Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

I'm a Chef, I Know Things

4 years ago

Gah, I just don't like the taste and texture of canned meat and fish! There is no actual problem with it other than that, okay?!

Unless you eat it straight out of the can, in which case the person becomes the problem.

Look, if I lose, I will write that essay AND explain why I am wrong. If I win, I will write that essay, but not hide the fact that I'm not the one with broken tastebuds. 

4 years ago
Canned meat and fish is delicious

4 years ago

Yeah, but not as good as real meat and fish, with all of its juices and fat. All you get out of the can is lean meat soaking in broth or water.

Good for emergencies or bunkers, not nearly as good as a snack.

4 years ago
I like Spam

4 years ago
I just don't get why it's so hard to write a thousand words about why you're RIGHT about something on the internet and everyone else is wrong. Especially when it's something you've demonstrated strong feelings about. I can write a thousand words about anything. And for all you say you don't have a problem with it, then you go on and do baffling things like say food is no longer "real" or that the taste is automatically objectionable, just because it's sealed in a container in a pressure cooking process that further infuses it with flavor, after being seasoned in one of a thousand different ways. (Just pointing out again that you yourself eat meat that's been cooked and preserved inside pig intestines without batting an eye...) When does the food cease to be "real?" Your earlier description of 'soggy/gummy/mushy in broth or water' makes me think something like peas or perhaps actual baby food are the only canned food you've ever eaten. It wouldn't describe the taste or texture of any of the fish that was what started this argument (none of which you've never had). At the very least I'd like you to define your stance on what is or isn't acceptable and what is the magic line that makes it that way, so we can even know what we're arguing here. Do you eat chili or ravioli out of a can? Soup? Would you put food of any description in a tupperware container and then eat it the next day? We have to know these things in order to have common ground from which to argue from, or tragic misunderstandings may happen. Can you use some of that culinary school experience to give pointers on what needs to be done with extremely flavorful and already heavily seasoned pressure cooked food so that one can't be accused of having 'broken tastebuds'? I mean, this isn't a complicated question like asking you to tell a giant picnic roast of pork with the bone in it apart from chicken... but maybe the real answer is just that you have zero actual experience with the thing you're trying to argue against. Which leads to the question: what was your deep seated childhood trauma that led to these feelings? Was it that time you tried to masturbate with a can opener shortly after entering puberty? 398 words. That's over a third of the length you were aiming for and I just pulled that from my ass in under ten minutes based on the tiny amount you've given me to work with. This isn't difficult. Why are you fighting it?

4 years ago
Yeah, but you like canned meat. So your opinion is invalid.

4 years ago

I've eaten spam, tuna, salmon, and octopus straight out the can.

Hell, I've been known to eat soup and various Chef Boyardee products without heating them up first straight out of a can.

Ain't got time for all that cooking shit.

4 years ago
What's the texture of canned octopus like? Closest I've had is fried squid.

4 years ago

Mostly smooth (not slimey), though they have those little suckers on the tentacles and those are a little chewier. Tastes mildly "coppery" when I've had it out of a can.

Of course when it's cooked proper, it tastes different.

4 years ago
I'll look for it next time I am at the store.

4 years ago
Read the fine print and don't get anything from China.

4 years ago
Noted.

4 years ago

I can't really find canned octopus anymore. I just looked for it in the grocery store and didn't find it as usual.

Anyway, while at the store I loaded up on lots of canned food.

4 years ago
If not for brave men like you, the Nazis would have won.