Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

IWT XI (the 11th annual tournament)

9 years ago
Details have been posted for the 11th Infinite Writing Tournament and you are all invited.!

http://forums.infinite-story.com/showthread.php?t=2909

9 years ago

Good idea DEP, just wondering with all the other contests going on if anyone will have time.

Still the benefit of this one is the deadline usually gets extended a couple times and nobody actually works on their story until the last minute, so it's a good one if you're a big procrastinator.

Plus you don't have to submit something completely finished. As long as it's 20 pages, you'll avoid SHAME.

Still you should sign up at least a few months in advance just so the Contest Overseer can randomly give out the tropes you'll have to work with for the story.

9 years ago

I always have to ask. Are you guys open to having storygames published on this website, entered into the contest, providing that they follow all other contest rules? I really think more users will be into entering if they can use our editor. I know you're not a huge proponent of scripting/variables/items in storygames, but if they are really so bad, I don't see how they could improve an entry.

Let us know.

9 years ago

Cross posted this thread over in the IS Tournament thread.

Personally it wouldn't bother me if stories for the contest were written over here, but BatCountry is the one in charge of the contest this year, so I figure he can make the final decision on things.

9 years ago

Some nice drama happening from it haha.

9 years ago

Yep, we get "heated" over there at times.

I wouldn't be surprised of being accused of "going CYS native" or something. Oh well.

9 years ago

I can't get over the amount of SHAME, SCORN and the newly created BANISHED FROM TIME AND SPACE, existing in that thread.

That guy you're arguing with is pretty funny though. He seems to be trying really hard to sound sophisticated while complaining and threatening to drop out if he doesn't get his way.

9 years ago

Oh that's Ves. She's very... passionate about her beliefs.

Anyway, we've made up now, which is normally what we do, so sadly the drama fun is over for you guys. Lol.

9 years ago

Damn.

As for the actual argument I actually agree with their sentiment of not allowing the CYS editor. A contest hosted by a site is presumably done for the sake of that site (in IFs case it was more of a general contest, not a site specific one). Allowing CYS stories would be counterproductive, as it'd draw attention away from the host site.

I did find some of their rational funny though.

9 years ago

Yeah, that's a pretty valid argument. It depends on whether or not you would rather have more entries or more stories posted on IS.

Edit: Damn, I want to go post over there but I can't remember my password for the life of me. Since I joined IS in 2007, I've gone through so many passwords and I used all 5 of my login attempts. By the way @Endmaster @Donteatpoop I don't think the 'forgot my password' functionality works! :(

In essence, I just wanted to point out that I'm not trying to subvert IS. I don't think Vesnic, or most of the IS crew would fit in well here and I don't think that most of the CYS crew would fit in well over there. I think it's great that there are two separate communities, with some travelers. My suggestion was an attempt to try and get more entrants for the IS contest, because I think that we should always be promoting writing. That being said, I'm not even sure that I'd make a different decision than you've made. It was simply a suggestion.

Just to respond to the specific comments that Vesnic made about me:

----------------------

"Doesn't it raise just the smallest red flag that this is coming from 3J? He's the same one who got into things the last time and started talking about some sort of collaboration as if it were a foregone conclusion, which Usoki called him on several times."

To be honest, I have no idea what happened last time this came up. I do remember a thread with a poll and the IS users voting not to allow stories posted elsewhere to be entered. I was a lot younger and probably said some stupid things, while arguing for my position. Frankly, I'm just impressed with Vesnic's excellent memory and ability to hold a grudge.

However, is there anything wrong with talking about a collaboration happening? How, exactly, does that weaken my suggestion that IS allows CYS stories to be entered. Like I said earlier, I honestly am not personally vested in the outcome of this decision (which is good, since it's already been made), but I really don't understand why anyone cares that I'm the one who suggested it, this time.

----------------------

In fact, since 3J has dual membership and he's the one who keeps instigating, then why doesn't he also organize it rather than playing dumb and disingenuously asking the same questions which were already thoroughly answered the last time?

Again, I'm not sure what Vesnic thinks my motivations are. I don't see how I'm 'instigating' anything. I made a suggestion, that I think would get people writing more, and that's the end of it. I don't care how that suggestion is handled, and I have absolutely no motivation to try and host a contest involving IS users. Being a contest organizer for IS users seems like an incredibly infuriating, drawn out and dramatic process that I don't really want to be responsible for handling. When we host our next contest here,  we will talk about whether or not stories will be allowed to be hosted on IS and also entered into the contest. I don't care either way and we'll let the community/owners make that decision.

Reiterating: I'm honestly not surprised that you guys don't want CYS stories entered into your contest, I think that's fair enough, it was just a suggestion.

One thing though, how were my comments disingenuous? I was frank about what I was saying, and I specifically stated that I knew that it had been brought up before (I 'always' have to ask) so I'm not sure how that could be construed as insincere or 'playing dumb'.

----------------------

3J is familiar with us after years of existing on both sites, so I don't see why he couldn't have taken that considerable space of time when Bat was still mulling things over to come on over here and make his suggestion directly. That would have made fantastic sense.

Paperback Writer
Last Activity: 02-17-2012 08:28 PM

Yes, Vesnic, I'm totally active on both sites and I purposefully waited until this very moment to bring my master plan to fruition!

I'll go post this at IS if my password is sent to my e-mail. I don't want Vesnic to think that I'm being disingenuous by posting over here!

9 years ago

Well, doesn't IS seem like a fun community

9 years ago

It can be fun. As a group, they're awesomely hilarious, they have a great collective sense of humor.

9 years ago
Hi guys, sorry... I didn't think there would be confusion. The contest is over there (which is why I included a link), so the stories would also be over there. If you would like to join the contest; go over to Infinite-Story and sign up (or log in if you already have an account).

It wouldn't be fair to have a contest on CYS with stories only available on IS being counted as entries.

We would love to have you, but you would need to do so on infinite-story.

9 years ago
JJJ, let me know if I need to reset your password.

Ignore the drama, please. It's generally more chill over there than it is over here. No offense, everyone; but I tend to remain even more quiet over here than anywhere else on the net because I've had a few instances where people's feathers were ruffled.

I guess everyone loses their cool sometimes though. This one just happened to occur when I was trying to recruit new people to enter the contest. Perfect timing!

That being said, you don't have to involve yourself in the forums to enter; other than to say "I'm in, what are my tropes?"

Hope this helps clarify, and sorry for the sudden unanticipated onset of drama.

9 years ago

I don't think there was any confusion. No one here thought that we could enter from here, I was just asking if you'd be willing to allow that. It's all good.

As for whether or not a contest hosted by CYS would be allowed to have IS stories, that would be a community vote but I wouldn't be against it. I wouldn't have brought it up if I would be against it happening in the other direction.