Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Story ideas

8 years ago

I was thinking about writing something, not exactly a choose your own path like story, but it might be.

So, what do you guys think about these ideas?

The first one I was thinking about would revolve around a group of four adventurers who awake in a dungeon, lost and confused, and have no idea about anything, except what their names are. They have to traverse the entirety of the dungeon, at the same time gradually finding out who they are, and attempt to escape a evil force holding them captive there. It sounds a lot like Legend of Grimrock to be honest, because it's mostly inspired by the idea :L

I was also tossing the idea around about just some generic fantasy travel or space station horror. I tried to write one a while ago, but it didn't work out too well, and I was wondering if I should take another shot at it.

Story ideas

8 years ago

I'm no sure if you should do it, the plot is like the plot in The Maze Runner except no maze.

Story ideas

8 years ago

... "Generic" should never be a word you can use to earnestly describe your work. It's fine to have simple concepts, but not simple execution. A quote to illustrate my point: "Sometimes the most beautiful poetry can be about simple things, like a cat, or a flower or rain. You see, poetry can come from anything with the stuff of revelation in it. Just don't let your poems be ordinary."

You're going to have to make a noticeable effort to distance your work from Legend of Grimrock or Maze Runner or whatever you draw inspiration from, because it's supposed to be your story and it needs to be unique.