Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Online Self-Publishing Options

4 years ago

I'm still working on finishing up my second storygame for this site-- which I started writing last November. But after I finally get that published (hopefully by July, but we'll see...) I wanted to see about self-publishing a sword & sorcery story I completed in 2006. I'd originally made copies for friends and family, but never actually put it out for the greater world to see. (in 2011, I did an audio version of the story with multiple voices, music, and sound effects). I also wrote a follow-up story in 2008. I was hoping to see what online sites there are out there on the world wide web where I could publish both stories. Not really an expert on this sort of thing, but at 48 years of age, I'm tired of wallowing in obscurity. Any advice?

4 years ago

Honestly, I think having a look around on google would be your best bet. Don't think there's many self-published authors on the site, and it's definitely worth browsing to see what companies do the best deals, and what kind of reviews they all have before deciding who to publish with.

4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion.

4 years ago
Can't really do any involved post now but, to regretfully take the dream-crusher stance here, you really shouldn't go into online publishing expecting that a fantasy novel will lift you from obscurity.

There's places like Amazon, sure, it's not especially difficult but that's why they're absolutely glutted with that stuff.

Funnily enough it was actually the rise of online publishing that made me forever put to rest any serious idea of getting published anywhere. Anyone can do it, it's meaningless now and there's too much straight trash to wade through to interest me even as just a reader.

It's been awhile since I've looked into it seriously though so it's possible there are other options out there, but everyone wants to be able to say they've published and it's very easy to do so. It's difficult to stand above the crowd in any way unless you've got programming and marketing skills to go along with the writing, and that's a rare combination.

4 years ago

I somehow don't think it would make me hugely famous or anything. But I did want to get those stories out there for a wider audience to read. I know there are a few people who've gotten famous by starting in online publishing, but I can see as they would be the exception rather than the rule. As to marketing skills...I was in two industrial bands and we could barely even get shows. I mostly just want to get my stuff out so more people can read it. Thanks.

4 years ago

I've never done the research on how one company is different from the other, but I do know there are lots of print-on-demand services that will be happy to take your money. Basically, unlike a traditional publishing arrangement in which the publisher pays you to print your work, in this case you will be paying the publisher. When they reach a certain threshold in orders, they will print enough copies to fulfill those orders. But you will be on Amazon, and you can set up a Facebook page or whatever to try and build an audience. (Facebook will want some of your money too for sponsored ads an whatnot, otherwise you'll never expand far beyond your friends list.)

True self-publishing means putting up all of your own money to apply for an ISBN, forming your own small business, purchasing your own graphic design software for page layouts (or hiring a talented friend to do that for you), finding a printer willing to accept your small order (several to choose from in the Midwest), and then finding a distributor to help you get your books in stores (don't even think of approaching Barnes & Noble directly). Note that no one will even touch your product if it doesn't have a barcode on the cover, but those can be obtained fairly easily (for about $25-$30, assuming you have an ISBN). The plus side is that any revenue you generate is yours to keep. The downside is that all of the responsibility falls on you. I can attest that this does work in certain niche markets, but I'm not sure that it work as well for fiction.

For a more earnest path to publication, you need to start small and build a resume. Seek out and accept whatever freelance assignments you can get; some of these pay nothing at all, others pay well enough that you'll wish there was more to go around. Just like any endeavor, you need to build a reputation. Everything you publish is a "win" that you can put on your resume. Over time, some publishers will seek you out, rather than vice versa.

If you've written something that you think is truly special, you could always go fishing for a literary agent. Note that most traditional publishers will never accept an unsolicited manuscript, and will happily give you an attitude if you try and contact them directly.

Since this is a CYOA-inspired website, I should point out the history of the actual Choose Your Own Adventure series. That was the brainchild of Edward Packard, who came up with the idea circa 1969. His attempts to publish his first book, Sugarcane Island, were completely unsuccessful. The Vermont publisher R. A. Montgomery was mildly successful publishing the early books on a small scale in the 1970s, but it was basically a lucky break in the early 80s that made the books a commercial success on an international scale

Myself, I have published non-fiction several times since 2001, both through my own small business and through established publishers (one on each coast, now that I think of it). But I am here on this website because a recent attempt to branch into other opportunities hit an abrupt brick wall. Therefore even in the publishing business, past successes is no guarantee of future performance. You are basically trying to rise above a crowd of talented hobbyists and vanity authors, therefore to get noticed you have to demonstrate a talent and an idea that no one else possesses.

And a lucky break here and there doesn't hurt, either.

4 years ago

Thanks for the advice. But I think there are some sites online where people just put up their own stories for free. I was wondering about those.