Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Bad Seed - Call of Cthulhu (OOC 4)

10 years ago

Bad Seed
Pulp Cthulhu in a wealthy Connecticut town, 1928. Kidnappers, baby snatching cultists, or alien abductors – what is happening to the local children? Find out – but do try not to get eaten… Investigation of things better left unknown and dire consequences. [d20 Call of Cthulhu RPG (horror)]

Henri Lamarre - played by Aman
Zoe Bodine - played by FeanorOnForge
'Lucky' Lucy McKinley - played by SilverAvian012
Earl Simpson - played by Killa_Robot
Arnold Penshaw - played by Aeon_Spiral
Freada Van Hoff - played by Drakilian

Maps & Other Info

10 years ago

BLIND HP (AKA MWUHAHAHA!)

So, anyway, during the game, we will be using Blind Hit Points.

You will know how many Hit Points you start with (see PC Sheets), but not how many you take – wounds will be described graphically and you’ll have to decide how bad off your character is by the severity of the description.

Further - to help give you a basic idea of your character's health status, we will be using the following descriptors posted after your Hit Points:

Fine  |  0-25%
Bruised  |  25-50%
Wounded  |  50-75%
Almost Dead   |  75-100%
Deceased  |  100%

10 years ago

Posting Rate

As for Posting in this particular game - There will be a Minimum Posting Requirement of 1 per day (Monday - Friday) with weekends optional. If anyone misses a Post before an important Update, I will NPC him in whatever manner seems logical to me. Too much NPCing will lead to PC death (very easy to accommodate in this particular adventure BTW). If for whatever reason you might need to leave the game - permanently, or temporarily - let me know and we'll go from there Smiley

10 years ago

Good to go - thanks  ^v^

10 years ago

OK - fresh thread :)

In-Game update now in the works...  ^v^

10 years ago

Thank you for your hard work BZ! ^o^

10 years ago

No problem :D

(Though you might have to revoke that 'thank you' when you see the next update)...  ;)

10 years ago

GOD DAMMIT BERKA STOP TRYING TO KILL US!

10 years ago

What? But... But... It's my job...  :(

10 years ago

It's ok Berka, I like your attempts at delivering death to all of us.

10 years ago

Because you always run away before anything can kill you.

10 years ago

I killed an officer and I knocked out the other one, i'm doing just fine ^_^

10 years ago

You didn't kill him you only shot him.

Then you ran away.

10 years ago

I shot him and he would have bled to death, had the witch not killed him herself. I clearly could have killed him, it was just against character.

There was no running away, just re-grouping.

10 years ago

Me too..

Though they have been proven to unsuccessful every single time.

10 years ago

OK, getting ready to post now...

10 years ago

And there it is  :)

10 years ago

Freada only lost 5 sanity points, that doesn't go past her breaking point, why did she gain a temporary insanity?

10 years ago

My bad, I was looking at the 9 as the 20% - so I'll edit it if I can - otherwise she's stuck with it....

10 years ago

I'm the only other person online who plays bad seed, no chance of someone posting before you can edit ^_^

(Ooh, silver just came on...)

10 years ago

Managed to ninja edit a revision in there - now its almost hehehe...

10 years ago

Good, now I won't have to deal with that horrible embarasement...

10 years ago

Oh! Godamnit!

I'm losing sanity faster than Sonic the friggen' Hedgehog.

Lol! Freada pissed her pants XD

10 years ago

Nope, that was a mistake, it was edited out.. ^_^

10 years ago

I saw it before it was edited Drak :)

10 years ago

Sorry BZ, I forgot to tell you that the shotgun needed to be added to Lucy's possesions as well.

^.^'

10 years ago

Really? I was sure you already told him.

10 years ago

I added it to attacks - it's now also in posessions.

10 years ago

Got to go for the night - see ya tomorrow  =)

10 years ago

So my attempt at translation here:

“Petition: negative emotion, human plural negative harm. Self travel chronos. Facilitate future human plural destroy Shoggoth.”

Petition - It's requesting something of us

Negative emotion, human plural negative harm - It's saying it's not here to harm us (in a negative tone I guess). Ohhh, it's saying don't fear him, he's not here to harm us.

Self Travel Chronos - It can travel through dimensions I guess.

Facilitate future human plural destroy Shoggoth - It wants to help us destroy Shoggoth.

You guys thinking along the same lines?

10 years ago

Yup.

Though the second one: Negative emotion, human plural negative harm

Could also be translated to him saying he had a negative emotion (Like rage), that he was directing towards us. Or perhaps he was saying that he sensed we were feeling negative emotions at the time.

But given that Earl thinks he means no harm, I think it's safe to say that he's on our side.

10 years ago

Naw, he's meaning negative as in not. So don't feel said emotion.

I thought yours at first too, but this makes far more sense.

10 years ago

Especially given the rest of his dialogue.

So yeah, woohoo, Berka pities us so much that he sent us a giant alien monster to help out! 

(now let's just hope it doesn't turn on us, or it won't be mind controlled by something...)

10 years ago

"Permanent Insanity: The Shakes"

Well fuck... I'm guessing that's going to make aiming more difficult.

10 years ago

No shit!

:O

10 years ago

Think it might be time for a new game thread? We're nearing 500 posts.

10 years ago

No, in this case I figure there's only 50 or less posts left before the curtains draw on the game. (Just one scene left).

10 years ago

The the ENTIRE game is finished?

10 years ago

Yes, the appearance of the Elder Thing opens the final scene of the adventure. It could take a week to play through, but it's largely combat rounds, so posting is drastically reduced in the In-Game Thread (just as it has been the majority of the game).

So yeah, 'Live or Die' time is upon us ...  ^v^ 

10 years ago

Could we have a quick group psychotherapy session beforehand?

Also, I don't see why most of us would go through the portal, right?

10 years ago

Group therapy takes weeks to yield Sanity Point gain unfortunately.

And there's no portal - the Elder Thing basically time-stepped into the basement from another dimension. The loud noise and pop was just his arrival. No open portal or anything like that.

10 years ago

Ok then, how many people could she individually work over before we go on our killing spree? (At the very least, I need to get Arnold)

10 years ago

She won't be able to restore anyone's points - takes long term care.

She can however dispel Temporary Insanities AND temporarily override Permanent Insanities. For example, she could coax Henri up the stairs, in spite of his Permanent Insanity: Fear of Stairs.

10 years ago

Damn. 

Is there any way to delay this venture for a month or two? I mean, I don;t think we IMMEDIATLY have to go through, and I don't see any reason why we can;t all go to our homes and prepare first, in the form of freada sending info to the SS, and the others better-arming themselves, re-filling any lost supplies, maybe getting some more friends to help out.

10 years ago

Well, it all sort of depends on what happens next (after Aman's post)...   ^v^

10 years ago

I'm going to wait over the weekend for Aman to post - due to this being a rather important update. He normally gets back on late Saturday night ... or Sunday ???  (if I recall correctly)  :)

10 years ago

Saturday night

10 years ago

well if that is the case BZ then I'll finish the game, don't worry about NPC'ing him. I didnt know we were that close... Glad He is getting some pain killers though.

10 years ago

No problem, I'll tie him back into the action at a certain point in the conversation with the Elder Thing in the basement...

10 years ago

I'll try to update tonight - got busy this weekend all of a sudden.

10 years ago

There - that should hold us till Monday  ^v^

10 years ago

@Aman Arnold knows all about Shoggoth if you'd answer his holler down the stairs lol

10 years ago

Must of somehow missed your post. Let me edit mine. 

10 years ago

I just noticed this. We've been playing a game that is occurring 5 months ago. Which means we fail. 

10 years ago

Huh?

10 years ago

The game is a flashback, to five month earlier, but the baby snatchers still exist. 

10 years ago

What makes you say that?

10 years ago

BZ states it in the beggining of the adventure, that the events we are experiencing are flashbacks. 

10 years ago

Huh, I just read through that.

I think we're the kidnappers.

we're trying to kill the shogoth lords, right? That baby was a shogoth lord, that acid depression was the remains of the baby. The kidnapping ing is us, the female who's footsteps were left behind was Lucy.

We're looking back to when this all started.

10 years ago

Impossible, simply for meta game reasons. BZ said most of us will die, and if Lucy dies, the whole thing is impossible. 

10 years ago

Then maybe it's a new member that joined the beacon society, that survived our deaths. It would only require one of us to survive and continue fighting for the cause.

10 years ago

Dunno. But it also doesn't seem likely since it's a 'common' occurrence with the Baby Snatching. You'd think Shoggoth lords wouldn't be common (especially in baby form). 

