Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/19/2019: Tagging for length is worse than allowing searches based on length which is the eventual plan.

An "interactive-novel" tag for long SG's

6 years ago

I was reading some reviews for Dead Man Walking, and a term struck me: "interactive novel". That's really what Dead Man Walking, and a few others (Homo Perfectus series, EndMaster games, etc) are. So I think this is a common enough phenomenon that it should be a distinct tag. 

I also think it should be gated to storygames under a certain length. Say 50k words, because that's what NanoWrimo considers to be novel-length. This insures that the tag has a certain amount of prestige, and can only be applied to suitably long games.  

Why does this benefit the site? It's because it's an excellent way of separating the wheat from the chaff. If you're looking for an epic, the easiest way would be a helpful tag indicating its length. Now, you can mouse over for the word-count, but that's not as eye-popping, and it's not as clear to new visitors as a tag would be. 

6 years ago
Agreed because I always find labeling things with more and more specific tags pleasing, completely lacking in function as they are.

If the site itself applied this one to stories of the appropriate length it would prevent confused people from misusing it.

An automatic 'free point' tag for those under 1500 words might also be appropriate.

Still like to see that 'Literacy Guaranteed' tag I mentioned awhile back for that matter .

6 years ago

Maybe  I'm blind, but is there a way to search games by tag?  I mean, it seems to me that would be really useful.

6 years ago

Not currently. Another thing that needs to get implemented. (Whenever that is)