Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Sentience

16 years ago

Alright guys! I've finally decided what I'm going to do for my first story in Krael.  It's called Sentience and that's because, unlike most stories on here, it's completely un-linear. My goal is to give the reader the feeling that he can do whatever he wants. Whether thats to become a freelance mercenary, join the council of the Elves, join the infamous and incredibly charismatic bandit "snake in the grass" or even encourage darkness and revive a dark god.

Another cool thing is that you can end up seeing the same thing through different prospectives depending on which of the five story-lines you choose early on.  For instance; you may find yourself on one side of a trap; being enslaved or captured.  However if you'd chosen something different earlier on; this might have been reversed and you could be springing the trap.

This story is highly inspired by Ground Zero (Time will pass, epilogues designate endings and will have a strong story aspect) and Mommy Can I Go Out And Kill Tonight (Character Creation, lots of scripts, and a strong game aspect).  I'm hoping to get the balance between story and game right. Like Mommy.  75% story.  I'm Also going to need help for many scripts as I will be using a complicated level up system.  Anyways, contact me if your interested in helping. Especially you Lance.  Again here is the link to the map:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa311/Jordan-AR/MAP.jpg

And Here is the link to the forum post where I announced the world:

http://www.chooseyourstory.com/forums/message.aspx?MessageId=4588

PS: If you want to help then you'll have to do quite a bit of writing.

Sentience

16 years ago
To clarify. Helping doesn't mean script writing (I'll post specific scripts I need in the forums), by helping I mean writing.

Sentience

16 years ago
I would love to help you with the writing. I have never used the advanced gamer generator before though, is this a problem? In any case, I am very good at finding pictures and I don't mind checking spelling and grammar. I think I will be sticking around here for a long time this time, so you can count on me to do my best.

Sentience

16 years ago

Sounds great, sounds a lot like serennia was gonna be. You planning on adding any co authors? I would love to help you, if you want.

riley

Sentience

16 years ago

No, Weedy, I don't think it would be.  If you both still wan't to help then send me your e-mail addresses (sorry if this is an inconveniance) because there is alot of skimming you'll have to do to understand the land.  If you don't want to commit or you're afraid I'm a rapist that will track you through your e-mail then don't send it to me ;).

It's still in the planning phase (as far as writing goes) but I'm always in need of people who will put pictures in, write sidequests, etc.  Thanks in advance.

Sentience

16 years ago
Why don't you just PM me? I have got a block on my email but would love to help all the same. I will promise to check for PMs on this site everyday.

Sentience

16 years ago
Its nine pages long and the other one is an excell file.  I'd honestly love too but I Cant.

Sentience

16 years ago

Wow, sounds pretty epic and going by what you're describing it sounds like it will be incredibly long especially with the advanced scripting.

Good luck on this, I'm sure you know writing these types of things take nearly forever. Over 1000 rooms and 2 years later and I'm still writing Legend!

Getting some people to contribute like you're doing will probably help move things along though.

Sentience

16 years ago
I've got one at 500 rooms (pages but rooms actually make more sense) and one at 450 so yeah I'm pretty sure ;)

Sentience

16 years ago
pah!  Rooms!  It's not a room!  Rooms are by definition are "an area within a building enclosed by walls and floor and ceiling"

Sentience

16 years ago

Yeah and I guess pages could mean over the internet as well...

Sentience

16 years ago
But I can have a "room" that's 4 pages long on Word, so if I say if it's 1000 pages it might be misleading to how actually long the story is.

Sentience

16 years ago
Maybe "page" isnt the right term, but room certainly isn't either.  Thats just my opinion.

Sentience

16 years ago

Rooms is the term we use over at IS and I'm not changing now!

Anyway back on topic, any idea of how much time you're going to have pass? Are you going for a lifetime sort of thing or just something like 10 years?

Sentience

16 years ago

I fully understand, chaning lingo is difficult.

Time really depends on your storyline, I think its going to be possible to complete the game in under a few years, but on the other hand it could be 10+ years.  I'm not looking for a lifetime thing (although it may happen in one path, and epilogue will cover the rest of the characters age) because it is my first time doing that sort of epic.