Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

New Game Idea: Uproot

16 years ago

Game Description

Your team is part of a secret organization deep within the government. Your team was trained to be the best, make the best decisions, and always succeed. Your team put their lives in danger for the citizens of the State, and completed many successful missions.

Now the CIA is uprooting the organization. Forcing allegations of conspiracy and treason on your organization. You need to escape from their hold, and work to find out who is behind all of this.

You get to control a total of four characters throughout this story.

Introduction (First Page)

What is the Team?
The Team is a secret organization deep within the government. Outside the Team itself, only a handful of people know of its existence.

What do they do?
The Team was trained to be the best, make the best decisions, and always succeed. The Team has put their lives in danger for its people, and have completed many successful missions that the regular military could not, or would not be able to do.

The problem.
After returning from a mission, the Team and its commander learn that they are being investigated by the Central Intelligence Agency. Forcing allegations of conspiracy and treason on this organization. 

Your job.
The CIA cannot win this affair, as the men of the Team are innocent and vital to the country. The Team needs to escape from their hold, and work to find out who is behind all the allegations.

The Team Information.
The Team is comprised of four soldiers and one commander. You will play as a each of the five characters throughout the story.

The five members are:

Ryan Smith
Taylor Johnson
Diego Sanchez
Joseph Harris

Each colour and font signifies which point of view the player is playing from. At the beginning, the player is introduced to all of the characters, and there are many switches, however, afterwards, perspectives remain constant for long periods of time before changing. Also, the name of the character is also displayed at the top of each page.

Alright guys, what do you think about this? It is currently being done in the classic editor and i have just finished the introduction-start off-foundation part of it... the CYOA side of it is not like, kick the guy, drive down a certain road, but in fact you make bigger decisions that follow a story. I dont know if that made much sense, but if u wanna see whats done already, i can make u a coauthor...

16 years ago
Also, i need a better name idea for this game.

16 years ago
Got no idea what to call it, but it sounds like a good storygame anyway.

16 years ago
Sounds great! I love military/agent conspiracies and stuff like that :) Hope it works out!

16 years ago
Thank you guys :)

16 years ago
Hmm, good idea, reminds me of the ICG in ice station, except this team is good. Try to have a twist at the end, like one of the team members being a traitor, or something to do with the Roswell UFO crash...

16 years ago
Thanks for reminding me, Rommel. These guys remind me of those guys in Dan Brown's "Deception Point".

16 years ago

"The five members are:

Ryan Smith
Taylor Johnson
Diego Sanchez
Joseph Harris"

And the mysterious invisible fifth member?

16 years ago
awww does it still say fifth? damn, i originally had it at six, theni changed it to five, then four, i thought i had already changed the numbers to four. Thanks for spotting that seth! lol

16 years ago

by the way, action sequences will be read, and you can choose what you do sometimes, but it wont be like "Aim at the guy on the left", "Aim at the guy on the right". It will be, Use your pistol, outrun them... blah blah... cuz its not in the adv editor...

16 years ago
sounds pretty cool-- I like the idea of different font/color for different characters.

16 years ago
wow, i made afew of those mistakes throughout that page :O

16 years ago
I'm now doing forum storygames, as you can improvise, and thus have a huge array of options with little effort... Hmm, this medium has obvious advantages....

16 years ago

Howbout for a game name:

Covert Distrust

16 years ago
Wow, that sounds great, darknuth! I will note that in the game description, and when it comes time to publish, i will focus more on it!

More Info

16 years ago
I have another game idea in mind at this time. But i am not gonna post it in the forums as i would very much like to focus on finishing this game first. However, you can look at my profile at Zero Pain for a sneak peek. I plan to release Uproot and Zero Pain this summer, as well as cryptode 2. Yes, solo is preparing to go on a rampage this summer :P

16 years ago
I am now 36 pages into Uproot, the joseph harris perspective is complete for the intro and the ryan smith/sanchez perspective is currenly being worked on for the intro. After that, it gets fun because the plot develops even further and a few twists and turns envelope. I now finally have chosen who the bad guy is, how everything unfolds etc. but i have not yet decided how to end it... like i have a few variations on how it will end... maybe i will be able to use all of them if i put some serious "choose" in "choose your own adventure" lol!

