Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

limit amount of items the Character can carry

8 years ago

Hello, I've seen other storygames that say you can only pick two items. I've read what I thought it would be in, but no such luck. Can anyone help me? Thanks I'm advance.

8 years ago

What storygame is it?

8 years ago

The walmart game. It said you only had enough time to grab two items

8 years ago

Haven't play it for a while. Look at the walkthrough perharps?

8 years ago

Oh I read my first post and I don't think it was clear I want to make it like that in my game (sorry if you got that. I have trouble expressing myself and am terribly awkward.)

8 years ago

I'm curious too.

Who knows when you'll run in to a story where you need this implemented?

8 years ago

Can you please explain it clearly and better detailed?

8 years ago

Ella wants to limit the amount of items the reader can carry.

That's at least how I understand it...

8 years ago
There's two different possibilities here:

1. Limit the number of items a reader can pick up on one page.
2. Limit the number of items a reader can have in their inventory at one time.

While they appear similar, in mechanics terms, they are very different. The first option is not that hard and can be done with variable limits on an individual page. In other words, you could have a number of links that allow a reader to pick up an item (instead of just putting the actual items on the page). Then, when a reader clicks on a link, that link can pick the item up for the person and increment a variable. All the links for picking up items would then have a limit based on that variable and only show when the variable is less than 2, for example. Once two items are picked up, all the other links simply disappear. If you want to do that and need more details on how, I can explain more.

The second item is very different because it has to apply on every page every single time someone tries to add an item to their inventory. I think it could be done with a variable that tracks how many items the reader has at any time; then a script would need to run every time any item is picked up that would check to see if the reader already has two items. If they did, the script would have to drop the item and give the user a message of some kind.

8 years ago

Thanks for responding all of you. The first is what I wanted. Thank you for explaining it and I'm sorry for causing all this confusion.

8 years ago
No worries, I hope it explained it well enough that you can make it happen!