Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

I have an...idea?

4 years ago

I've started working on a storygame, and I kind of need an outside perspective. The concept is that you are interviewing an Artificial Intelligent robot that looks and behaves like a regular human. 

Here's a brief dialogue that explains the situation.

"Your job is to interact with him daily. Remember, you must never let him find out that he isn't human."
"He really thinks he's..."
"Yes. And we intend to keep him thinking that way. Which is where you come in. Now, here's your assignment..."

The whole storygame is choosing how to interact with the AI, and whether or not you'll follow your orders.

What makes someone human, anyway? 

Hm....

I don't plan on making this too long. Any feedback is appreciated!

I have an...idea?

4 years ago

A good concept, plenty of room to explore interesting ideas.

Not making it too long is a good idea as well, as it makes it more likely to get finished, aha.

My advice would be:

Realism

Is this trying to be more realistic? Think about it, since if it is you might want to do some research. There is a lot of information about philosophy and AI out there, so you might find some interesting things if you go digging a bit.

You also want to maintain a believable world, you don't need it to be 100% scientific, but you want it to make sense. Internal consistency and all that. So just be consistent with whatever world you start setting up.

Research is something that gets overlooked, which is why I wanted to mention it. Even if the story is not particularly realistic it can still prove useful, again, depends.

Write

With shorter stories, getting a first draft finished can prove highly beneficial when it comes to polishing things up. With that said, you should of course do what works for you. Just don't put off the actual writing too long (unless you really know what you're doing, I guess).

Writing

Be careful with ellipses (...) as overusing them can be a bit... iffy. Other than that, once you write more for the story, give it a proofread and then consider sharing. This can help get feedback on the technical side of things, which can save you a lot of headaches later.

Dialogue punctuation is something most people get wrong, so consider reading Gower's article on it! He has other great articles too, which are basically condensed courses! Totally worth reading.

Conclusion

Sounds good, now get writing!

I have an...idea?

4 years ago

Thanks! I'll tone down on the ellipses, and start getting to work! Thanks for the advice :D