Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Ideas

10 years ago

So I've decided to get of my lazy ass and actually write something that's longer than 300 words for once. I've a couple of ideas in my head that I could work with, but I'd like to know what you guys think of it. Feel free to suggest anything else.

1. Vernius: Elteran. Same as my forum game, but as a CYOA. Set in a fantasy world, it's basically about a dude who gets dragged into a conspiracy involving the King of his country and his own mysterious backgrounds. To be honest I'm not very into this idea, and I'd rather use it for a forum game than a story.

2. Mutants as spies in the present world of today. A mysterious but powerful man with the alias 'Death' is trying to overtake the world with an army of mutants that act as normal people in the outside world. A small faction of mutants led by Death's rival 'X' works behind the scenes to foil Death's plans. The story revolves around one of these mutants, a girl by the name of Rickie, and her team.

3. The tragic life story of a young boy in his teenage years. The story contains alot of flashbacks, and will be very linear. Based on true incidents that occurred to someone I know.

Ideas

10 years ago

3 is ruled out for linearity.

1 is ruled out because you should write using a idea that you're keen about.

So 2 if no one proposes anything else.

Ideas

10 years ago

Hey nothing wrong with linearity if done well.

Ideas

10 years ago

2 or 3.
2 Especially, if you decide to write it as a story instead of a CYOA.

Ideas

10 years ago

I'd say not 1, as you really won't preform well if you don't want to do it

2 is my personal favorite, I like the whole idea of stealthy actions as opposed to invasions (I.E., most sci-fi storygames on the site . . . ). Though the handle 'X' is hardly original =P

3 also sounds good, I personally don't have a problem with linearity as long as it is written well, and real stories often are more interesting than fiction - it is so surprising that reality comes up with more interesting and crazy things than imagination

Ideas

10 years ago

No to #1 because fantasy is done to death here, no to #3 because the same goes for 'tragic life stories'. It sounds like you've put the most thought into the other, so go ahead, do #2. (only don't call it #2 anymore because that makes it sound like you'll be crapping it out :P)

Ideas

10 years ago

Thanks for the replies, but since I barely have enough time to write a single paragraph a day I've decided to leave #2 for another time and do #3 instead.