Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

The power that blinds us

12 years ago

Ok so I've started to work on a story and was just wanting to get the opinion of everyone else around to see if this sounds like something they could get into. It's based in the not too distant future and the story follows a young man with powers and his group who also have powers. Mutants aren't known to the world yet, and most remain in relative secrecy about their abilities. The group the main character is in are mostly theives, who steal from the upper echelon of society, to fund themselves. They end up stumbling upon a plot for mutants to take control of everything and utilize humans as slaves if they're lucky. So they begin to fight against this, mostly because if mutants are known their theiving will get a lot harder. Then a betrayal happens which threatens the life of the main character. At the most opportune moment you will be able to decide whether the main character chooses to save humanity or destroy it.

Does that sound at all interesting to anyone? I know it's not a lot of infor besides basic plot points but I don't want to give too much info away cause it'll ruin the twists that happen.

The power that blinds us

12 years ago

Pretty decent idea, but it's all about the writing. If you can get it all to mesh together well, chances are I'll like it, seeing as the idea is interesting.

The power that blinds us

12 years ago
I agree the Idea is very unique and cool. If it messes right You could have a winner.

The power that blinds us

12 years ago

The worst part about writing is that having good ideas almost doesnt matter at all. Its about being able to apply good ideas. Mostly everyone who starts, starts with good ideas. Far fewer finish then start. I do not say this to discourage you, That is the last thing i want to do. Im not so much excited about your idea, as I am by your intent to try. The best advice i can give as far as motivation goes, is to tell yourself, this is what I want to do.

The power that blinds us

12 years ago

Try this, and tell me what you think:

There are several layers in the hierarchy of mutant existence. 3 are known, and 2 are unknown. The first and strongest of the society believes in balance and anonymity between the surface dwellers and mutants. The second believes that they have just as much right to live in the surface as their human counterparts do and hopes to coexist with them or if not possible, enslave them. The third is fundamentally views the different perspectives from a scientific standpoint, and that with all the research done on mutations, they hope to supply enough technology/radiation powers to build a floating city above and away from the surface. These three factions institute their own facilities from sewers, to the insides of secluded mountains, to the point of even having cities underwater and in cavernous tunnels underwater.

There also exist 2 other species unknown to all, even to the other separate unknown species themselves. One race is from the ancient past, who down the line of evolution have mutated and look all too entirely different from what man is today. Whether it was from the Ice Age or even backtracked to the era of the Dinosaurs, one aspect remain true, they have a fully functional cognitive capacity that is in par with any person or in some cases, exceed the normal apititude. They dwell below the earth, building mighty channels across the planet.

The second live amongst them all. They are the shadow, that conceals all knowledge of their existence and have eyes open to all secrets. Some are like parasites living and hiding within the surface inhabitants, some manifest in multiple personality disorders, others do not even know they are due to being well hid in their DNA, and the most pervasive of them all are those who are invisible and hidden in open light or those who can tranverse different dimensions. They have cities in deserts, forests, volcanos, and outer space. They hide when visible, disguising themselves as one of the residents of the places they travel, and live completely camouflaged when seen from the naked eye should they desire to be amongst one of their own. Genetic diffusion helped set their foot on all grounds, and buried a gene most horrific. The one that can transform them, all from decision of their one leader. Activate all their genes at once and results could go from zombification, to mind control, to becoming frenzied and berserk. And worst of all, once a specific gene is activated, it can infect anyone through open wounds. Should their leader ever be killed, the genes lie in wait, and in time, another will arise to take it's place.

Your character is still the lowly thief, and rest is what you make of it.

(Oh, if you run out of stuff to maneuver, you could add in aliens and stuff.)

The power that blinds us

12 years ago

Reminds me a little of Infamous 2, but yes. It sounds good.