Non-threaded

Forums » Bugs & Problems » Read Thread

Post reports about problems or bugs in here.
This bug was closed 1/4/2023: Bug squashed

Previous Page link not working with item

7 years ago

Is there such a thing as being in the Advanced Editor forum too much?

Anyway, I have a problem with my item page. When you use the item, it brings you to a certain page. I used a Previous Page link to get back to the story, but when you click it, it says:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Input string was not in a correct format.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

But when you click "Go Back" at the top of the page, it bring you back just like it's supposed to.

Another Problem

7 years ago
If you have a script on your back-page link and are missing the @ in a $DEST := @pxx script, it will give you an error.

Another Problem

7 years ago

I don't have a script in that link.

Another Problem

7 years ago
It would be worth deleting the link and creating a new one.

Same thing for the whole page in some cases. They can get messed up during saves from time to time.

Another Problem

7 years ago

That's actually exactly what I did. I deleted the link first, but I got the same message. Then the entire page, and the message is still there.

Another Problem

7 years ago
To clarify the problem, is this correct:

You have an item. On the item page you have a page (let's call it Page I) listed to go to when the item is used. On Page I you have a link that says go to the previous page. When you use the item, it takes you to Page I. When you click on the link (to the previous page, on Page I), that takes you to the error page. In addition, if you delete the link and re-create it (on Page I), the error still occurs. But if you click the "back" button on Page I, it works perfectly fine.

Do I have that description right?

Another Problem

7 years ago

Yes.

Another Problem

7 years ago
Let me go check a couple things, but I don't think it should work that way...

Another Problem

7 years ago
Ok, never mind, that can work. I was thinking that the item page wouldn't know the "previous" page, but I just tried it as described and it completely worked for me. When you created the link for "previous page," did you just select that option and leave it alone? When you re-created that link, did it do anything different? Can you get the error on any other pages of the story?

If nothing else works, you could try and re-create the item and then re-do the pages and links?

Another Problem

7 years ago

I checked the previous page option and changed the name of the link. That was it. When I recreated it, it was the same. I'll try making a new item.

EDIT: Still didn't work.

Another Problem

7 years ago
Ok, then it is perhaps something in your story, not related the item. Can you try using the item from a different page and see if it still does the same thing? I know that application error can be ugly, but unfortunately it is very non-specific and can be difficult to track down.

Another Problem

7 years ago

That didn't work either.

Another Problem

7 years ago
Ok, I think I found it... would this happen to be in the story, "*Thinking of a title*?"

Another Problem

7 years ago

Yep.

Another Problem

7 years ago
Short answer: It is the asterisks in the title.

Longer answer: Asterisks don't work right in HTML titles. You have to do special coding to allow them, convert them, and force them to work in different places, like in the address bar. Clearly they are caught in the "back" button code, but not in the code for "previous page." They are causing the internal processor to explode, which generates the application error.

Solution: Get rid of the asterisks in the title.

This might fix it right away, or it might require you to re-replace some of the pages and links, I'm not sure. I am pretty sure that if you get rid of them in the title that eventually this will work.

Another Problem

7 years ago

Oh, wait, me being an idiot. It's not in that story. Wow.

But I changed the title anyway.

I redid everything again, same thing happened.

Another Problem

7 years ago
Hmmm... I really thought that would do it. I was peeking at the stories you have setup with sneak peek to see if I could duplicate the problem. I don't see any items in those stories. Is this happening in a story that you have sneak peek turned off?

Another Problem

7 years ago

Sneak peak turned on.

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/Pack_Songs.aspx

Another Problem

7 years ago
So the link is missing right now? (I can use the bag, but there is no link on the page when used)

Another Problem

7 years ago

Oh, whoops. I'll fix that.

Another Problem

7 years ago
Have you tried saving the PageID in the item script and then using $DEST to go back to it?

Possibly I'm over complicating things, but I have an item that can be used anywhere for browsing background info on a setting, and I haven't had any issues with this approach.

Another Problem

7 years ago

What? How do you do that?

Another Problem

7 years ago
I'm pretty sure that will fix it, but I was trying to figure out why the simple way isn't working! :)

Another Problem

7 years ago
A related problem is that the item itself is getting changed when you click it. Your same error appears when you try to double-use the item.

I'll take a peek at it...

Another Problem

7 years ago
I see that you are not the primary author on the story. I have seen other issues with co-authors making changes to Items.

Try getting the primary author to correct this, using the suggestions above.

Another Problem

7 years ago

Alright.

Another Problem

7 years ago

Hi! Didn't work.

Another Problem

7 years ago

I just tried it on another story and it worked fine.

Another Problem

7 years ago
Sounds like weird issues with the story itself. If you can make it work in another story then you might consider scrapping the current one and starting over - as you wern't too far into it as is.

6 years ago

Woo, it's been a while.

Anyway, update! Made a second story, with more detail, and now it only goes wack on a specific page! I checked the scripts, since I forgot to last time, and I did have a script changing last page(a codex script). I edited that. It fixed all but a specific page. Then I checked that page, and it has no script on it whatsoever, or the link. The "Go Back" button in the corner still works.

Link to game: http://chooseyourstory.com/story/Pack_Songs_V_0x2e_2.aspx

6 years ago
Where is the page where it breaks and on which item?

6 years ago

The page that the item "Your Wolf" brings you to, if I remember correctly.

6 years ago
Whew! Ok, I found that page. A minor suggestion: perhaps when assigning stats there might be an option to increase something by 5 as well as 1 because it takes a ton of clicks to get through that section.

I did get the error. Can you paste the script you're using on that link? Where is that script (how did you get to where you put the script in)?

6 years ago

I'm not using any script on that link, that's the problem. It's just your average previous page link. I do, however, have a global page script(for my codex).

IF %ISCODEX = 0 AND $PAGEID != 
9 THEN
%LASTPAGE := $PAGEID

It's the only script involving last page links.

6 years ago
I don't think I understand.

On that link (that breaks) there is no code. Then what is the destination of the link?

6 years ago

I'll move the item to the first page for easy access. :)

Again, it's a regular previous page link. So whatever page it was on before you used the item. Unless I'm misunderstanding the question.

6 years ago

It can't just be the previous page link, because using the item again causes the same error. Take a look at all the scripts that might run on or around that page—the two global scripts for instance.

6 years ago

That was the only script even close to that page, and the only global script. :\

I have three other scripts, for pages not even relevant, and not even linked to the story yet.

EDIT: Thanks, BradinDvorak, for solving the problem!

one year ago

the bug has been fixed in the thread
please move to close