Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Lord of Time progress motivation thread.

9 years ago

So, seeing some of the other motivational threads in this forum I decided to start my own.

Lord of Time is about the life of a young boy named Eric. He is a descendant of an ancient race known as the Telva, which Eric is only 1/8. The telva have been special because the can see the future and the more powerful telva can influence peoples decisions. This is not what they are well know for though, Time Lords are what they are known for. Time Lords can stop time for short periods (their endurance can run out). Stronger ones can even travel through time, or freeze it for longer periods. Eric's life in this story will go into multiple paths and some will not even include the major villain in other storylines.

This is the first of at least two stories in the series.

At this point the story is largely incomplete, but if you want to just glance over it do so and let me know what needs work on. If you happen to spot any major errors before I start proofreading let me know, and I will try to fix them.

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/lords-of-time

Story Lines Completed 0/5 (or more have not even looked at the other side of it yet.)

Percentage finished. Probably in the 4% range.

Pages. About 28.

Timeline. I want to finish it within Three to Four months. This is my goal, but as time progresses I may extend it quite a bit.

9 years ago
Sounds pretty intriguing. Would you put this in the fantasy genre? It sounds like it's going to be quite action-heavy. One thing though, is there a really good reason why you want to split the storygame into two? Generally it's better to make one big storygame because if you have multiple endings for the first one, it's difficult to write a plot for the second storygame that makes sense.

9 years ago

Yeah it is fantasy. magic, swords, and other races will be around. Yeah I am taking a risk with the second story, but it will pick up the unfinished plot. I hope it pays off, but here is how I will try.

Think of the first book as a story being read by the narrator to someone. The player effects the story. When you start the second story the narrator will finish the prologue and the second story picks up. Essentially the first one is a prologue being told to people in the second story. My hope is that people will understand in the second story that no matter your epilogue, the narrator was telling it. So if you choose path a the narrator told the listener what you did on path a. Because of it being like a book in the second story the ending you received does not matter as long as I make sure the endings Eric lives in has him going to the same place. Which to keep it simple will probably be two endings. The other thing I will have to do is to limit the stuff Eric did being talked about.

It would be difficult, but too many things will happen in the first story to not have a different story. As for the second story I will be throwing in some time travel mumbo jumbo. Essentially what I will be doing is a new character for the second story, but is being trained by someone who was with Eric during his life.  The villain will be different. Same place and different time, but the villain will be amped up in this story. I won't even use the second person as I am right now. As for Eric himself ehhh.

9 years ago

If it's fantasy then I hope you're planning to let the MC master magic other than the time thing. If you don't be sure I'm gonna send assassins (if the other peoples on the site don't get to you first) ;)

But anyway It sounds like an awesome game hope you finish it I'll be one of the first people playing :)

9 years ago

Actually there is a story line where he focuses solely on magic. In that one his time abilities only augment his magic abilities, and magic is his main strength in that line.

9 years ago
Hmm...sounds interesting. The phrase "time lord" reminds me a little too much of Doctor Who, though.

9 years ago

It's not what I was going for,  more of these guys control time such as a Lord controls his subjects. 

I will give it thought about wether to change their name.

9 years ago

@Jaryeth

For spoilers, try:

<span style="color: #FFF3E5">(Spoiler Text)</span>

That will make the spoiler text invisible until someone highlights it.

9 years ago

3/24/15 So as an update over the last few days I have been working on the first elf encounter. Two things I have done to keep them from being cliche,

1. They do not speak common tongue. Thanks to Tolkien and his elvish language they have a fluent elf language far better than I could come up with. This gave me a language barrier, but I believe I have found a work around for that, magic and junk.

2. They dislike humans. Seriously if a human crosses into their borders they kill/toture the human. Normally they bring the human to an elder and the elder decides the human's fate, but if they try to run they are tortured mercilessly. Eric however is not human and he might be allowed on the elven borders.

I have given thought to renaming the Time Lord group. I have decided to go and and make it telva. This allows me to give every telva time controlling abilities, and to separate between the stronger and weaker I will have telva, gifted, and high telva. The telva being the normal people who have basic divination. Gifted can slow time and see multiple timelines. High Telva master time and can travel through it.

9 years ago

Update time.

I am about halfway through the first storyline, and have implemented some romantic interest. I will also be fleshing out some of the side characters story arcs, so that they effect Eric.

As for connecting book one and two I have come up with an ability that allows a telva to grant knowledge in the form of experience to a descendant, normally done at the end of one's life as once this ability is used you die physically. In several storylines this ability is used, but the several erics send their knowledge to a single source in a single timeline. This single source will a character in book two many years in the future. Hopefully the way this will work is that no matter the epilogue, experience, or storyline if you live you end up helping the character in book two. 

So my question for this is, Does it seem too linear? Right now it is the journey that is important not the destination. if it seems that the endings are too linear, I have ideas on having the erics converge in one timeline but have them on different sides,  or some could be alive  while others dead, that kind of thing. Time travel gives me some liberty to break normal rules so I can do a bunch of crap such as having multiple erics.

9 years ago

So I did get my first storyline finished, hurrah. This story will probably be put on the back burner till I finish my contest story.