Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Tumble the Bounty Hunter Part Two

6 years ago

In opposition to the simple style of the city, the castle interior is lavish.  Silver framed paintings line the walls, golden brackets hold up the torches.  The attendants, servants, and civil courtiers wear only the finest robes and jewelry.

Ahead sits Lord Far'Wey, appearing bored upon his throne chair.  He seems young, in his mid-twenties.  Far'Wey wears a fancy black, purple, and silver robes and a fur topped cape.  A fancy but practical sword hangs at his side.  

Standing next to him is a friendly looking man almost twice his age.  His curly blonde hair starting to grey, his blue eyes appearing friendly yet alert.

Far'Wey wipes a hand through his black curly hair, regarding Tumble with some interest.  All of the servants and civil courtiers stare at him.

"Hello Traveler, my name is Lord Far'Wey, and this here is my trusted friend and bodyguard, Sir Tovius."

Far'Wey gestures at the blonde haired man.  Before he is about to speak, a lightly armored woman enters the room.  She bears a simple steel sword at her hip.  Her tattoos and runes on her arms and face indicate her as a member of one of the barbarian tribes.  

"Ah, and this here is Lady Bavery," Far'Wey says,"my friend, bodyguard, and house mage.  Slayer of the Seven Brogs, and Barbarian Queen of the Three Civilized Tribes."

"He exaggerates," she says,"I am no queen.  Merely a servant of his Lordship."

"Oh Bavery, you're too humbl-"

Tumble grunts loudly, cutting off Lord Far'Wey.  Most of the civil courtiers glare daggers, but Far'Wey waves them off.

"Where are my manners? Our visitor must have important business to discuss.  Speak now traveler."

"I am Tumble, Bounty Hunter, Hero of the War of the Scourge.  I am simply here to lend my hammer to Lord Far'Wey."

"Pssh, insolent orc," one of the courtiers scoffs,"you walk in here, interrupt our Lordship, and then demand work?  Tall orders coming from a common convict who happened to be at the right place at the right time."

Tumble takes a step toward the courtier, but Gauf holds him back with his poleaxe.

"Alright, easy everybody," Far'Wey says,"go back to your business.  Our esteemed guest simply wants to get down to business. Sir Tovius, show him the bounty board.  Everybody else go back to your duties."

The courtiers mumble to each other as they slowly shift off to continue their work.  Tovius approaches Tumble, placing a hand on his shoulder.  As they start walking Gauf bows in front of Far'Wey, probably to give his report.

"Many of your type have passed through here recently.  With all the Rattar raids, it's been hard dealing with the local scum.  Here is the County Bounty Board."

Tovius gestures to the board filled with bounty notices and odd jobs.

One is for Feris, one of the Rattar Warlords.  The Rattar are a race that are half human, and half rat.  Although from the drawing, Feris appears a bit more human than rat.

Tumble ignores the previous notice, although he suspects he'll return for it.  

Another is for a local necromancer, apparently the bastard son of some great conqueror and cult leader.  While the report indicates he is largely harmless at the moment, his undead servants grow steadily by the day.

"A real bastard that one," Tovius nods at the necromancers bounty.

"He'll wait for my men to fall in battle with the Rattar.  Then he'll raise both men and rat alike as zombies and revenants.  Such filth." Tovius spits on the ground.

Tumble grunts his acknowledgement.

"The dead should stay as they are."

He stops to stare at a familiar face on the bounty board.

Grolig the Red Handed, once a proud warrior and member of Tumble's tribe.  Now an outlaw and scumbag.  Murdering, raping, and stealing with his bandit gang.

Normally Tumble is indifferent to these things, but he's broken various laws of the tribe.  Even so far as to run and elder through with his sword.  Besides, someone with a spree such as his deserves to meet their end.

"I'll take this one," Tumble says.

"Grolog the Red Handed, huh?" Tovius says.

"Yes, his violence will come to an end." 

"I though orcs loved violence and warfare?" Tovius asks.

"There's a difference in fighting for your people's survival, or glory, or to make peace.  Raping and pillaging is something else."

Tovius nods and hands Tumble a copy of the bounty.  

"I'll be honest, I didn't think there was such thing as an honorable orc."

"I didn't think there was such thing as a brave human, until I fought them."

"Well, it seems like we both have a lot to learn about each other." Tovius says.

"Yes."

Tumble and Tovius walk back into the throne room.

"I'll be after Grolig the Red Handed," Tumble says.

"Hmm, a bold one you are," Far'Wey says,"do you realize he's killed twenty four of the soldiers, noblemen, and bounty hunters we've sent after him, and that's not even including his actual victims.  I don't want you to become another notch on his axe blade."

"Tell me where he is," Tumble says,"and he'll be dead by noon tomorrow."

Lord Far'Wey raises and eyebrow.

"Very well, you should find him operating from Northman's Watch.  It's an abandoned soldiers outpost.  If you'd like to stay at the local inn free of charge, Tovius can hand you a receipt."

Tovius hands Tumble the receipt, and alone the bounty hunter finds the inn.

6 years ago

You probably didn't need a whole different thread for this. Should've just posted in the other thread and had a mod change the title.

6 years ago

Keep reading this as "Tumblr the Bounty Hunter" and expecting him to be chasing thought criminals.

6 years ago

Lmao 

And Tumblr grumbled.

"How dare you assume my gender!?"