I'm thinking we fail, and the cult countinues to make acid babies. After all, that can make the light footsteps, and acid babies make acid. 

10 years ago

But what makes you think it wouldn't be common? We have no idea how long this cult has been at work, they could have made dozens and dozens of shogoths, and spread them throughout human families, and we've just been tracking them down. (I already suspect that nearly all of the orphans in that orphanage are shogoth lords, that makes at least 40 that are in baby form) Those 3-4 babies that have been snatched are the "common" occurence.

And babies don't make footsteps that can be mistaken for a fully grown woman's footsteps.

Besides, the cult doesn't NEED to kidnap babies to turn them into shogoth lords, they do it when the babies are born, they're a maternity hospital. We would need to kidnap the babies though, if we were trying to kill them all.

10 years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoggoth

Shoggoth with independent minds are very rare. 

Then fully grown Acid Babies. The maternity ward was raided by us, remember. No one will consider that place Safe. 

10 years ago

Huh, that artist's rendition resembles the monster Berka described...

10 years ago

Most likely because it's the one used in Call of Cthulu. (I think it is) 

10 years ago

Yeah, I just had no idea that the thing that attacked me and zoe was a shoggoth lord, thought it was just some random monster.

10 years ago

Actually, thinking about it, it can't be. (unless The Shogoth Lord became a bird). 

10 years ago

Anyways, I repeat, all of the orphans at the orphanage are likely already shogoths... that;s more than enough shogoths already out there to account for the 4 that were snatched in the news, and those are only the ones that we know of, not to mention that they're orphans, some of them will be adopted.

The maternity was attacked by a bunch of psychos (outsider perspective), security will just be increased and people will continue going there, it won't change anything. And even if it's shut down, they've already done the damage.

10 years ago

Shoggoth Lords can't be killed without the tech of a Shoggoth lord. So they couldn't have been the babies. 

It's a dying hospital (two doctors, two nurses) and (if we kill Dr. PHillip only one). I doubt anyone will go there anymore. They can't afford upping security. 

10 years ago

Then what are the babies?

(Anyways, I still think we're hunting the babies, maybe they're not shogoth lords, but still)

10 years ago

Monsters. Haven't read all of the Mythos, so I can't say for sure, but certantly not Shoggoth lords. 

10 years ago

Ask Sentinel?

10 years ago

I'd be surprised of he knew. I'm gonna hunt down Call of Cthulu RPG boards and find it out. (and get their stats. If they exist online) 

10 years ago

Ooh, maybe pod peole. 

10 years ago

State your findings.

10 years ago

Haven't found anything yet. Just makes sense. 

10 years ago

What are pod people?

10 years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pod_People_(Invasion_of_the_Body_Snatchers)

10 years ago

Hmm, perhaps.

10 years ago

Damn BZ, must have been a bitch to write all of this out.

“Self Sose; scientist; environmentalist,” the thing pipes

I am a scientist.

, “Self facilitate preserve human plural;

I want to help you survive

contrary history Self Race – destroy past-tense through Shoggoth plural.

Unlike the rest of my race, I want to destroy the shoggoth (as for the past tense, I think he's talking either about time travel, or history.)

Self negative facilitate human extinct future

I will not kill you

– Self opinion: flora, fauna, planet, preserve future facilitate positive emotion generation plural.

I will help save you and the planet, in order to make you like me

Petition: Sose help human plural.”

May I help you?

“Doctor Phillips: Shoggoth. Human plural pursue.

Doctor Phillips is a shogoth, you must pursue him.

Human plural negative destroy single – Shoggoth plural, positive power – Exception: through Self technology, small probability. Receive…”

This one's fucked up.

Something about us not having destroyed any shogoth, something about them being powerful. The only way to kill them is to use his technology, and even then, only a small chance.

“Affix x-ray. Mi-go x-ray harmonic amplify future radiation.

No idea.

Attune genetic harmonic plural Shoggoth. Lure Shoggoth enter field generate through Mi-go x-ray harmonic, destroy Shoggoth. Receive addition – probability facilitate…”

He's drawing them towards us. Beautiful. Somehow this will make things easier.

“During sight Shoggoth format crystal sphere, Shoggoth form confined. Probability: confine Shoggoth form Doctor Phillips, facilitate additional simple control.”

When you see the shoggoth, trap them in this sphere. Do this with doctor phillips, because he will kill your ass.

“Shoggoth sanctum beyond wall.”

Obvious.

10 years ago

I'm thinking he' s actually saying we all get destroyed by the Shoggoth in the future.

, “Self facilitate preserve human plural;

He wants to preserve humanity.

Unlike his own race, that was destroyed by Shoogoths

Self negative facilitate human extinct future

He won't allow human extinction in the future.

– Self opinion: flora, fauna, planet, preserve future facilitate positive emotion generation plural.

Harder to tell, but he wants to save everything, not just humanity, I think. Given he's an environmentalist he likes plants and animals and the planet itself.

Petition: Sose help human plural.”

I'm guessing his name is Sose, and he is offering to help.

Human plural negative destroy single – Shoggoth plural, positive power – Exception: through Self technology, small probability. Receive…”

We can't even kill one, and there are many, so they have the advantage. Unless we use his technology. So we need to take it.

Rest is explaining how/when to use the devices.

10 years ago

Unlike his own race, that was destroyed by Shogoths

---
Makes more sense

10 years ago

You guys think I should use up the anti-anxiety on us all? It seems to me that if I don't we'll lose enough sanity through fear that we'll be essentially crippled at the end.

10 years ago

If heroin makes us less effected by scary things I say we all take a hit before embarking haha.

10 years ago

It makes us completely immune actually (Or at least, the ones Freada has. The downside is that it damages dexterity and wisdom)

10 years ago

Cant hurt. 

---

Actually, scratch that. Henri would be useless of we did do that. 

10 years ago

@ Killa - Earl just made a roll - and thinks the 'Affix X-Ray' means to attach the Mi-go device to the hospital's X-ray machine to amplify the rays somehow...

10 years ago

BZ I thought I had 25 points of Sanity not 23?

10 years ago

@ Aeon - Not sure, but what's there is correct from the point I backed off the -3 penalty.

Also - Arnold suddenly realizes that this Elder Thing came to the Sanitarium (asylum) and cured his previous insanity - not Freada.

It has been using him this entire time for its own ends (though those ends just happen to benefit Arnold and all mankind)...

10 years ago

AHH!

10 years ago

Got to go offline for a while - - -

10 years ago

Need to let Silver reply to update before moving into it too deep  :)

10 years ago

You can go ahead and roll for the healing.

10 years ago

Thanks for the reminder - I'll go ahead and edit into all the PC sheets too  :)

10 years ago

Oops - No Hit Points back - that requires longer care - but I'll gladly apply the anti-anxiety effects once I know for sure who all wants the drug.

10 years ago

Awh. :( 

10 years ago

Really? Not even for any bandaging or ointments or burn cream that she could get from the medical supplies?

Also, Freada will be administering the anti anxiety to Arnold whether he likes it or not. (Or has he already taken some?)

10 years ago

The healing roll does have some decent effects, but for Hit Points it just takes a day of care.

Arnold is fine-ish  ;)

10 years ago

Kinda odd that so many magic spells aren't used. I mean, I can't use Create Holy Water (most likely). 

10 years ago

I'm really curious as to when we should go.

I mean, if all of our healing and such takes longer than a day, it stands to reason there should be a days time where we actually get the chance to use them.

And that'd probably be right now.

10 years ago

Well, the Elder Being says if we leave we wont have the chance again. 

10 years ago

When did it say that?

10 years ago

Meanwhile, the Elder Thing tries to answer Freada’s question – “This knowledge, it is through standing in place with time precisely. Three quarters eight human plural, you inclusive location now; temporal now; act now. You inclusive preserve human plural race. Self minor facilitator. Self negative desire human plural future extinction. This knowledge is right to Self that revenge it would be, through inferior plural to diverge machinations the of Outer Gods.”

10 years ago

Ah.

Well that makes all the medical supplies useless lol.

10 years ago

Yep. 

Henri is the only one who can heal, and he can only do it twice. :(

10 years ago

Don't worry - your full hit points WILL NOT make the slightest difference if you let the Shoggoth get a slimy pseudopod on you hehehe....

10 years ago

Fucking wonderful. 

10 years ago

I'll update again tonight sometime - hopefully Silver will have a chance to post by then  :)

10 years ago

What about the elixir?

10 years ago

What about it?

Henri still has it but doesn't know what it's for...

