Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

What do you guys think?

10 years ago

So, this is my first story/game ever. I want to know if it is worth continuing or if it needs some changes. So far I have the first page and two links (the links have a sentence to let me know where to take the page) and just want some feedback.

I assume that I just post a link here but not sure if it will work unless I publish the unfinished game.

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/viewer/default.aspx?StoryId=18193

What do you guys think?

10 years ago

Lol my first game is Called FireBorn  lol

What do you guys think?

10 years ago

I'm so gonna' play that lol. Did my link work? Can you preview it without me publishing it?

What do you guys think?

10 years ago

Yeah it worked, ill read it now

What do you guys think?

10 years ago

Great Thanks! :)

What do you guys think?

10 years ago

Fix the spacing into legit paragraphs and you've got a good story in the works.

Wanna give mine a once over?

http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/writing-workshop/message/10041

right now when you get to the choice the only oen that works is if you take gym class (and it is an incomplete page)

What do you guys think?

10 years ago

What do you guys think?

10 years ago

thanks for the ninja there drak! appreciate it bud.

What do you guys think?

10 years ago

That was great, It reminds me of my dad who died when I was 10. He killed himself though. He was an asshole, but my mom is no angel either. She is still alive and kicking. I want to join the Eridial Knights! Can't wait until it is finished.

Thanks for the read. Did you mean the indentation or spacing where there is a character talking?

What do you guys think?

10 years ago

I liked the story, Def continue it, I would keep reading if the story was finished

What do you guys think?

10 years ago

Thanks.

What do you guys think?

10 years ago

On your story? Yeah it looked kind of... IDK off to me? Of course it was full screen so it may have just been my view of it.

What do you guys think?

10 years ago

As for content, like I stated up there. Add to it and I'll keep reading :)

What do you guys think?

10 years ago

Great, keep going. This is amazing my friend...

What do you guys think?

10 years ago

Just took a glance at the story, and I think you're off to a great start! I  appreciated the fact that you went out of your way to make the father somewhat sympathetic with an actual motivation, and showed that the main character cared about his brother. I think a lot of people would have just make them caricatures making life difficult for Our Hero out of pure spite. 

But I did notice a few issues, that I'm only mentioning because you seemed to genuinely want some constructive criticism. (possibly some of this has already been brought up, just kind of skimmed the thread)

The first thing that popped out at me is that you need to get a better handle on how punctuation in dialogue works. (This seems to be an area everybody struggles with at first, at the writing workshop site I used to hang out at that was like 95% percent of the technical issues we would have to point out when going over a new members work...) But never fear, just use the following examples and I'll have you turned into a perfectionist grammar nazi yourself in no time flat! :) 

"It Is mine to command, brother." You answer.

should be: "It Is mine to command, brother," you answer.  (If the dialogue and the tag are both part of the sentence, always end the dialogue with a comma and don't capitalize the tag. Use lowercase even when ending a line of dialogue in a question mark or exclamation point, too.)

That one rule would fix most of the issues I spotted, the handful of others are pretty random and look more like simple typos to me.

Oh, and just fyi, if you flip it around, it becomes: You answer, "It IS mind to command, brother."

Also, if you have an action after a tag that's it's own sentence (rather than some variation of 'so-and-so says', that would be where you write it with 'normal' capitalization.  "Blah blah blah." Mr. Magoo sighed and shook his head. "Blab blah blah blah blah blah..."

There, clear as mud, right?

Anyway, the second smaller thing I noticed is that you start sentences with 'You' a bit too often. Or it's more like, sentences AND paragraphs, because there are so many paragraphs that basically seem to consist of just one or two lines. It's an awful lot of white space and IMO interrupts the story's flow somewhat when reading.

Oh yeah, and I'm assuming you'll establish more clearly what the character is capable of in later segments and any limitations his powers might have? Right now we know he can control the weather and read minds, which at first glance aren't really all that related, and also have the potential (especially the mind reading one) to make it difficult when it comes to creating realistic challenges for him, careful not to write yourself into a corner there. (Don't want the readers complaining, 'Why didn't he realize Mr. Magoo was the bad guy and about to betray him, he could read his mind!' and so on.)

Though it does sound like the mysterious Venitor might be able to give him a run for his money either way, so I'm assuming you've got that part all under control. :)