Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Player ratings

7 years ago

So I have been noticing this problem for a while but it's not exactly the most important thing ever so I've held off mentioning it. It seems there is either a problem with player ratings or there is a problem with the player ratings detailed chart. I've looked at around ten story games to see if they have this same issues and, at least on my device, all the ones I checked do. I took a random sample, stories ranging from top story games to brand new, lowly rated story games. 

If you look at the rating for a story game it will give you a number (1-8) and tell you how many ratings went into that number. The number of ratings leads you to a link and lists the number of people that gave you each numbered score. The problem is that the numbers don't make sense. For the sake of courtesy, I will use my own (bad) storygame as an example, but as afore mentioned, many, if not all, games seem to suffer from this issue. 

If you look at the 'player rating' section on The Ballad of the Orchard, it will say that it has a 5.19/8 rating based on 48 ratings. Then, if you click on the link that says, "48 ratings," it will lead you to a chart giving the details on what has led to the rating. However, the chart contradicts what the rating and number of ratings say. When I wrote this the chart said:

1--0
2--0
3--5
4--8
5--15
6--15
7--4
8--10

If you add the number of ratings the chart gives, it says that 57 people have rated the story, despite the 'player rating' saying that only 48 people had rated the story. What's more, is that if you take the average of the scores, it comes out to be 5.61 rather than 5.19.

These numbers aren't really that far apart so it doesn't make much of a difference on my story. However, other stories have far different ratings on their charts, that have more scores, than the 'player rating' section that has hundreds, or in at least one case thousands, fewer ratings. 

Player ratings

7 years ago

Not a bug. This is a result of the site detecting and discarding certain ratings, for good reason.

Player ratings

7 years ago

Adding to what 3J said, I believe the total ratings it lists is based on individual IPs (for guests) and accounts (for registered users). If someone replays a game they already voted on, and rates the game again, it doesn't increase the total ratings credited but still adds a +1 to the 1 through 8 tally given to the game. This has no impact on the score, so people can't vote multiple times to artificially change it. Votes on your own storygame don't count either.

This is more noticeable on storygames that have been replayed quite a bit, and sometimes you'll see a game with a lot of higher ratings but a lower score than expected based on that distribution. This is usually because it's been replayed and rated again (via end game and leave comments) by people who already rated it high, which makes sense since someone who likes it a lot is more likely to read/play it again.