10 years ago

I asked the Elder Being about it. :p (it's slightly above Drak's most recent post)

10 years ago

Drink it already!

10 years ago

I'll have to pass on that. XD

10 years ago

Let me check - I must have missed it...

10 years ago

Posted at the bottom.

10 years ago

Well, we know how to kill Stephens now. ^_^ Throw that bottle at him. 

10 years ago

Cheeky human.

But don't count on it haha!

10 years ago

Since I'm guessing its his 'Transform into super evil' drink

10 years ago

All will be revealed to those that survive  ;)

10 years ago

@ All - Silver PM'd me that she has lost her computer and will be missing the rest of the adventure - as this is the end and all, I'm happy to NPC Lucy through the rest - but I will be honest - she now wears the dreaded Red Shirt of the group - as nothing conveys the true dread of some horrifying monster than to have it dramatically kill someone important the moment it takes the stage...

10 years ago

Ouch. Reminds me of Cov's character from NSDS

10 years ago

It's no guarantee I will - just pointing out that it's a real temptation as a dramatic tool is all  :)

10 years ago

Well, that sucks for him. (Incorrect pronoun use...)

10 years ago

Sure she is Drak, sure she is.

Lucy is totally a guy....

10 years ago

No, silver is...

"Silver PM'd me that she has lost"

10 years ago

Sure Drak, sure she is.

10 years ago

@ Drak - by 'basement' in your post, do you mean the lair?

10 years ago

Oh hey, look at that, we're already in the basement.

She'll just check out the basement lab.

10 years ago

The one we exploded?

10 years ago

Yeah, sure, what's left of it anyways.

10 years ago

OK, I'll post the update this morning or afternoon -

Got Earl going to hook up the device to the X-ray and everyone else searching around the lab a bit.

10 years ago

Update posted  =)

10 years ago

Berka? Berka you ignored me...

10 years ago

About?

10 years ago

Freada searching the lab.

10 years ago

Not sure I follow...

" Back down in the basement meanwhile, the group looks through the remains of the lab explosion and finds ... "

Freada is a party to the update, explaining what was found in the laboratory (not the lair BTW) - sorry if it wasn't clear or was confusing or something.

10 years ago

Oooh.

Well, what did she find, because the only thing you mentionned was the ring, and i'm sure that the lab had at least, you know, one other thing in it other than the nurse's corpse and her ring.

10 years ago

It was all blown to hell by two dynamites. All left from that is the nurse's ring, the soul sucking thing, and a bauble.

10 years ago

So th glass beakers were blown up, so the fish corpses were fried, so the equipment would be damaged, it should still be there.

10 years ago

Glass beakers blown up, (so no glass beakers, just droplets flown about everywhere), fish corpses were blown to bits, no equipment (just beakers and chemicals). 

10 years ago

The liquids would still be on the ground, and the fish wouldn't be blown to bits unless the dynamite was inside the fish, or extremely (Up to 10-20 feet) close to it, after that they should have just been horribly burn on the side that was facing the dynamite, with many broken bones, etc, but not blown to bits.

10 years ago

Like I said, the liquid would have been made into little droplets. Throw a cup of water, you'll note that you won't have a puddle (especially considering that burning gas would have been there, and as such, may have evaporated the liquids). Looking at the map, the explosion was at least that close. 

10 years ago

“Here catch!” Earl’s shouts back – throwing a couple of lit sticks of dynamite behind Nurse Vance’s cover. Henri and Earl both duck – as a tremendous blast blows the laboratory all to hell and shatters all of the strange fish tanks against the far wall.

Ha! Shattered the fish tank, no mention about the fish. Just wait for Berka, I am.

10 years ago

.... Yeah, it also doesn't mention the beakers, so i suppose those didn't smash either? :P Just because BZ doesn't mention that the fish in the fish tanks were blown to bits, doesn't mean they weren't. XD

10 years ago

Neither does it mean they were.

(The water could have absorbed enough force from the explosion to keep the fish intact, i'm sticking with waiting.)

10 years ago

Sure, but it isn't a "Ha!" Moment. :P 

10 years ago

Uhm - yeah, the mutant fish are still splattered around and Freada (and anyone new to the scene) would see them - I overlooked posting that in my update - so if anyone want to react to it they are free  :)

10 years ago

Added to Freada's Post to include it...

10 years ago

Given Earl is alone and calibrating stuff I won't be making an in-game post. Just have him complete whatever he's trying to accomplish now haha.

10 years ago

OK  :)

10 years ago

What's gauss? I'm searching it up, and all I find is that its a unit of measurement. 

10 years ago

I'm pretty sure that he meant to say Gauze

10 years ago

Yeah, medical gauze not electromagnetic energy like I must have accidently wrote haha!

10 years ago

Alright, makes more sense now. :P

10 years ago

Who wants to be injected with dead fish tumor parasite goo? :D

10 years ago

Freada has a sample - - -

10 years ago

So, what's the character's plan?

10 years ago

Ha! Plans, what foolery is this? No, we must charge! Syringes and shotguns waving hafazardly, high on heroin, tis' a necessity!

10 years ago

Hmm, Henri, having the highest Gizmo Use, should probably hold the crystal.

10 years ago

Is a Shoggoth considered an outsider? 

10 years ago

Maybe... Or Maybe not...

Henri really wouldn't know...

10 years ago

Well, would Arnold know? 

10 years ago

Good chance...

10 years ago

Adding that to my post then. I have 9 chances (at most) if it is. 

10 years ago

@ Aeon - All Arnold can tell about the blue stone frog is that it (like the ring) is some form of magical fetish - though not specifically hyperborean like the ring. The frog thing here may just be coincidental - as the two-headed frog is the right symbology, not a single-headed frog, as is the stone...

10 years ago

Also - Arnold knows that a Shoggoth can be summoned and therefore dismissed - but a Shoggoth Lord on the other hand is an independant abboration and therefor not bound here by anything that could be undone to send it back to where it came from...

10 years ago

VOTE - even though theres probably only 100 posts left in the game, I'm thinking of starting a new In-Game thread due to the larger lag the current one takes to load...

Thoughts?

10 years ago

Why not?

10 years ago

yes

10 years ago
Absolutely. I will poat my updated placeholder in the new one.

10 years ago

OK, I'll post the new In-Game Thread with the next Update - (as soon as you guys are ready to enter the lair - and do let me know here or in-character)...

10 years ago

Is anyone going to answer on whether they want the anti-anxiety drug or not?

10 years ago

Ok sorry guys Im back, I took a little one day trip by myself and only had my Kindle but Im home now and ready to go I will be updating Aman's cliffhangar convo with me and a few other things.

10 years ago

Arnold, (the only one who needs it) said no.

10 years ago

I didnt say no?

10 years ago

This is an anti-anxiety drug. It will stop us from over-worrying and going insane from what we see out there, but it's very addictive, and will make you feel drowsy. I'm offering it to you all because I have the feeling we'll need it. I have four doses here, and I believe Arnold has a few with him as well. And arnold, I believe I will be forced to apply this on you, if what the others say is true, you've come very close to complete insanity..."

Bad Seed - Call of Cthulhu

3 days ago

" i will be ....fine Dear/" Arnold leaves her at that moment and walks over to the Elder.

10 years ago

She offered it to EVERYONE, but only Arnold answered, and it would be prudent of you all to take a dose yourselves.

10 years ago

Would be bad if I answered, since I'd lose wis and dex, (and being the cleric, I need wis), since Henri doesn't know the weaknesses, so I'm playing that he didn't hear her, since he was chatting with either Earl, the alien shit, Zoe, or Arnold. 

10 years ago

You could always just say no. (And I doubt he'd miss it twice)

10 years ago

IC i don't know the weaknesses. 

10 years ago

She told you all that it would make you feel drowsy, cloudy.

10 years ago

Missed that. Sorry. I'll repluy to it

10 years ago

Also, i'm pretty sure that your wisdom is irrelevant to this (Have you seen it? Your wisdom is your lowest stat. I think it's your intelligence that affects this.)

EDIT: Nevermind, it COSTS you wisdom to cast your healing. Damn.

10 years ago

Wisdom allows me to cast the spell.

10 years ago

I'm not taking it because Im saving my stats for end game content.

10 years ago

This IS end game content. There's a decent chance that you'll go insane, which is why I want to give it to you (Either that or the uber-lobotomy)

I don't want Arnold going insane and summoning creatures and using death symbols on us, or turning into bears. That's all pretty bad stuff.

If this wasn't the end, I wouldn't risk using the drug simply because of it's addictive effects.

But it is, so we can go all out.

