Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Greetings

12 years ago

Hey, forum readers. I just thought I'd introduce myself, seeing as how I'm a newbie.

First, I'll start off by saying that, not only am I a newbie on the site, but I'm a newbie when it comes to storygames as well! A friend of mine introduced me to them yesterday through an app on her Ipod Touch, and I immediately became addicted. My curiosity got the best of me, and within a day I found myself looking into such things as these storygames. Low and behold, I found myselff on this site.

Though I'm unfamiliar with the world of storygames, I'm no stranger to writing in general. I've grown up wanting to become a published author, and this seems like an excellent place to stretch my metaphorical wings. Not only would I get a chance to practice writing, but I'd also get a chance to bring readers into my worlds and let them help me decide what the best line of action in a plot would be.

Please understand, some days I have absolutely nothing but time, so I will spend hours writing my own games and giving the best feedback I can on other stories. Other days I am busy the entire day and have no chance to get back on here. Either way, I will try my best to remain an active member of this site.

That being said, I'm looking forward to exploring this site and growing as a writer.

~R~

Greetings

12 years ago
Welcome Resthera! I'm 3J. If I might offer you two pieces of advice, I'd suggest that you read the story Ground Zero by Endmaster to get a feel for a really, really well planned CYOA. It's really excellently pathed and I feel like it's pretty well the ultimate framework for how to write non-linear fiction. The second piece of advice is to skip the basic storygame engine altogether and write only in the advanced editor. You don't have to use any of the advanced features (items, variables, scripting, etc.) but it's user interface is far superior to the basic editor.

Hope you enjoy it here!
3J

Greetings

12 years ago

Well that was a fast reply. Thanks.

Within the short time I've been here, your name seems to have cropped up in a ton of areas.

I'll definitely be sure to look into that story. As for the second one, it may be a while and a ton of planning before I even begin to create my first CYOA. I know nothing on scripting, so I probably won't be using its features, but I'll definitely look  into the advanced editor first.

I really appreciate the warm welcome.

Greetings

12 years ago
Welcome, to you my friend! I hope we see more of you. in the future. I would also suggest looking at JJJ's work as well. He is great at writing story games to.

Greetings

12 years ago
Hey, I'm Bo, a regular here. I would suggest just checking out Endmaster's stuff for
1.) A way to write a long story
2.) How to find good way to keep from ebing linear
3.) An overall great story experience
4.) A guide of just what you can get away with here in your writing.

Greetings

12 years ago

Greetings one and all! Oh . . . there's only one of you :P

Okay, that was cheesy. Anyway, I'm Fergie. I'm a regular on here who knows a good deal about this site and the advanced editor. I'll coauthor or test your storygame if you want. Some other regulars are:

Ugilick: Great for coauthoring or story testing

Bo: Is a great editor if you need some help

Cool74: A guy you can talk to and can test your game

October: Can help you in almost any area

JJJ-thebanisher: as his profile says, he's The Grandmaster of the Written Word (so he can help you with anything)

SindriV: He's a great coauthor and cool to debate with

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but a lot of people are regulars around here and I agree with reading Endmaster's stuff. He's a great writer (though . . . a little disturbing) :D

Hope you stay with us for a LONG while!

-fergie

Greetings

12 years ago
Welcome, it's great to see a new member posting in the forums.

This is an article with a list of members.

http://www.myadventuregame.com/help/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=34

Don't feel obliged to read it though.

Greetings

12 years ago
Come to think of it... that article could use some revision. We have several more regulars now, including me, Sindri, Fergie, Killa, etc.

Greetings

12 years ago
Love how I am not on that list, ;)

Greetings

12 years ago

You and Bo are both in the Co-authors list.

I did find it funny though how they started Ugilick's description with:

Ugilick- although not a very important member of the site....

Greetings

12 years ago
Don't worry Ugi we still love you. : )

Greetings

12 years ago
hahahahahahahhahaha

Greetings

12 years ago

lol. Even though I'm not considered a regular, at least I'm mentioned.

Greetings

12 years ago
I wrote the article early last summer. 3J, I I'll revise it if that is ok.

Greetings

12 years ago
Correction, I updated the article last early last summer. I did not write it.

Greetings

12 years ago
Last early last.... >:(

Greetings

12 years ago

lol ugi. you're so corrective!