Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

RPG Attributes for my Cave Reboot

7 years ago

I'm working on a reinvention of The Cave, and want to incorporate RPG elements for combat and exploration.

The elements that I want to incorporate are more in line to the Fallout/Elder Scrolls philosophy towards character development.  I want to do a few more, but not go too overboard, because I want there to be traits that players want to develop, as opposed to just picking and choosing from, like, 40 traits.  And I also want to make sure that these attributes are actually used in the game.  Here's what I have so far.

Intuition - The opportunity to take chances in exploring.  There's a few areas I want to do that'll be off-limits unless you have the necessary Intuition levels needed to unlock access to them.  The thing I want to do is not make them too obvious, like "Maybe if you knew how to swing from a rope, you'd get to the other side".  I was thinking more about noticing anomalies in the area, or experimenting with transportation.  Once you reach the area, you're free to visit it no matter what, since you passed the Intuition check.

Survival - The opportunity to live off the land.  Every time you explore an area, you can do a survival roll to forage.  Depending on the area, and your Survival level, you may find useful items, food, or dangerous enemies if you're unlucky.  A low Survival skill means you're likely to find nothing or accidentally encounter enemies, while a higher Survival skill

Decorum - The ability to chat with people in a civil manner.  A high Decorum would allow for the player to engage in polite feedback, which could open doors in the game, where they can sweettalk a guard to look the other way.  A low Decorum, however, yields more snide comments, which doesn't get you anywhere, unless you're in a rough area where being a jerk makes you one of the boys.

I want to do Intelligence, Strength, and Speed... but if there's anything you'd like to see added, go on ahead.

7 years ago
Sounds pretty cool! You have a grasp of the scripting needed to pull this of already, right?

7 years ago

Sounds interesting. To be honest, you could keep just Intuition, Survival, and Decorum as the only skills (leave the other 'skills' to either rolls or the player's choices)

I was reading and came across this article on old IF design being based around caves. The article wasn't too relevant for my work, but I suspect it may be of use to this http://ifarchive.jmac.org/if-archive/info/Craft.Of.Adventure.pdf