10 years ago

Well maybe I wanna be a bear?

10 years ago

PMed BZ, but I will be gone from tonight till sat night

10 years ago

How come?

10 years ago

RELIGION!!!

10 years ago

Well, have a... time I guess. 

(Shabbat does not seem like the most fun of holidays)

10 years ago

1 word. 

FOOD

10 years ago

Uber Shabbat?

10 years ago

Purty much

10 years ago

cool, well have a good uneventful time :) lol jk

10 years ago

Ha, it'll be far more eventful then you think, but I'll explain it at a later time

10 years ago

Oh I know it will be! lol I was kidding man. 

10 years ago

I'm not even playing this. But I'm lonely :P

10 years ago

OK then... Not sure if that is good or bad - but feel free to lurk to your heart's content if you will   ;)

10 years ago

I'm pretty sick today - so I'll be waiting till tomorrow sometime to update the opening scene of the next In-Game Thread.

It will feature everyone finally moving into the lair to see what is there.

Following that, there will be a bit of time to explore in-character before the shit really hits the fan, which should get us to the weekend - and from there the big finale  :)

10 years ago

Hope you feel better soon man.

10 years ago

feel better bud!

10 years ago

OK - setting up the Finale Game Thread - Please hold off posting until I signal - thanks  :)

10 years ago

10 years ago

Go ahead and post away now  :)

10 years ago

WTF happened to my post???

10 years ago

Tsk tsk tsk, too many insanity cookies are bad for you...

10 years ago

no seriously I posted about AArnold inspecting the metal plate... now its gone?

10 years ago

You posted it on the map, not on the end post.

10 years ago

mother Fuc....

10 years ago

So, I guess Earl and Arnold are going to press the switch at the same time then?

10 years ago

Synchronized pressing. 

It's a sign.

(Or maybe Arnold is pressing an imaginary switch...

Though Aeon DID post it first)

10 years ago

I did post long before anyone posted on the thread

10 years ago

Called it.

10 years ago

Called what?

10 years ago

Poor Earl...

10 years ago

"Lucy and Earl suddenly find themselves in the awkward position of Earl' left hand grabbing Lucy's breast and squeezing it out of nowhere!

"What the hell are you doing?!?" Lucy yells and shoves Earl back away from her."

I don't even.....

Way to go Earl!

10 years ago

Yeah - it's a new Temp Insanity haha!

10 years ago

"Temporary Insanity: Left hand uncontrollably gropes female body parts"

I'm okay with this.

10 years ago

^v^

10 years ago

Why'd he suddenly get it though? Realizing the thing with the fish tank?

10 years ago

Yeah, realizing that it's 571 human baby souls floating around in the tank blasted his sanity a bit (he lost the max unfortunately)  ;)

10 years ago

I just died laughing from this XD

10 years ago

Poor Earl, the strongest in the group where strength matters not haha.

10 years ago

Hey, wasn't Freada at 65 sanity?

What happened?

10 years ago

She was told a scary story involving harvesting the souls of children and shoggoths taking over the world...

10 years ago

Henri and the others didn't lose any sanity. (In fact, only Earl, Freada and Lucy from what I can tell)

10 years ago

Earl lost it from realizing the "fish" were souls of children.

Also Berka, what would happen if we drank some of Earl's moonshine?

10 years ago

Enough would work like the Anti-Anxiety drug...

10 years ago

With what kind of effects?

10 years ago

Negative Wisdom and Dexterity, but soaks 1 point of Sanity Loss per sanity shaking event...

10 years ago

It also makes a nice molotov cocktail.

10 years ago

That may be a better use then...

10 years ago

Those that made their sanity checks only lost 1 point each  =)

10 years ago

i will catch up soon im watching Football

10 years ago

No problem - we got all weekend  ;)

10 years ago

FUCK

10 years ago

Yep - you KILLED HIM.

Only Henri can save him now ...

10 years ago

HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW EARL IS ALERGIC TO DRUGS?!

10 years ago

Well, given the timeframe of the adventure - she wouldn't.

Mechanically speaking though - Earl lost the max Wisdom (8) which dropped his Wisdom from 8 to zero - thus Catatonia.

Henri can cast his Healing Touch Spell on Earl to bring his Wisdom back up to a whopping '1' - conscious but highly unstable.

Earl should have went with the moonshine.

10 years ago

http://www.prevention.com/sites/default/files/images/news/featured_images/TS-109012419-curse-symbols-628x363.jpg

10 years ago

There are times when High rolling dice are extremely bad things, I suppose....

10 years ago

Fuck!
Is there any way to raise his wisdom somehow? Maybe get rid of the drug's effects on him? 

Without Henri wasting his Cleric spells.

10 years ago

Hmm - Yeah, I'd allow Freada to mix Drugs and hit him with some Waking Drug (as the Catatonia is technically not caused by Ability Damage, but by a drug that mimics Ability Damage) - care to give it a go?

10 years ago

Yes.

(I hope she doesn't fail her chemistry/Heal roll....)

10 years ago

Go ahead and post it...

10 years ago

I got to go offline - I'll probably have Henri cast Healing Touch on Earl though when I can post again tomorrow  :)

10 years ago

Just waiting a few minutes to clear up the Earl situation...

10 years ago

HUZZAH Freada fixed Earl - now I got to go - see ya  ^v^

10 years ago

G'night Berka

10 years ago

If moonshine held the chance to not render Earl catatonic it would have been great to know -__-

I asked what the effects were and all you said was negative to both, which I assumed meant it was the same.

All things considered it seems like this played out the best though. No loss to wisdom or dexterity, and only a minor loss to int.

Even still, this campaign is really not for Earl. He's such a glass cannon, and his strengths are all largely useless (dex and str).

10 years ago

Wait, fuck.

Does negating the effects mean he's no longer immune to fear and this whole incident accomplished nothing?

10 years ago

Not only was it an unfortunate waste, but it made things worse. All Earl got out of it was a ding to his IQ and extra-jittery shakes...

Maybe some of that moonshine will calm his nerves... ?

10 years ago

Also randomly shoot someone in the team and claim it was the shoggoth lord controlling you.

10 years ago

@ Forge - not sure where Zoe got the idea that Dr. Phillips is trapped in the lift/elevator.

The elder thing mentioned that the Shoggoth Lord was not in its lair - but that it would come if you broke into it...

10 years ago

I saw him on the 3rd floor didnt I?

10 years ago

No.

If Arnold gives it some thought (coupled with the information the book provided), he would guess that what he saw in the third floor music room was an apparition of the late Doctor Phillips (ie. a ghost).

If Zoe ever shared her vision with him (the one she had when in the very same third floor music room), then it would all make sense - at least to Arnold and his Occult mind that is...

10 years ago

Arnold actually saw Nurse Vance heading into the woods when everyone first arrived at the Hospital though...

But fear not - with Freada blasting the Shoggoth's prized possession (the spirit prison) - he'll be arriving shortly...

10 years ago

Speaking of which, I'm starting to question if fighting him in his lair is the best place to do it lol.

10 years ago

It's a horrible idea, and the smart path would be to call the state police and have them kill everything for us. But this i the story, so shudap and follow it.

10 years ago

The smart idea would be to call the police and explain how the souls of children are being stolen, and that their bodies are being implanted with sinister beings who plan to destroy the world once they mature, and that everyone in this hospital, including the two cops who are dead/drugged, were a part of it?

Yeah, they'd totally believe that and rush to help us.

10 years ago

Of course not, you lie to them, and once the police arrive and they get attacked by magical beings, they fight anyways.

10 years ago

You know... Maybe Earl could start thinking about that in-character...

So, to clarify - no one said anything about fighting the Shoggoth Lord in his lair. The (albeit hard to follow) plan of the Elder Thing was/is to lure the Shoggoth into the X-Ray lab and zap him there.

The whole Lair thing is just the fastest way to draw the Shoggoth out - which I'll post about (now that Freada shattered the Soul-Prison) Tomorrow night after Aman has a chance to interact in the lab a bit first...

10 years ago

I'm waiting for you to do an update for the effect of the moonshine on him before that.

10 years ago

I'll try to remember to add it to the next flavor text haha!

But yeah, it will stop his shakes as long as he keeps a nice buzz going (minus 1d3+2 Wisdom, -2 Dexterity)  - self medicating is so much easier on the bod than Freada's fancy chemicals LOL!   ^v^

10 years ago

Curses! If only I had realized he had it sooner.

Getting drunk before facing the final boss is the best plan possible.

10 years ago

I Know! Right?  ^v^

10 years ago

“It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.”

