Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Romance Story Contest Advice

6 years ago

Hello y'all, I seem to have hit a slump in writing my story for the contest.  It is currently at about 5,000 words, but I recently ran out of steam and all of my school and work obligations leave me kinda brain dead some days.

Any advice on how to pick up the slack would be greatly appreciated.

6 years ago

Well, I do odd things. For example, I asked what sexual degeneracy the site wanted, and now I have so much to work with. :)

Read: I've been reading Exodus, Greek Mythology, Epic of Gilgamesh, Inferno and other old writings. It's been inspiring.

Suck it up: I'm really tired too, but beutiful  works can come from trying circumstances. Plus, it makes a better story behind the story. :)

Find ways to end your storygame: a good 10k game is better than a iffy 20k one.

Ask site mebers to mock you unceasingly if you don't do enouph. I bet my account once and it worked quite well for motivation.

6 years ago
It's hard to give advice without knowing much about your plot or where you got stuck.

I've been told that if you get bored or struggle to get through a scene, it's because subconsciously you know there's something wrong with it and it's just not working for the story somehow. Might help to tweak the plot a little or at least think of another angle on the part you're trying to write.

Or if it's a big plot and you don't think you'll have time to get to it all, maybe try to rework the core idea into something a little less ambitious that still keeps the elements you like and lets you salvage some of what you're already written.

6 years ago

Thanks you two, I will try some of these suggestions, and write some more of my story.

6 years ago
One thing that's fun, if you're up to the challenge, is 'the most dangerous writing app'. You set boundaries, say, 500 words, and if you stop typing for more than 5 seconds all your work is deleted. It's a really good way to force yourself to spew out some bullshit that you can edit later!

http://www.themostdangerouswritingapp.com

6 years ago

I'll have to try it sometime, but saying as I typed over 2,000 words the night I posted this I would say I got my second wind lol