Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Hi! Advanced Editor Question

7 years ago

I haven't come on here for a while, and I can't really remember how anything works. 
So I've noticed that in some stories, you're able to make it so that the player can't change pages without having to pick something up. There's an item that's essential to a certain path in my story, but for some reason I'm worried that people might just skip over picking the object up. How can I make it so that in order to progress, they have to pick up the item? (Like by picking up the item, this then opens up a new link to progress?)

7 years ago

Why is the text so tiny? D:

The item system here is kind of clunky and annoying so I don't mess with them too often. Pretty sure you can just use a page script to place the item in the player's inventory when they come to the right page, or otherwise have picking it up set a variable the links check for.

http://chooseyourstory.com/help/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=66 may help, though it'd be possible (and probably easier) to bypass the necessity of the actual item altogether and just toggle a variable to track whether the character has it or not. 

The Advanced Editor section would be the place to post these kinds of questions, just fyi.

7 years ago

You can restrict/hide a link (the stop sign) based on whether they have an item.

7 years ago
Both of those suggestions are correct and I've implemented both at one time or another, so if you can't get it to work, drop me a line.

A third alternative is to avoid all that mess, depending on the item. In other words, if the item is so integral to the story that they cannot continue without it, does it really need to be an item? After all, people can also drop items. If it is something like a key that is important, I would think that you could just add into the text a bit about finding and picking up a key, and then they just have it, whether they want it or not, and then the story can continue without interruption. Just a thought, anyway.

7 years ago

Yes, this is what I was getting at. As a reader is much rather just have the game remember I have an item rather than messing with the actual inventory system. 

Easier on the author too to just use a variable set to one or zero.