- H.P. Lovecraft, At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror    

10 years ago

Woot....

Probably hasn't occurred to these guys that the guy who asked us to summon the thing and kill it probably doesn't care about our individual lives. Being an environmentalist I'm sure he'd think 6 humans is a good deal to save the rest of the world...

Poor poor Earl. At least he'll die the way he lived. Drunk and screaming about aliens.

10 years ago

Man, I really really feel bad about what is going to happen next...  ;)

10 years ago

I gave up on our chances for survival when earl got the shakes. I'm good.

10 years ago

lol oh shit :)

10 years ago

OK - Just to clarify -

Freada is blasting the soul prison - and Zoe and Arnold are going out to throw a grenade in the elevator shaft. Right?

Please clarify and then stop further posting. We are are setting up stuff that needs resolved before anything more can happen.

Like I said though, I'm going to update tonight after Aman gets a chance to post.

10 years ago

Yes on the Grenade. and yes to the boomstick soul prison.

10 years ago

Well someone is going to have to hold the doors also would need to know how low the lift is, so the grenade will not be thrown right away. Zoe will probably wait until the lift doors open themselves after giving power back and calling it down with the DR inside and throw the grenade inside...

Unless the lift is very low thus insuring the grenade damages the occupant rather than just damaging the lift shaft.

Basically talking about throwing it, but NOT throwing it this turn.

10 years ago

There's no one in the lift...

10 years ago

from my understanding it is on it's way to the basement.... why would it be empty

10 years ago

Because it was called down by the nurse?

10 years ago

the dead nurse who died ages ago????

10 years ago

regardless it ensures that he cant use that to getr down here, he'll have to teleport or take the stairs which we can Funnnel him into and deal good damage

10 years ago

....Sure....

It's not like we could all just stand in front of the elevator and shoot him as soon as it opens if he was coming down in it...

10 years ago

stairs = more room+he cant shut the doors.....

10 years ago

More room = he can dodge....

We can easily stop the door from shutting....

Not that this matters, since he's not taking the elevator. Blowing it up also screws over Henri, who can't climb stairs (not that we know that yet).

10 years ago

Yes?

The elevator hasn't even been mentioned since she was alive.

10 years ago

True - The babies on the second floor called it originally; Earl disabled the power to it; The nurse tried to call it to come down into the basement; Earl restored power to it.

The elevator is currently stopped on the first floor.

10 years ago

On a slightly related note, Feanor really loves his grenade lol.

10 years ago

...... Help? Can someone give a brief explanation of what occured, and what we are planning to do?

10 years ago

You didn't miss much (except a boatload of OOC) - everything you need to know is in the new Finale Thread  ^v^

10 years ago

Alright, cool. ^_^

10 years ago

All right - I'm writing up the update now...

10 years ago

Enter the Shoggoth Lord and Sanity Checks all around...

10 years ago

FUCK

10 years ago
how was Rosh Hashanah?

10 years ago

Any good pickles?   ;)

10 years ago

Nice and cool pickles. 

10 years ago

Wonderful. We recently moved into a new community, which fits our family better, had a couple of guests, and we ate ribs. ^_^

10 years ago
Awesome man. Happy to hear your festivities were well enjoyed by all.

10 years ago

Oh man! Earl has just surpassed Arnold in CRAZY!!!

10 years ago

Ok, so we lost earl and Arnold...

10 years ago

This is going to be a challenge to write up...

10 years ago

Really? 

I don't think it's all that hard to write:

YOU're dead and YOU're dead and YOU're also dead!

EVERYONE IS DEAD!

10 years ago

I thought drinking the moonshine effectively made Earl immune to crazy?

10 years ago

Makes you immune to any effects from fear (Including sanity loss from fear, i'd imagine. Or at least, that's how freada's stuff works)

As for everything else, it reduces your loss of sanity by 1 in all sanity loss events.

10 years ago

By 1?

Wow, that's far less worthwhile than I thought.

Oh well, it was rather obvious Earl was never gonna survive anyway.

10 years ago

Here's the Sanity Loss List BTW -

Henri : -13 + Perm: stress induced tunnel-vision

Zoe : -6 + Perm: Laughing hysteria

Lucy : -20 + Perm: Hair turns white

Earl : -20 + Perm: Necrophilia

Arnold : -2

Freada : -17 + Perm: Must End Every Sentence with “because Shan says so…”

10 years ago

Even with drugs Earl still manages to tie for most sanity lost.

Sigh.

10 years ago

Oops - that should be -19...

10 years ago

And minus 16 for me, right, right?

10 years ago

Nope. twas -18 originally  ;)

10 years ago

Hey, why'd I lose so many Will-save points?

Wait a second, is the will save based on wisdom?
If so, then FUCK

10 years ago

Necrophilia? Ouch. (Good thing there's a morgue nearby)

And wow, Arnold is the only one who passed his sanity check.

10 years ago

There's a nearby morgue too.

EARL'S GONNA HAVE FUN TONIGHT!

10 years ago

Actually, Zoe also passed her Sanity Check....

10 years ago

Hey, Zoe's breaking point is 9, why did she get a permanent insanity? (Technically she hasn't even qualified for a temporary one...)

10 years ago

She lost more than her %20 (13) in one evening (totaled up).

10 years ago

In one EVENING?

Ooooooooooh...

10 years ago

Pretty sure he'd have fun with the nurse's dead body.

10 years ago

Yeah - part of the update hehe...

The thought - not the action BTW ...

10 years ago

-__-

10 years ago
Oh wow i only lost 2? AMERICA FUCK YA!

10 years ago

About 10 minutes from posting - this one was a challenge - I hope at least that you find it entertaining (before folks start dying horrably...)

;)

10 years ago

Horribly*

10 years ago

:)

10 years ago

Note that We are in Combat Rounds again so only post 1 or two actions per post - thanks  :)

10 years ago

Sanity Points 44 6; Max 95; Break Point 4;

Alright so, with this in mind, it's time to discuss something about Earl.

Primarily, he's fucked. Secondly, not only is he fucked, but unless we mitigate the damage, everyone else is fucked to.

By this I mean the obvious - he has the lowest resistance to resisting commands, and he is closest to the breaking point. He also happens to be the strongest member physically, and he's currently holding a shotgun. Either the Shoggoth commanding him to hurt others, or him turning insane and hurting others, is a very real possibility at this point.

So, we have three options:

1) I can have him run away. While this can fail (he gets stopped by something or caught before he's gone), it's the fastest way of getting rid of him, short of just straight up killing him. For the sake of RPing, this is one of the best choices. With his mental state, running him screaming in terror is very believable.

2) Kill him off. Not suicide, but have him basically run at the Shoggoth with the intention that he'll be killed. This could work, and it's somewhat believable (curse you aliens!!!!!!), but it also stands the very real chance of failing and backfiring. Like him being taken over before he can do significant damage or piss it off enough to kill him.

3) Kill him, literally. I can make him stick the shotgun in his mouth, and pull the trigger. While we will be down one member, it:
A) Means he can't be used against us
B) Can still be believable RP wise, so it's viable

I've already come to terms with Earl not surviving, so at this point it's just a matter of how we want to deal with him. What do you guys think?

------------This was made before Berka posted the game post btw----------

10 years ago

Honestly, we are all going to die horribly anyways. :P 

10 years ago

True, but I predict Earl will be far more of a liability than an asset.

10 years ago

Actually, you have until you reach 0

Anyways, I say you run for it. Well, it depends on the game situation, but running seems like the best option.

10 years ago

10 years ago

?

10 years ago

I think you go perma insane at -10

10 years ago

Reasonably speaking, if anything bad happens Earl will probably turn insane. He only has between 2 and 6 points left (depending on how you view it).

10 years ago

Though, since Freada is worthless in combat, if she spends her time keeping Earl sane, he can survive.

10 years ago

Doesn't work like that, I think.

Also, she's not worthless in combat.

Seriously, you have horrible notions of what makes someone worth or worthless in a fight. that shotgun could easily be the difference between life and death (maybe) and those syringes aren't exactly completely useless either.

Besides, if it comes to need, she can just stab Earl with the Uber-lobotomy and then earl can stay in combat, and make a ranged attack every once in a while. Everyone wins.

10 years ago

Earl>Freada (She's the most worthless in combat.) Against a shogoth, its rather worthless (the syringes).

10 years ago

Earl already has next to no willpower, do you really think it's a good idea to effectively turn him into a mindless puppet in front of the creature that takes over the minds of others?

10 years ago

Yes, in fact.  It's way better than having a completely insane earl out there shooting everyone and making melee attacks with the damn battle axe he carries. In lobotomy mode, he has one ranged attack and that's it. Then we can all kill him in a turn at the most.

