Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Sonnet 87

4 years ago
Commended by JJJ-thebanisher on 9/24/2019 3:52:19 AM

The fragrant mist seeped into the pores of my body, soothing them with steamy warmth. Water trickled down, suspended in the air for mere moments, to crash into the ceramic tiles below. The ventilator had broken months ago; I tried to look past the glass pane, but it was much too opaque. All I could see was the bright blur of a fluorescent light.

I slid my right palm over the glass, temporarily sweeping away some moisture. Sometimes I would see the bathroom, completely empty, with the tap dripping into the lonely sink. Sometimes, I would see Laura’s back stooped over towards the frameless mirror, applying mascara or lipstick as she delicately painted her blank canvas.

But it was always just a glimpse.

The surrounding vapour would quickly deliquesce, and my peephole would blend back into the smeary glass. It was frustrating. I felt impaired.

I turned away and lifted the shampoo bottle. ‘Strange’, I thought. ‘Didn’t I open a new one just yesterday?’ It was half-empty already. The middle of the vessel dipped and curved as though it had been squeezed repeatedly for a month. After extracting a suitable dollop, I replaced the container – this time placing it upright and parallel to the conditioner and the body wash.

By the time I stepped out of the shower, Laura would not be there. She was never there. In the morning, she would already be on the way to work or dropping Michael off at school. At night, she would already have tucked herself into bed. Tonight was no different.

I reached for a towel, only to find a whole pile of them clumped together on the rack. The mess was less annoying than it should have been... Yes, a man should come home and – okay she does have a job – but it is her house as well. In the past month, she had begun neglecting the basics. Including cleaning up after her afternoon bathe. I rearranged them: first the body towels, then the foot mats, then the hand towels.

I dried myself and slipped on some pyjamas. Shuffling by in the hallway, a line of yellow light peeped from under Michael’s doorway. He was up again, likely engrossed in some fantasy about magic and prophecy and dreams. It’s always hell for Laura: waking him up – bleary-eyed and bemoaning his predicament – at six o’ clock. I smiled. After kissing Michael goodnight, I picked my way back to my bedroom and closed the door behind me.

There she was: a small lump in the bed covers with long brown locks overflowing onto the pillows.

‘Hey babe... How was your day?’

No response. She was tired. I could tell.

‘Good night, then.’ I slid in and felt her silky hair across my face. I gently ran my fingers through and held it to my cheek. There was a familiar scent: the shampoo. With a deep sigh, she tossed and turned until her entire body was out of reach, her back facing me. She reorganised her hair with a flick of the wrist. Evidently, she had used all that shampoo in one afternoon. I rolled into a similar position with my back facing hers. Although, it didn’t matter whether I was facing her. I could still feel her warmth. I could still hear her breathe. I could still smell her hair.

There was a soft but reverberating thud. My eyelids fluttered. Someone was crying. A painful edge creeped into the series of high-pitched whimpers. I woke. It was Michael. I threw off the covers and raced to his room.

Chaos.

The bed had splintered down the middle, causing the whole frame to collapse. The head of the frame should have been perpendicular to the mattress; instead, it lay flat on top of Michael’s arm. I lifted it off onto the floor, but soon regretted it – the broken arm was exposed. It wasn’t just dislocated at the shoulder; the elbow had also snapped into an unnatural angle. My stomach lurched and, involuntarily, I looked away. But I wrenched my gaze back and reached forward. ‘It’s okay buddy, you’ll be alright.’ I tried to comfort him, but it was a selfish gesture.

There’s no time for courtesies, I decided, hurrying back to the main room. I needed Laura’s help to get him into the car. She still hadn’t moved. She was curled up, the bed covers ajar where I had thrown them aside.

‘Honey, wake up! The bed’s collapsed and it fell on Michael. I think his arm’s broken. Help me lift him into the car.’

Not a sound.

‘Laura, can’t you hear him? Get up and help.’ Her eyes remained closed and, against any predilection to motherhood, she managed to maintain the same placid expression. Completely motionless. My hands trembled. Michael’s whimpers intensified.

‘Bloody hell woman, get up!’ I ripped off the covers and the sheets. They flew into the air in a cloud of dust. I wrenched away her pillow. I threw it aside.

I turned my head to glare at her. But she wasn’t there.

Perhaps I should have smashed that glass pane. I always knew there was nothing on the other side. Not a tap. Not a sink. Not even a light.

My face softened. And then it paled. I sighed and sank deep into the mattress, holding the crumpled sheets to my face.

“Laura.”

But they were cold. And I could smell nothing.

Thus I have had thee, as a dream doth flatter –

In sleep a king; but waking, no such matter.

Sonnet 87

4 years ago

I'm aware the ending could be a tad confusing so give a shout if you think so.

Sonnet 87

4 years ago
Your stories are always interesting, but I often feel like I'm missing something. And I do read the ones like this a few times before finally just concluding whatever you're doing is too damn subtle for me. Laura isn't there, and hasn't been for awhile, but am I reading about a man who's been in deep denial or is something else going on? Whatever happened with Michael's bed was bizarre enough to distract a bit either way. Unless it was significant itself in a way that I missed, a less unusual way of breaking an arm would've prevented that. Michael himself doesn't really speak or do anything either...we just have the apparently very unreliable narrator's word that he even exists, same as for Laura.

Sonnet 87

4 years ago

The main theme I wanted to work into the story is that of fantasy. I find it instructive to take note of the fantasies we entertain ourselves with - they can help reveal and articulate our desires. In relation to this story, I wanted to play with that idea. The man fantasises about Laura and Michael - he longs for a family to call his own. Why? I leave that open-ended. It's also unknown as to whether Laura and Michael are real people. So your reading, that this is about a man in deep denial, is pretty spot-on. By the end, I've tried to make it clear that the character is waking from a dream-turned-nightmare. A lot of the meaning here is, imo, read from the quotation from Sonnet 87. I like to think that this is alluded to by the 'non-realist' style; at the end, time and reality is jarringly disrupted by the impossible disappearance of Laura - the bed is cold, there's no trace of her. There're other hints before that, as well. The shampoo bottle was an early sign that things don't exactly make sense. The bed splintering down the middle is also an indication. Could also note that all of the dialogue except the final "Laura" aren't indicated by speech marks. In fact, the only dialogue in the story comes from the narrator. Due to the degeneration of the dream into a nightmare - which also reflects his fears - the man's fantasy rapidly crumbles away. And when he wakes up, he is disappointed by reality - having been bereaved from the people in his dreams. So yeah, unreliable narrator and all that.

All in all, I was trying to use a non-realist style, without going too overboard, in order to play with the prompt, Sonnet 87. It was an exercise in that approach. On the other hand, You should hide your things better was an exercise in establishing strong characterisation and 'voice'.

Sonnet 87

4 years ago
The shampoo and the towels too I thought might indicate some kind of lost time situation, or that he was still convincing himself the others were around long after they'd left. Like towels were an indicator something was wrong with his fantasy until he made a few excuses and glossed over them.

The 'he should've broken the pane of glass' line makes a lot more sense now. Something definitely felt off even before the ending, so the subtle lead up was very well done, but I still think the 'reveal' would've been more satisfying with just a tad bit more explanation. Now that you've posted it created that kind of 'aha!' moment and cast new light on some things, but ideally that feeling would've come about when reading the story by itself.

Sonnet 87

4 years ago

Yeah, I think something to indicate, more clearly, that he's transitioning from fantasy to reality would help with the payoff.