Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

How would a corporation run America?

9 years ago

This is just to fuel an idea that I am developing for a storygame, though I thought it would be nice to see what your opinions and input would be. This corporatocracy would have elements of many forms of government blended into one.

So here is how I think it would be set up.

Leadership

At the top, you have the CEO (essentially the monarch) leading the corporation in the best direction and being the "face" of the business. The CEO is appointed by the board of directors. His personal guards are referred to as the Chairmen. Below the CEO are the board of directors (essentially a republic/oligarchy council) who have control of different areas of the business. All the most major decisions go through the board and the CEO. Below these people would be the lesser executives followed by the work force of the organization.

While the CEO is at the top of the ladder, he/she will still need to gain enough support of the board before making any huge decisions. It should be noted that the CEO doesn't have to get their approval for anything he does, although it is likely that he/she will already have support since he/she was appointed by the board.

When a CEO is being selected, candidates will be chosen for the job. These candidates must appeal to the workers, lesser executives, and of course, the board of directors (taking elements of democracy/republics). The candidate has to show that they are capable of leading the company in the best direction.

The job of the CEO and board is simple: lead the corporation in the direction that makes the most profit.

Economy

The corporation will have a self sustaining economy producing its own currency. Everyone who is a "citizen" of the corporation is actually a worker (taking elements of communism). The corporation only takes care of those who work for it. For example: the corporation will only provide welfare/medicare for people who have worked for them previously (worker's welfare/medicare). This way, they don't waste funds on people who have done nothing for them.

Every "citizen" of the corporation will be employed, otherwise they will not be a part of the corporation and thus not receive the benefits that come with being a worker. Because everyone must have a job of some sort, the unemployment in areas controlled by the corporation will be little to nonexistent.

Territory

All territory owned by the corporation is private property. Any who wish to enter this property must pay a predetermined fee set by the board of directors. This solves the issue of allowing immigrants who cannot contribute to enter the corporate land. Because they operate as a corporation and not a country, they will have less restriction in dealing with illegal immigrants as they see fit.

Crime

All workers within the corporate territory will abide by a social contract. How they are punished depends entirely on what the crime was. For example: thievery will be punished with imprisonment as well as working the more undesirable jobs, without pay. They will remain a "free labor worker" for a predetermined time until the punishment ends.

Military

The corporation does not have a military. Instead, it has a security force that protects the employees and the interests of the corporate executives. The S.F. will carry out the punishment of those that break the social contract, as well as maintain the peace within corporate territory. A major advantage of the S.F. is that as "employees" themselves, they can be stationed anywhere in the world that works under the corporate as "added security".

Thoughts? Comments? Questions?

9 years ago
I could see the corporations "contracting" various mercenary organizations, rather than maintaining their own security force.

9 years ago

Workshop.

9 years ago

As I said, although it is something that I was juggling in my head, I brought it to the lounge in hopes to have a discussion about it. The topic itself doesn't pertain to any storygame.

9 years ago
Well, you are talking about an entirely hypothetical government "that you are developing for a story-game".

9 years ago
Just like now :P

9 years ago
Heil Google!

9 years ago
D.J. MacHale did something like this in one of his Pendragon books. If I remember correctly, the corporation made it so that citizens were 100% reliant on them for jobs, food, services and goods. They held a Death Game competition every so often to raise the spirits of their mindless drones.

9 years ago

How would the cooperation deal with foregn countries. I'm thinking things like invasions, trade, maybe even getting more land.  

9 years ago
Invasions would be prevented by the security force. Trade...well, that's pretty self-explanatory. Land acquisition? Buying or confiscating it from entities that breach contracts.

technocracy

9 years ago

Have you heard of technocracy, it was a movement in the 30's to have the govern,net run by scientists an elite figures int he scientific community so they can run the government.