Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

How to review a storygame?

5 years ago
I suck at writing reviews. I’m sure someone out there has tips for writing a good review, or a template/things to talk about in a review.

Also, a question: should I start with the more famous storygames for a good read but have been reviewed a hundred times, or start with the New Storygames category where the games haven’t all been reviewed yet but they’re usually terrible?

5 years ago
Just review the ones you feel strongly about, one way or another. If you don't feel that way about a story, don't bother at this point. It'll be easier to develop your reviewing style if you're invested in what you're trying to put forth.

5 years ago

You would usually tell them what you like and dislike about their story

5 years ago
For one, don't force yourself to read stories you don't enjoy unless you actually get something out of critiquing them.

Whatever the case, a full, detailed essay review isn't even necessary unless you really have that many things you want to address. It can be enough just to give a few thoughts on the story.

If you need a simple checklist as a guide, just look at all the things that would go into creating a story: setting, characters, conflict, and the resolution of the conflict, along with the technical aspects like grammar and punctuation and how much actual branching and choice there was. Then just talk a little about whatever made the strongest impression on you about any of those.