Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Relationship Variables!

one year ago
Soooo, there's this very popular story called The Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost. In the game, there is a stat option to show how your relationship with other characters is with positive and negative numbers. How do you script that, does it have any variables needed? Also, in The Price of Freedom: Innocence Lost, when you click a certain link to interact with a character, it tells you how many points you gain from clicking the link. For example, giving food to your brother in the game gives you 5 relationship points. I wanna do something like that too.

Thank you to anyone who tried to help me. It is greatly apprenticed!!!

Relationship Variables!

one year ago
You will need variables, yes. You create them and then set whichever choice links you want to affect the total in different ways.

If you look under Help & Info there on the left you'll find lots of articles to explain, and just clicking around in a test game may help a lot.

The stat button itself exists outside the part of the game authors can normally alter and uses javascript. But you can get the same effect with an inventory item that takes you to another page when used. Which I think is a little more practical for you.

Keep in mind you don't *need* this stuff for a game, the writing quality and significance of branching will always be looked at first. But the basics for things like this are pretty straight forward once you understand what variables are and how they work.

Relationship Variables!

one year ago