10 years ago

If I'm not mistaken all she can do is remove temporary insanities. And try to talk Earl out of doing things.

And since they final battle is basically just luring the Shoggoth to the X-Ray room, Earl's strengths won't even be useful.

10 years ago

She can temporarily remove permanent ones as well.

10 years ago

@ Drakilian - be sure to add Freada's new line at the end of every sentence she speaks - thanks  ^v^

10 years ago

----

10 years ago

Hey Berka, what does the "electrical" on that map of the basement stand for?

10 years ago

Fuse box.

Earl used it to disable the elevator before.

10 years ago

Yep.

10 years ago

Hmm... Right now I wouldn't worry about Earl - everyone needs to NOT BE the closest one to the Shoggoth Lord when I do the next update...

Also, Earl has the best chance to know that when you eventually lure the Shoggoth upstairs to the X-ray lab - someone is going to have to throw the switch!

10 years ago

Judging by the map, Lucy will clearly be the one closest.

Almost as though you planned it that way....

TOO LATE BERKA, I SAW THE THING WITH THE CRYSTAL!

10 years ago

*whistles innocently...

10 years ago

Aman...

Tsk Tsk. I even replied to your post and everything.

10 years ago

^_^ I got lucky. I got to view what you said, and get to run away! TAKE THAT EVIL GM

10 years ago

Yeah - here's what it was:

Henri gets a sudden sinking feeling - the monster is already in monster form! The crystal would have been useful holding it in its human form - but it just poured into the lair!

10 years ago

So yeah, we're quadruple fucked then.

10 years ago

Purty much

10 years ago

Yeah, the crystal is only viable with a little better planning - for example - someone goes into the lair (which alerts the Shoggoth Lord) then comes out and everyone hides.

The Shoggoth pours into the lair and then changes into doctor phillips to come out of the lair to look around.

Unfortunately, it has no reason to change now as everyone was in the lair at its arrival.

10 years ago

FUCK

10 years ago

Hey, Berka, could you update Freada's character sheet so that I know what soul bind does?

10 years ago

Sorry - but learning a spell in this setting takes time (up to weeks) - plus Freada will need to learn Latin or have a translator - and there is a sanity loss to pay when reading Mythos Tombs...

10 years ago

Wha? But you said that we had the option of learning the...

:(

10 years ago

Yes, that is true - you do have spells in the book that you have the option of learning...

Just not with a cursory glance is all - and besides, those particular spells are related to the creation and use of the soul prison fish tank thing anyway...

10 years ago

Well, what would the soonest time for spell learning have been? (Because I did specifically say that Freada looked through the book and read the soul-spell thing, since Lucy told us we could do that. You could have, you know, told me that it wasn't a valid option.)

10 years ago

'plus Freada will need to learn Latin or have a translator'

10 years ago

Yes. And then Lucy said "If any one wants to, there's "so and so" info here for you"

So I replied with "Freada reads up about "so and so" "

It would have been nice of him to tell me that the action I posted wasn't a valid one. You know.

10 years ago

Why would you think that a book full of latin would be accessible for your character? I mean, you couldn't read it originally, why would you be able to read it now?

10 years ago

Oh, sorry - must have missed it in all the posts.

But yeah, since Freada doesn't read Latin and you didn't realize that a spell took time to actually learn , Freada isn't going to be able to have the spell just yet (though technically, you can read a spell right off the page with a small chance of not causing all sorts of horrifying results) - - - want to try? *evil DM smile... - - -

10 years ago

Yes.

Specfically the soul-binding page. And she will aim the shell thing at the shogoth lord.

(Better than nothing)

10 years ago

' you can read a spell right off the page with a small chance of not causing all sorts of horrifying results)'

(Also, BZ said they were useless for right now;

and besides, those particular spells are related to the creation and use of the soul prison fish tank thing anyway...)

10 years ago

We're all going to die anyways, I might as well have a little fun while we're at it.

And hey, the shoggoth might just have a soul. Souls can be bound (and this isn't relating to the soul-tank, this is relating to the soul binding, which can be done using the shell I took form the nurse's body.

10 years ago

........ See. While I love to have random and utter chaos, you're basically saying 'screw it, I'm gonna make everything worse'. 

10 years ago

Nope.

10 years ago

'We're all going to die anyways, I might as well have a little fun while we're at it.'

Unless this is some clever ruse to trick me into thinking that you are doing it, but you really aren't (like the shogi thing) (which isn't likely since its part of your post), I don't see how you don't realize that what you are doing will basically make life even worth for this event

10 years ago

Because it won't. 

10 years ago

Obveiously. Since getting a small chance of it not screwing everything up will allow us to survive, right? :P Come on Drak, firstly you openly state that its just for fun, and now you're back pedaling to say it'll work? 

Also, Shoggoth have a huge fort save

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/oozes/shoggoth

10 years ago

30% is a fairly small chance.

And I AM doing it for fun. My point is that even if Freada screws up the spell, nothing bad will happen. She'll lose a little sanity, fine, but she has the highest sanity available.

Now, I'm fairly sure that when berks said the above, he was joking. If he wasn't he probably was just referring to a sanity loss and a possible panick or loss of stats over nothing on my part.

10 years ago

' you can read a spell right off the page with a small chance of not causing all sorts of horrifying results)'

Alright, so you are basically saying that you know that BZ (jerk? :P) was joking about this statement, (with no evidence proving your statement). Um, Drak? There are plenty of possible screw ups BZ could pull on us. Perhaps you misfire your spell. Perhaps the magic causes the book to burn (though that may help us since Shoggoth are weak to fire) 

Amd yeah, I had to change that. 30% resistance isn't for the d20, he has a huge fort save. 

10 years ago

His is a +19, Henri's is a +8 (to compare)

10 years ago

Because he wrote *Evil Gm smile* right next to it, something you're apparently forgetting. I do it all the time, and most of the time i'm joking.

(The jerk was autocorrect)

The book burning does nothing to anyone. The spell misfiring does absolutely nothing to anyone.

And you need a high will save to resist the spell, not fort.

10 years ago

He's been doing that the whole game (and wasn't joking for most of them). 

(I assumed. Still amusing. :p)

Bookburning would burn your hands, and cause a fire in the small passageway, making us less likely to survive. But I gave examples, let's say you cast the spell, but it targets Earl? You just killed him. 

Hus will save is also really high +15

10 years ago

Really? Pretty sure he's been joking throughout pretty much the entire game. 

Bookburning would make the book burn. Once anyone feels the burning book, they drop it. The burns would barely be noticeable. And the fire in the passageway wouldn't do ANYTHING.

It would be a single burning book. People can run through fires MUCH more powerful than the fire of a single burning book and escape unscathed.

Now, if it targets Earl, that's unfortunate for earl, but to be honest, he'll be going insane soon anyways, might as well take him out from now and give us more time.

10 years ago

Ad what if it targets Henri? (second lowest will save). Hes perhaps the second most important since he can banish anything the Shoggoth summons. 

Hes been amused the whole game, but he's been serious*(as in, seriously joking around)  whenever you're going to get screwed.

10 years ago

And yes, i've considered that something like what happened to copycat would happen to Freada, but frankly, I doubt Freada can seal her own soul away in a shell, and even if she does, well, you guys all get a bit of extra time while the shoggoth lord eats her then.

10 years ago

But there is no gain. 

A) You will most likely screw up the spell

B) it'll likely be ignored since he has high will save (as in, nearly double everyone's). 

Its castig a spell, so it's a action (two actions per turn), and the Shoggoth can grab as many peoples it wants to engulf. Being close to it=death. You waste an action, your causing your life to be likely killed. 

10 years ago

I'm already behind Arnold and Zoe. Lucy will be the first to die. There is absolutely no chance that Freada gets killed by the shoggoth lord this turn.

I doubt I will screw up the spell (that badly), and if it doesn't work, then too bad. Aman, you;re not changing my mind or my decision with this pointless argument. Now I have to leave, so can you please stop nagging me for fuck's sake? 

10 years ago

Well, I suppose logic leaves when its your turn to play? :P Shrug, if you want to be the kind of person who constantly attacks others ideas, and gets upset when others disagree with his, sure. But I doubt you want to be that way. 

Also, Arnold getting killed by the Shoggoth isn't a good alternative. (since you block up the passage)

10 years ago

>>>Freada picks up the book, and gleans the soul-binding spell and info from there.

She then pockets or puts away the book. The SS would find this information very important indeed...<<<

The first line is invalid - but the second line works.

