The Miracle of Jess

Player Rating5.14/8

"Too few ratings to be ranked"
based on 37 ratings since 11/15/2014
played 336 times (finished 28)

"walk in the park"

"Not going to lose any sleep"

"aren't you a little too old to be trick or treating"
Some material may be inappropriate for persons under age 13. If this were a movie, it would probably be PG-13.

"The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles."

Venture into the life of Jessica Rowell, an ordinary young woman in the heart of London. She yearns for something beyond the everyday boredom of normal life, but never receives the perfect opportunity. But one night, when she goes into town, she meets a man. And that is where her life changes forever...

NOTE: I do not own anything related to the Doctor Who franchise. I only own my OC, Jess Rowell. Everything else is simply not mine. I give all credit to the owners and writers of Doctor Who.

This storygame is a 99% linear story, clearly written as a straight-up narrative rather than with true interactivity. There is some use of items early on (these sort of fall away 1/3 of the way through, and they are never used in any particularly interesting way--the key goes in the lock.)

There are a couple of choices which, if you choose to push against the stream of the story, push you right back into the main narrative. "Go with the Doctor/Don't go with the Doctor"--both, of course, make you go with the Doctor.

I am not at all a Doctor Who fan. I know enough of it to be able to tell this is sort of a "best-of" mixer of some of the major enemies and types of plots. The main character here is a total dud. Perhaps this is typical for Companions. But she does little--*can* do little, because there are not choice. At one point someone actually says, "Get behind me, my lady!" to her.

Writing-wise, the story is serviceable, but not great. Serious punctuation and sentence-level errors show up on nearly every page, but the writing is totally readable, and there's some narrative momentum. I think this would have been much better just as a story--as an attempt at interactivity, it's a tough read.
-- Gower on 9/30/2019 7:01:30 PM with a score of 0
Although I am not a fan of Dr. Who and sometimes didn't understand what was going on, it will be hard to find a fan fiction story game as well written as this one!
-- Troppy on 6/24/2017 2:15:20 AM with a score of 0
Great story. You got me really interested about Doctor who! I just might start watching the series!

I think this could even be considered feature-worthy if not for its linearity. That was my only problem. It was too freaking linear. Otherwise, this was awesome.
-- Penworth on 6/5/2015 11:19:50 AM with a score of 0
Wooooo Doctor Who
-- Isanshan on 5/7/2015 3:27:55 PM with a score of 0
Good game I can't figure out how to beat it though.
-- Fableheath on 3/10/2015 12:18:30 PM with a score of 0
is there another 1 coming anytime soon?
-- warriorcats64 on 2/8/2015 8:17:25 PM with a score of 0
It was well written, especially for a fan-fiction, but... As others noted, there were very little options that actually made a differences if any. You were kinda forced down one route.
Fan-fiction being mixed with 'Choose your own adventures' can be a really cool way to go, with the different paths, etc. Unfortunately, you didn't utilize that.
As it is, and you even admitted this, it's just a (good!) fan-fiction, not a CYOA game.
-- Tanstaafl on 10/3/2014 10:56:20 AM with a score of 0
I really don't understand nor do I like, or have seen doctor who before. Honestly, I just dislike how everyone talks about it (I haven't quite pinned down if it's a book or a movie series; I know it's one of the two). The game was pretty linear, as in, not many choices for a choose-your-own-adventure game. Nonetheless I was impressed by the vocabulary and execution of the text to insure that my experience was at least somewhat enjoyable.
-- Ford on 10/3/2014 1:05:52 AM with a score of 0
You had good grammar and spelling, and the game was pretty long. It was pretty linear, though, and I feel that you could have branched out different bits of it. Are you making another? You should. I really want to know what happens. I do recommend you unpublish this one and add to it if you want to continue the story, it tends to be better for readers. Good job. 5/8.
-- AngelOfThatThing on 10/2/2014 10:52:15 PM with a score of 0