Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Fire and Ice magic ideas

2 years ago

I'm trying to write a puzzle game about a traveling wizard. Does anyone have any ideas for things he could do with fire and ice spells besides the obvious?

So far I have making a bridge of ice to escape a bear, and then melting it to drop the bear in the river.

Fire and Ice magic ideas

2 years ago
Open a restaurant! The drinks are always cold and the soup is always hot.

If someone calls the medieval health department on you, you can kill them by literally freezing the blood in their veins, something the medieval forensics experts may have difficulty figuring out if there's enough time for them to thaw.

Fire and Ice magic ideas

2 years ago

So, what confuses me here is that the wizard is capable of creating an ice bridge (with ice magic) and then melting it (with fire magic). Can't he just freeze/burn the bear? Does he feel like killing a bear is morally dubious?

Anyway, doing puzzles that are solved with fire & ice can be a fun gimmick.

To avoid rambling, I'd say think about:

• The Wizard's Motivation.
    Why is he traveling the world? Is there a destination? How you answer this can give you some idea of where to put puzzles (and maybe what kind, too).
  • Types of Puzzles.
    Your example makes it seem like the puzzles will be trying to solve conflicts with logic (using the magic). If that's right, just think of more conflicts based on where the wizard is going, and see what solutions you can come up with.
  • Magic System.
    There are lots of ways to handle magic, but generally consider if there are limitations and what they might be. Having the reader know what the limitations are can help inform their choices when trying to solve puzzles, but you knowing the limitations can also help you come up with the puzzles.

Regarding examples, I'll leave it up to more creative folk. Mizal's idea is certainly not an obvious one, aha.

Fire and Ice magic ideas

2 years ago
Just a suggestion for veggies, but wizards can be driven by desires just like normal people, and so I think the wizard's motivation should be finding fresh bread for a world class sandwich.

Fire and Ice magic ideas

2 years ago

Create an aircraft by building a big glider and then steering it with gusts of hot and cold air 

Fire and Ice magic ideas

2 years ago

Interesting, I really like this one! 

Mizal's ideas are...um....I think she was just hungry.

Fire and Ice magic ideas

2 years ago
Well....you're not wrong.