Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Tide-Pocalypse

6 years ago

In the not so distant future, the world has become completely obsessed with the tide pod challenge, but there's one thing they didn't foresee.....

Over the previous decade over 3/4 of the human population has died off, after the tide pod challenge took off.  At first it was just some simple videos for fun, after some people took a meme way too seriously.  Soon people at school and the workplace began seeing who could eat more tide pods before someone needed to call poison control.  Then it became an Olympic sporting event, but the population was dying off from this faster than anyone could have imagined...

The year is late 2027, and President Anderson has just finished getting suited up for another day in the office.  Finishing his morning coffee and looking in the mirror to straighten out his tie.  A loud knock on the door resounds, startling the first lady from her sleep.

Briskly President Anderson walks over and opens the door.  A distraught assistant pants at the door, two secret servicemen stand behind her.

"Mr. President, we have an emergency."

They walk over to the Presidential Emergency Operations Center.  The cabinet and his closest advisors and generals sit, all with haunted looks on their face.

"What in the hell is going on?" Anderson asks. 

"It's not looking good Mr. President," an advisor says.

A general swivels around and presses a button on a remote, causing panel in the wall to open up.  It reveals dozens of monitors, all showing various youtube videos and public surveillance videos.  Dozens of teenagers and young adults can be seen consuming tide pod after tide pod.  Trucks crash and bodies line the street as this dangerous substance is eaten by the handful.

"My God," the President says,"call in the National Guard, confiscate all Tide Pods, get the hospitals on the clock double time."

Several advisors, secretaries, and generals spring into action.

Within the following weeks the country vastly declines from there.  Soldiers and policemen and gunned down and bombed as people fight to regain control over the tide pods.  As the military presence eventually declines into a few small enclaves, the remaining citizens all fight each other over tide pods.  

With the country weakened various other countries commit small time raids to get as many tide pods as possible.  The streets become barren and millions die.  

The President, hair whitened and lack of sleep apparent, eyes sunken in and appearing decades older than he really is, walks into the Emergency Operations Center.  

"Oh no..." President Anderson says.

Slumped down in all the chairs are his top advisors, secretaries, and generals.  Cyanide capsules laying around in abundance, as their empty soul less eyes stare at the ceiling or floor, mouths having foamed over. There is one cyanide capsule sitting in front of Anderson's chair with a note.

I'm sorry sir, we've failed you, I failed you.  Till we meet again.

Yours faithfully,

Vice President Jordan Carter.

Anderson pats the long deceased Vice President's shoulder.

"No my friend," he says,"I've failed you."

President Anderson walks out and slowly makes his way to his bedroom.  All the time looking at the fire and havoc the wreaks across this once great country.  

Entering the room he finds his wife and son gone, apparently having been taken to an emergency bunker.  A secret serviceman enters.

"Sir, we're ready to take you to the Presidential Bunker," he says.

"That won't be necessary."

"Sir?"

"It's my fault, I should have tried to prevent this sooner.  Like a good captain to his ship, I the President...falls with his country."

The serviceman nods with a tear in his eye.

"Mr. President....you can't..."

Anderson puts a hand on his shoulder.

"Any minute now this place will probably be raided by people looking for tide pods.  Go...save yourself and your family."

The President and the serviceman trade one last salute before he goes off to fulfill his final order.

Once he is gone President Anderson stares out the window looking at the fires that plague the country, the roaming bands of raiders looking for pods.

Anderson takes the cyanide pill out of his pocket....before tossing it on the ground.

"I'm sorry America, I have failed you."

Anderson takes a handful of tide pods from his pocket, as ingests them he feels a sharp throbbing pain in his heart and head....and then peace.