Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Specific main character descriptions or vague ones

8 years ago

This has probably been asked before, but just wondering. I'm relatively new btw xD. (Have mercy :P)

Do you like the stories where you basically get to experience the world through a specific character's perspective?

Or do you like stories that aren't too specific with how the main character looks, so you feel you can fit yourself into the story more?

Or in the middle?

For me, I'm in the middle...sometimes it's fun imagining myself as a different person/watching from the sidelines,

but other times I like being able to imagine myself really being there in the setting. (Even if I might not do every action

available irl xD.)

So what about you all?

8 years ago

All of them have their merits. I prefer to play as a character more, but I've enjoyed all three.

8 years ago

Alright ^^.

8 years ago

I don't have a preference so long as they're well written and feel natural. I enjoy many of  CoG's games because of the freedom and intricate development of your character as the story progresses. At the same time, I like being forced into a single role, such as the protagonist from Endmaster's 'Eternal'. Giving us meaningful choices that advance the story and enveloping us into a detail rich world is (imo) the most valuable trait in a story.

8 years ago

Oh okay :O.

8 years ago

As a fan of RPG games, particularly that of BioWare and Bethesda, I prefer to give the character my personality and try to make them look like me as best as I can. IMHO, that better immerses myself into a game about space travel or the nuclear apocalypse where I can sort of see myself in the character rather than playing as a character with a pre-determined look and personality.

8 years ago

Alright ^^.

8 years ago

I actually have a relatively similar question. Except mine is about names. Do people prefer to have the MC named?

My opinion (for all it's worth) is that I only like the broadest descriptions of the MC. Things such as gender and maybe the most striking features, That way, the author can craft my character according to the decisions that are made rather than according to set description.

8 years ago

I can't think of many situations where I'd be upset at a character's being named.

8 years ago

I'm inclined to agree.

8 years ago

Still both xD. But then other times I prefer vagueness towards gender/name. :P

8 years ago
For me, it just depends on the story. I can enjoy it either way, as long as the story fits with the situation.