Update on Uproot

16 years ago
title change

Question!!!

16 years ago

Currently, as you know, i have a few stories going at once, well, for the intro, you get to pick who you want to start off as, well, this is what happens:

If Guy #1 startoff then -> go through his intro -> after his intro, go through guy#2 intro
If Guy #2 starts off then -> go through his intro -> after his intro, go through guy #1 intro

Now, thats all fine because if you went through guy#1, eventually you play through guy #2 and vice versa, but the question that i have is, after youve gone through both intro's is it alright if you see these links at the end of the intro page for guy #1:

If you have gone through both intros, continue to the rest of the story
Read Guy #2's intro

and at the end of the intro pages for guy #2, it has these links:

If you have gone through both intros, continue to the rest of the story
Ready Guy #1's intro

is that alright?

16 years ago
Sounds cool.

16 years ago
woot! someone actually responded :P lol thanks!

16 years ago
I don't see what the problem was/is with doing it that way.  I mean, otherwise, you'd have to make a variable just to keep track of whether or not you'd read the other intro, right? 

16 years ago
its a classic editor game, if it werent, i wouldnt have this problem lol!

16 years ago
Well, you could just make it an advanced editor storygame :P

Another Update: Uproot

16 years ago

Well, this game will be published eventually, i promise you that. I am not going to give up on this game.

Currently i am 45 pages in or so, the intro Harris is complete, the intro for Sanchez and Smith is ALMOST complete, and when you finish one intro, there is a link to read the other characters intro, and then it will say, if you have read both intros, continue by clicking here...

also, although 45 pages is not much, i have a lot of description on almost every single page... so that is also the reason why it is taking me so long to write...

16 years ago

Oh, I didn't see the part about classic editor before.

On a side note, Zero Pain is absolutely the coolest title I've heard in a long time. 

16 years ago
really!!!???!!! omg alright, thats settled then, im keeping it zero pain LOL!

16 years ago

Ah, I didn't even see that part of your profile about thinking of changing the name.  I didn't even read what the game was about.  I just saw the title in the thread above (and thought "damn if that doesn't sound like the kind of kickass action game for PS3 or Xbox360 at which I absolutely suck."  Or possibly a metal band.  Either way, it's f****** sweet.)

16 years ago
lol thank you :D

One More Update

16 years ago
Hey guys, just giving you another update, ive finished alot of the game now, ive implemted a grid system, and currently i gotta finsih off the plot that goes with the grid system, and then its basically the ending part which is thought out and all, just need to actually write it :D

One More Update

16 years ago
Cool dude, whats the length gonna be like? 7? 8? 

One More Update

16 years ago
haha i was thinking 10, 11 :P:P

One More Update

16 years ago
So, 8?

One More Update

16 years ago
actually, i dont know what 150 - 200 pages is, since thats what it looks like from now... prolly, 7...

One More Update

16 years ago
im being realistic now...

One More Update

16 years ago
Thats an 8 at your text per page.

One More Update

16 years ago
yes, hope it evaluates it like that...

One More Update

16 years ago
I helped write it and it does indeed.  Thats the most important aspect.  (because isnt it the most important when your reading it?)

One More Update

16 years ago
yes, but what i meant is i hope it evaluates it as an 8...

One More Update

16 years ago
oh well it should. You need a certain amount of points and every page thats over double the average page on the site (I think) counts as like 10 points etc.

One More Update

16 years ago
o goody lol, ive got more than that :D

One More Update

16 years ago
Well I cant wait.  That and the project with Nate.