Non-threaded

Forums » Bugs & Problems » Read Thread

Post reports about problems or bugs in here.
This bug was closed 1/10/2024: current editor only rolls once - known issue and being worked on

Dice rolls not working as a variable change

7 years ago

I was doing a quick refresher on dice rolls and was reading through the article How to use Random Variables. This describes being able to use the variable reset function and inputting a dice roll in there. However those dice rolls are not working correctly for reset, along with the other variable changes (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentage).

With a 2D5, I'm only getting rolls of 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10. The roll should add up to anything between 2 and 10, including odd numbers.

With a 5D2, I'm getting rolls of only 5 or 10. The roll should add up to anything between 5 and 10, including odd numbers.

However dice rolls are working just fine when using them as a script, so this can be worked around at least.

7 years ago
Interesting. First guess would be all the dice are getting the same value.

Why are you using multiple dice to begin with?

7 years ago

I'm using dice rolls to have more control over damage ranges for a basic combat system. Some weapons will have more spiky damage ranges (e.g. 5-15 damage), while others will be more reliable (e.g. 8-12 damage).

I ended up wanting to use scripting anyway, so I could combine the roll with some other modifiers, but I just wanted to experiment with the variable change functions and that's how I spotted the issue.

7 years ago

damage=d10+5 or damage=d4+12 would work here.

4 years ago

@TheChef pointed out that assigning multiple variables dice roll values on the same link doesn't work as expected either. Seems like the link only rolls a random value once and then scales it to fit all of them. If you reset two variables to 1D25, they'll always come out equal; if you reset one to 1D100 and another to 1D50, the latter will always be half of the former (±1).