The first line also works if you just take it to mean that Freada looks at the soul-binding spell and takes a mental note of it - for later reference...

But anyway...

10 years ago

So where do we actually activate the x-ray? The activation can't be in the room can it?

10 years ago

Yes, there is a control panel, behind the radiation-shielded booth in the X-ray room itself.

10 years ago

It will be behind a lead glass partition in the booth with the radiation symbol in yellow right beside a button- Usually in the bottom centre or the right hand side of a large panel covered with smaller buttons and readouts. In rare instances there will e a small plastic shield over the button that needs flipped up to get to the button :)

More info than is necessary but hey ;)

10 years ago

Well - I got to go for the night - hope someone is brave enough to post by tomorrow haha!  ;)

10 years ago

Alright, im reading up on Shoggoths, and it says that they get hurt from fire. 

10 years ago

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/kengage/cthulhu/critt13.html

10 years ago

grenade then?

10 years ago

-_-

Not yet. I'm thinking we burn that book, and then toss it at the Shoggoth 

10 years ago

burn arnold and make him hug it?

10 years ago

w00t

10 years ago

the fuck?

10 years ago

Aeon, if you're willing, summon a formless spawn and send it at the shoggoth lord please.

10 years ago

Would cause fear work? or draw red sign? or all of three (including summon form)

10 years ago

Shoggoth are immune to morale affecting spells. 

10 years ago

so either red sign or formless spawn

10 years ago

Draw red sign- probably, but not worth it.

Cause fear - I doubt shoggoth lords can FEEL fear

SUmmon formless spawn - maybe. I'm hoping that whatever monstrosity you could summon, it would attack and keep the shoggoth lord occupied for a few rounds. 

10 years ago

it affects strength so Im more inclined to use that than anything else. maybe I'll use both...

10 years ago

If you use both you'll go insane.

And the shoggoth lord doesn't need strength (I would imagine)

If it does, then it will likely have far more than your red sign can eliminate (made far more likely by his high fort)

Now, the formless spawn on the other hand. The shoggoth lord will have to spend at least one round attacking that thing. You could save lucy, and it might even damage the lord a bit.

10 years ago

Engulf (Ex)

To use this ability, the shoggoth must begin its turn grappling a creature or must trample. A shoggoth may attempt to engulf as many creatures as it grapples or tramples in a round. This ability otherwise functions as swallow whole, save that a creature that cuts is way out of a shoggoth leaves no hole in the protoplasmic creature's body.

10 years ago

The spawn could cut it's way out then, or it could move quickly enough to evade the grapple. We know nothing about the formless spawn other than the fact that it's extremely powerful. That's enough for me.

10 years ago

Yeah, but Lucy still dies. (as in, it's not worth wasting a round right now, once we run up teh stairs, okay, we can hold It back, but right now Lucky is our sacrifice

10 years ago

I edited, you made a good point. I didnt see it had to be 5ft from me at all times.

10 years ago

Yeah, red sign isn't a good idea. You need to be 5 feet close to the target. 

10 years ago

AEON DONT STAY 5 FEET NEAR THE SHOGGOTH.

10 years ago

Ok, so Arnold and lucy die this turn...

10 years ago

I'm thinking Zoe might panic and throw the grenade if it grabs anyone, since they would be dead anyway.

10 years ago

Oooh, how about this plan:

Arnold casts "call tsathoggua"

Everyone else runs.

10 years ago

That would deal with the puny little shoggoth

10 years ago

Okay. Plan making time. 

We don't cast any spells. Instead, we fake thinking that we think that Dr. Phillips isn't a monster. Rather. We are a bunch of helpless fools who just stumbled upon this stuff. He shifts back into Phillips form, after we run away, and we meet him later on. I use the crystal thingy, and we win. (hope)

Also, Shoggoth have no mind control spells (unless BZ home brewed his own Shoggoth). So Earl is safe, (it also doesnt remove amity points)

10 years ago

Look through the crystal that stops him transforming?

10 years ago

He needs to be in human form for the crystal to work

10 years ago

ask him nicely?

10 years ago

Sounds like a plan. 

10 years ago

Update time...

And shame shame looking up Shoggoths (next time try looking up 'Shoggoth Lord') hehehe...

10 years ago

There it is -

Arnold is gone and Lucy is as good as gone.

Everyone needs to be very specific about which way they go - up stairs in broom closet or kitchen (if they even know about them that is).

Also - you only get 60 ft each round if all you do is run. If you have a straight line you can go further (but it will not likely apply in the hospital). If you take an action & run, you go 30 ft.

Freada may want to rethink going outside while gravity is reversed on her - it could be problematic...

10 years ago

(This is why you never listen to Drak's plans Aeon)

Good to know Earl is safe from mind control spells. Maybe he has a chance of living long enough to kill the thing after all.

So, I guess we just run from here.

10 years ago

Purity much. 

10 years ago

Almost just run... explosives and run. although with reversed gravity it might blow a door open into the ground floor where we are heading. Although it may jsut absorb it... No idea...

10 years ago

I thought it would have stopped at Lucy. I was clearly wrong about that.

But hey, it's working isn't it?

10 years ago

Hey Berka, what's the status of the elevator right now?

All things considered it may actually be faster to take it.

10 years ago

Oh please lord - let someone take the elevator - please oh please oh please! devil

But yeah, the elevator is a dog slow death trap! With it on the 1st floor, you push the call button - wait 2 rounds - door opens and stays open 1 round, then 2 rounds up between each level...

Plus the Shoggoth can get itself in there with you...

Any takers?

10 years ago

Lucy wants to in a comatose kind of way

10 years ago

^v^

10 years ago

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0444.html

10 years ago

The X's in the eyes are a dead give-away LOL!

10 years ago

Sigh, looks like yet again my meaning was missed. XD 

Haley said that she should have searched up Lichs in the monster manual. I ended up doing just that with Shoggoths. :P 

10 years ago

Curse your obscure jokes!  ;)

But like the strip - Arnold did actually buy everyone some time...

10 years ago

10 years ago

Huzzah! Zoe finally parts with the grenade!  ^v^

10 years ago

It was time...

10 years ago

So yeah, that's a great idea.

Let's make the hole in the wall bigger so it can reach us sooner.

Awesome.

10 years ago

Guys, I left the pantry door open. If we run that way, we can get upstairs the fastest. 

10 years ago

As if you can run up stairs....

10 years ago

If Freada is nearby, she can have me run up the stairs. 

10 years ago

But still, it works best if we go through the kitchen/pantry, since 

a) we can close the door on the shoggoth and maybe low it down twice

b) we can get upstairs faster

10 years ago

or you kow you idiots could just ru out the storm doors ad ito the woods....

10 years ago

or ignore my obviously superior plan

10 years ago

^_^

But I don't think your plan is good, since we need to kill the Shoggoth. Note that if the police come, it'll be our testimony versus Dr. Phillips (one is supposed to be here, the other is not). 

10 years ago

if you get outside into the rain.... you think it may have an effect on the ooze moster? plus give you room to move...plus you know you wont have to deal with the police....

10 years ago

Hmm, it may hurt our chances since black ooze isn't visible in darkness. And again, we can only kill Shoggoth Lord using the X-ray thingamajig 

10 years ago

i was just bringing up points plus my form is still fighting it. Find a light source and get outside lol.

10 years ago

Probably best for all that there are no living witnesses to your ever having been at the hospital...

10 years ago

Except The Policeman in Freada's car. (He's gonna be fucking murdered)

10 years ago

Who knows, maybe he'd join you if you somehow manage to bitch-slap his master haha!

10 years ago

Nah, he dead. He so dead. (Perhaps Earl gains a Homosexuality insanity+Necrophilia....) (Yes. I realize that is offensive. No I do not believe that homosexuality is an insanity. It is a joke. Nothing more. :p)

10 years ago

Back in 1928 it would be accepted as an insanity though...

10 years ago

And atheism. 

10 years ago

i didnt know there was...

10 years ago

Just the Cop, the Doctor of course, and possibly Lucy's Brother In Law - who knows that Lucy was looking for Laura that evening...

10 years ago

He's gonna die so hard. 

10 years ago

Just waiting on an in-character post from Aman and Drakilian.  :)

10 years ago

Well, I need to run wherever Freada is running. But I'm still thinking we should go over through the pantry path. 

10 years ago

WHo knows - maybe now is a good time to actually split the party   :)

10 years ago

That goes against every Roleplaying game I've ever participated in. Perhaps it's a good idea... 

