Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

The redesign of my game.

3 years ago

A few days back, I posted the intro page to a storygame I was writing. 

I had originally planned for it to become a maze game, but as I expanded the map and brainstormed my work, I came to a conclusion.

It was plain boring.

Aside from the first page, the other "rooms" are mostly the same, as vision is concealed and no details are revealed(I wanted a genuine maze). I, the author felt bored writing this, not to mention the readers. Writing on that game became less and less, my thoughts less directed towards there and instead my "backup plan", which seemed more like a main plan now.

i considered giving up on this, but decided against it, I had worked decently hard, and simply abandoning a story isn't really my style. I eventually decided to scrap that idea, change the concept, and make it a shorter story(I had probably bitten off more than I can chew, as do most newbs do)

So here I am, with a shorter sci-fi ish story.

Thoughts? Was my decision a decent one, or am I a stupid fuck?

The redesign of my game.

3 years ago

It's not a bad idea to start over or rescale, especially if something is boring you. You can always mull on the maze idea and revisit it someday when you have a game or two done.

The redesign of my game.

3 years ago
Mazes are universally reviled, so you made a good decision.

I'd steer clear of puzzle games altogether, at least until you've finished one that's more plot based just to demonstrate that you can. Puzzles just aren't that exciting in this format by themselves, you really need a plot to tie them together.

The redesign of my game.

3 years ago

Aye, 

I did think that the maze would leave readers(what would they even be "reading"?) bored.

So, I took my first page, and started working on a more plot-based story.