Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Making kissing noises at the TV with WIBN

5 years ago
So, I just watched Avatar: The Last Airbender. The other day in the Discord, I was all like "I hate it." Everyone took a shit on me, so I watched it. It was good, really fantastic and funny. Watch it if you haven't. I'd bet you laugh over four hundred and ninety times. I think I did.

Ok, if you tell, I'm oddly happy. I haven't been sleeping well (or much at all) and have been working a ton. This week already pushed pass 50 hours and I'm working tomorrow too.

Ok, time to talk about the actual subject. I just figured I should talk about why I'm so loopy before I just randomly talk about this. You know? Anyway. PAIRINGS. I did a quick google, and from my unscientific investigation, I noticed that there's like twice as many Zuko x Katara as there is Aang x Katara. That got me thinking how so often that fanfic pairings are never the same as the show as much as they are the same as the show. Like, Teen Titans fanfiction seems to be drowning in BB x Rae (or Rae x anyone).

So, do you like pairings that are different that canon stuff? Do you think Batman's soul mate is Harley Quinn? Unlike a certain wholesome member of our site, I didn't think Zuko x Katara was a good idea because... why would it be a good idea? Toph x Zuko is obviously more interesting. (Him and emo chick was sorta bleh.) Plus, they didn't get to have a field trip together unlike every other major member of the team. Of course, wait till Toph is older. I'm not a weeb like Digit, you know?

So, I know this thread won't get much attention, but do you have any thoughts on pairings and do you have any funny or interesting ones you like? For example, I think pairing Mara from Rogues with the goody-two-shoes brother would be a funny thing to do if she never met the protagonist.

Also, M wanted me to make a thread while I was all fucked up in the head, so I did.

5 years ago
Wibn I said make a thread while you were still fucked in the head so you could regret it after you slept and you went and made a shipping thread.

You are going to regret this so much more than I ever could have hoped for.

But I'm sure someone around here has something they'll want to put their two cents in about. Shipping fictional characters seems to be the favored passtime of half the internet, most people who grew up on Harry Potter, and all fanfic writers. The glorious rage filled meltdowns of the Zutara girls when Avatar ended was the stuff of legend. I'd bet some of their rants are still out there.

Anyhow I'm glad you were peer pressured into watching the show again and enjoying it this time, it really is a classic. But please get more sleep from now on and I think at this point you're old enough to start putting some thought into just how much more of your adult life you're going to be willing to be used as slave labor for your parents at the expense of your health and future. Or are they at least actually paying you at this point?

5 years ago
To respond more directly to the OP:

Zuko and Toph would be weird on every level and it would be several years before she could pass the half his age plus seven rule, plus why are you even thinking like this.

Zuko and Katara would've made no damn sense since there's probably literally some PTSD going on there. You can work with the guy whose family nearly wiped out your people and who spent a long time personally trying to kill you I suppose but dating him would be a different thing entirely.

As royalty it's not like Zuko could just marry any random girl he had a crush on anyway....although I don't even think Katara fit even that criteria outside of the fevered imaginings of horny fanfic authors. Out of all the possible characters on the show Mai seemed the most realistic even though in Korra it was said they broke up.

Here are a bunch of people earnestly debating the mystery of whoever it was Zuko wound up marrying. Lots of people seem to think it was Song...I had no idea who that was but it would seem to be the girl he stole the ostrich horse from in Zuko Alone, because they bonded over the scar on her leg you see and therefore were meant to be.

Not that Katara and Aang are all that great a match either but that's the problem when you limit romance options of people with their whole lives ahead of them who will meet other people every day to a dating pool limited forever to just the handful of other major characters they don't happen to be related to.

5 years ago
lol at the change in the title. My head's back together now too. I'm not quite sure why my mind was going in the ZxT direction at that time (especially since the half plus seven rule would take five years to come into effect). I guess it's that she seemed like one of the few people not traumatized by him in season one while still being strong enough to take his bouts into emo (because frankly, he turned out really well considering his circumstances).

Oh, he did have a kid with Mai, btw. It was apparently confirmed by the creators in some expo that his daughter in Korra was also the daughter of Mai. Thanks for participating in this!

5 years ago
The cys fanfic tends to follow real cys pairings like End x anyone and MK dominated by anyone and the classics like thara x mizal or orange x one of the bots or digit x mizal etc. Kiel x Quiller was not involved but that already existed both on real CYS and in a separate fanfic.

5 years ago

Still don't know why everyone swooned all over Quiller when he was around. He never actually wrote anything. Just a lot of empty promises and a bunch of artwork which was weeb shit anyway.

Hell, Fluxion at least comes through 50% of the time with his "pretty pretty picture" stories.

5 years ago

Writing my own fanfiction of the Eternal and Mistress as I type this.

5 years ago

Udo and Miya. 

Only old school members will get this. 

5 years ago
This reference is at least 4 years old and not just obscure because it's CYS it's obscure even for CYS. How on Earth have you managed to remember such a niche thing from so long ago?

5 years ago

Hell, I don't even know and I tend to remember the most trivial shit. (especially on here)

Coins said he doesn't even know except that he just remembers Sentinel repeating it all the time back in 2014.

5 years ago
It may as well not even be a CYS reference since it came from BHB. It's the Mythic Nippon Adventure BZ made and then fireplay and partially sent poked fun at it in a few threads around CYS (BZ posted about it to). Udo is Tan and Miya is Fireplay. The roleplay was from 2013 and the latest reference on CYS was 2014 and as far as I can tell, outside of forum games, udo/miya was mentioned once by sent and in three threads outside of FG.

Edit:: I admit, though I was active and even posted in threads involving Udo/Miya references, to using google magic to try to find out what the fuck coins was talking about initially.