10 years ago

What? Now you are going to point out that splitting the party is bad?!? BWAHAHAHAHAHA!  XD

10 years ago

^_^ Not my fault I didn't realize the first location in this game was also endgame. -_- XD

10 years ago

yeah same...

10 years ago

Well, technically it's not.

There's an entire section you all missed, where you go investigate the Hospital the next day during normal hours.

Most people also spend the day following the orphanage scene searching through more public records, like police records, asylum records, library and newspaper records. Then they go to the hospital at night after all that (and after Laura has her baby).

But Silver pretty much flipped out about her sister Laura right off the bat and here we are....  ^v^

10 years ago

Ah, and there's where I could have gotten my holy water. 

Damn we fucked up this campaign. 

10 years ago

you expected more from us?

10 years ago

Still fun though...  ^v^

10 years ago

im sad that i died so easily. at least my form is there...

10 years ago

Yeah - Old Arnold took 21 Points of Damage and then failed his Massive Damage Fortitude Save... :(

10 years ago

I didnt know my hp was ANYWHERE near that low though...

10 years ago

Yeah, part of what makes the Blind HP System so nerve-wracking.

10 years ago

Arnold - was Bruised, which put him between 25 & 50 % of his original hp - then a huge hit all at once knocked him into 25% or less...

10 years ago

gotcha

10 years ago

This game makes me look forward to running The Call of PikaChulu LOL!

Or a possibly a Jap-Anime Fantasy Game --- or vampire game...

10 years ago

im a huge fa of that one you sent me a link to. That looked GREAT!

10 years ago

http://www.bountyheadbebop.com/forum/index.php?topic=296.0

That would be the one hehe  ;)
I do believe you have to be logged onto the site to see it though…

10 years ago

ya im all over that...

10 years ago

EF7 2?

10 years ago

A Jap-Anime Fantasy Game?

I didn't know you were into that kind of thing.

I'm totally game for it.

10 years ago

http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/forum-games/message/9403

10 years ago

Many people don't consider pokemon to be anime since it's so popular, like dragonball Z.

10 years ago

I wonder what the odds of Earl being able to drag Henri up the stairs before they get eaten is...

Wait nvm, Freada can temporarily make Henri not afraid of stairs when we get there.

10 years ago

Yep. 

10 years ago

Speaking of Lucy sister's baby, we saved her by coming early didn't we?

10 years ago

Well, if we're all killed, I would hardly say that we'd have saved her.

10 years ago

We just have to make sure we ignore all your future plans. All we have to do is run to the x-ray room, get behind the booth thing, wait till it gets inside the room, and hit the switch.

10 years ago
Well, one person has to lure it directly into the room, so one of us four must be put in a horrible situation to win.

10 years ago

My plans are perfect.

10 years ago

[citation needed]Perfect for killing us perhaps. :P

10 years ago

Hey, we came out of this beter (sort of) than we went in. Arnold may be dead, but he was near insanity anyways, and the shoggoth lord clearly isn't winning the fight, it's a tie until the beast runs away.

Without that, we'd have probably lost another character anyways, and we wouldn't have the head start we have now.

10 years ago

While I'm too tired to argue this since it'll be worthless to argue this, I'm going to point that you said 

'My plans are perfect' which means all of them. Proof that is wrong is the fact that you were convinced soul bind was a good idea (thank god you changed it)

Or the fact that everyone has a bad plan

10 years ago

For fuck's sakes man, do you not understand sarcasm? I know not all my plans are perfect, but you have you not realized that every time i've been insulted i;ve responded with a "Pfft, no, i'm perfect"

Do you not understand that i'm doing this to lighten the damn mood?

10 years ago

Then why did you take my citation needed joke seriously as well? (That's why I responded with your joke with a joke, and you responded seriously, so I assumed you were serious)

10 years ago

I still don't think my plan was a bad one. I responded by saying so.

10 years ago

Yeah, you responded to a joke by being serious. Thusly, I inferred you were being serious. It's not a 'for fuck's sake, do you not understand sarcasm?' moment, its a moment where you seemed (to me) to be defending the statement I assumed was a joke. 

10 years ago

Would it have been clearer had I said

"Before you read the folowing post, you should understand that I am not defending my comment that all my plans are perfect, I am simply defending my plan from accusations of badness"

10 years ago

No, of course not. :P (*sarcasm)

--

We need to have a set color for sarcasm though, other sites have such things, and it'll help for the less adept at finding them. Maybe blue or purple

10 years ago

Your logic is god awful lol.

The fight doesn't exist, because the Shoggoth lord and the summon can't even hit each other, so it's just going to ignore it.

Along with that, not only did Arnold's decision NOT help Lucy, since she's as good as dead now, but it also resulted in him dying.

For nothing.

10 years ago

Well, it slowed down the shoggoth. (not that we really needed it slowed down yet)

10 years ago

They can hit each other. It's just that all the hits don't do anything. But the shoggoth clearly can't just ignore it, or it would have done so already.

Lucy was too close, I suppose, I was expecting her to run but clearly the lord had a higher initiative. As for arnold's death, do ou believe he could have done anything OTHER than summon the formless spawn that would have been useful? His death is delaying the shoggoth lord, and giving us time to escape it. His death was better than what he could have done alive. 

Your logic is absolutely terrible. 

10 years ago

Arnold has a shit ton of spells. Obviously he could have been useful. He didn't stall anything.

10 years ago

(Deflect harm comes to mind)

10 years ago

(As well as using the summon spell when it wouldn't cause his death)

10 years ago

(I never told aeon to stay where he was when he cast the spell. Admitedly, I didn't tell him to move, but I can't be blamed for him NOT doing it)

10 years ago

Casting Summon blob (no, not blob from CYS :P) is a full round action. Can't move.

10 years ago

(Assuming shoggoth used one attack per round per target (how the shoggoth works in the d20 system), casting deflect harm would have stalled the shoggoth for longer then summoning the spwn) 

10 years ago

It takes a full round to cast deflect harm, he'd have been taken down regardless.

... I think. How many actions does one have per round?

Yeah, nevermind...

10 years ago

1 full round action 2 actions. 

10 years ago

So why didn't you suggest this last round?

10 years ago

Why? Because I don't claim to make plans. 

10 years ago

10 hours ago

Okay. Plan making time. 

We don't cast any spells. Instead, we fake thinking that we think that Dr. Phillips isn't a monster. Rather. We are a bunch of helpless fools who just stumbled upon this stuff. He shifts back into Phillips form, after we run away, and we meet him later on. I use the crystal thingy, and we win. (hope)

Also, Shoggoth have no mind control spells (unless BZ home brewed his own Shoggoth). So Earl is safe, (it also doesnt remove amity points)

10 years ago

Let me phrase that better. 

I don't claim to make good plans. :P

10 years ago

BUT I'll point out that I didn't consider the summon spell worthwhile atm.

'Yeah, but Lucy still dies. (as in, it's not worth wasting a round right now, once we run up teh stairs, okay, we can hold It back, but right now Lucky is our sacrifice'

10 years ago

How could he have been useful? He has a few spells, but the only one that would have done shit to the shoggoth lord was the "summon formless spawn"

It's clearly stopped the shoggoth lord from moving forward. Every single one of his other spells would have resulted in him dying before he could do anything, or being completely useless. 

10 years ago

Oh, Divination...

10 years ago

Literally anything he could have done could have been useful.

Animal form - turn into an animal that can carry us/run faster

Augury - To determine if something we want to do will work

Contact tsathoggau - Because YOLO

Deflect harm - Obvious

Divination - See Augury

Message - Try and talk with the monster to distract it

Speak with the dead - Could have been used on the nurse or any of the deceased to figure out whats going on

10 years ago

Speak dead and message would have been useless. Animal form would have gotten him killed before he could have made himself useful.

Divination I admit, would have been useful... 

Deflect harm would have been good for stalling, as Aman pointed out (but you all did not bother to suggest beforehand..)

Contact Tsathoggua I already suggested, albeit as a joke.

But Summon Formless Spawn was still hardly the worst course of action.

10 years ago

Sigh.

It really is pointless to ever bother talking with you.

10 years ago

The feeling is mutual.

10 years ago

I'm going to post a final OOC thread for after-game discussion and to answer questions and such.

Then I'll put up the End - Game Final Update.

10 years ago

D: 

So the game is over?

10 years ago

All things considered there isn't much in variety we can do. We know we need to get to the X-ray lab and hit the switch once it gets there (at least Earl knows that).

The rest is a matter of getting to it.

So either we made it and won, or didn't make it and lost horribly with our souls eaten by the shoggoth.

Only time will tell...

10 years ago