having dealings with the fae. It's generally the 'lol you just fucked yourself' option in fiction.

I love that you went with the Deep South as a setting here too, that's another unusual choice for this style of story.
(Though just as an aside, have you ever read the Eden Moore books by Cherie Priest? You might enjoy them.)

One thing you might keep an eye out for for clarity is sending mixed signals with who's saying what in dialogue.

“Well, it wasn’t exactly a wreck before either,” Walter raised an eyebrow. Anna attempted to stare him down but eventually conceded, “Yeah, I guess it was a bit jumbled.”

“Well all it took to get it looking nice was a worried mother and a broken foot. How’s it doing by the way?” Anna lifted her skirt a little to inspect the heavily plastered appendage.

“Wait,” she turned and looked him in the eye, “what if she gets better?” Grace smiled sadly.

“Forest folk?” Grandfather Herman took another drag of smoke and nodded, “but those are all just stories.”

I kept stumbling over these because they all read like the words are coming from the person doing the action on the same line, but it's Walter every time. 

“Forest folk?”

Grandfather Herman took another drag of smoke and nodded.

“But those are all just stories,” Walter protested.  // Or similar formatting, would be my suggestion.

Oh and there was one point, 'He thought of the time Anna had tried to throw herself in the river.' That had me going back to see if I'd missed an earlier mention of this. I know there's a very brief reference between them to the river, but possibly it wasn't foreshadowy enough to prevent a 'wait, what?' moment.

The hand which had seen before gently reached out and took it, each finger wrapping around its edges like a spider gripping its web. -  There's a typo, but I'm mostly just highlighting this one because it's a great line.

Anyway, it's a really solid entry, doubly impressive for the speed it was written at. Plus it's pretty rare I see a story with a relationship focus written on this site in a way that feels genuine and sweet way instead of cringeworthy lol. Great job with this and thanks again for entering. :)