Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Need ideas

10 years ago

Okay, so I started writing a CYS game for the Spring Thing that closes near the beginning of April... And I kind of ran out of juice. The game I'm making is supposed to be 5 chapters long and with about 3 weeks to go, I haven't even finished chapter 2. Wouldn't be so bad except that I've got writer's block and just can't seem to motivate myself to finish the story, so that sucks.

Still, I don't want to give up on the Spring Thing, so I figured maybe I'd quickly use the next couple of weeks to write a short story that still leaves an impact. (Kind of like Snow.)

So far I've only had one idea, and that's just for the first line. Was thinking of starting the story with: "Hello, my name is (haven't thought of a name yet), and if you're reading this letter then I'm already dead."

... And, that's all I got. Anybody got any ideas where I could go from there? cheeky

Need ideas

10 years ago
Here's an idea, not sure if your going to be able to use it though. The man who wrote the letter explains about a group of scientists that are doing experiments that could possibly end the world. He could be part of the group, or just heard about it from someone, but the scientists found out about the letter adn killed the guy who wrote it. But he hid it somewhere safe where the scientists can't find it and some other guy stumbles upon it, reads it, and then freeks out. So it's kind of like a mistery. I know this doesn't fit your description, but meh, someone else might be able to use it.

Need ideas

10 years ago

The sentence is really catchy, but you may want to consider rewriting it, because it sounds a bit too much like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/814Gb8m%2B%2B%2BL.jpg

So the story looks like it'll be about a dead protagonist and/or main character? Well, it kind of depends on the genre and style of the story desired. For a sad story, maybe the person writing the letter committed suicide for some reason that involves the reader? For a more comical/lighter story, maybe someone writing a letter from some sort of afterlife?

Or perhaps taking random bits of plot from tons of stories and cobbling them together? I do that sometimes XD

But at any rate, it only takes a couple of idea scraps to make a colorful story.

Need ideas

10 years ago

Oh... Never read that before. Damn it, no fair! Was my idea, somebody just... Had it before me cheeky

A letter from someone who committed suicide could be interesting, but right now the plan is that the letter isn't being read by somebody the dead person knew, it's being read by a random person who happened to find the letter and as the story goes on, the player finds out more about who the victim was and why he or she died.

Need ideas

10 years ago

Curse those filthy idea-pilferers! This--this is imagination piracy! The cruel irony!

I see--kind of like the broken-memory/bits-and-pieces style like Snow? It'll be good to put a spin off of the ordinary concept, maybe like lead the reader on as to how he/she died and then at the last moment throw the real reason right at them in a way they'll never expect (or otherwise add some nice shock value).

I don't know if this will be helpful, but it may give you more ideas:

http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/davidc/6c_files/documents/mysteries/divmysteries.htm

It's an activity that I did in Writing class once--it's a collection of pictures with captions that are writing prompts and you can write a story that includes something like that picture. It's The Mysteries of Harris Burdick, and apparently the pictures are "mysteries" you're supposed to "solve" by writing a story that revolves around the pictures (although I don't recall middle-schoolers doing this project...)

Need ideas

10 years ago

Wow, that looks really cool ^_^

Need ideas

10 years ago

Wait, what kind of story are you making? Are you looking for ideas to further your story, or ideas for a story itself?

Need ideas

10 years ago

Further the story.

Ideas, here we come.

10 years ago

Ooh! Ooh! I know! A MURDER MYSTERY! *flails arms excitedly*

I think it would be great if everyone else thinks this was a suicide, saying you're grieving over their loss, but you can investigate their murder. You could question people, gather physical evidence, and check alibis.

It would be perfect if you could have alternative endings depending on whether you guess the killer correctly or not!