Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

My Apocalypse Ain't No Rest For The Wicked

11 years ago

I don't know if this is the right place to put it, but here I go.

I made a storygame called MyApocalypse a while ago and it was considered ok by most, I would now say that this made me want to write a sequel but to be honest I intended doing so in the first place. Now the thing is there was some feedback and wanting to improve the entire thin I decided to make it longer and add pictures.

When I recently reviewed my past pages I found them to have way more text and pages than the first one in the attempt to improve it so it would not be as linear as the first one, the problem is that im starting to get the feeling that I'm writing to much per page and the different choices really let the number of pages skyrocket (at least in comparison to the last one) so I just wanted to  ask whether you believe that a large amount of text per page is negative or not.

On top of that I have recently lacked the motivation to continue writing, although I know where I want to go I often find myself distracted by searching for pictures. Any professional tips on how to solve my 'problems' would be highly appreciated.

11 years ago

Lots of Text vs. Minimal Text is more or less a personal preference of the reader. Some will like huge detail and won't mind long pages, while others will like short snips and 'fast-paced' read-throughs.

I understand the whole explosion of pages thing - I'm over 2000 pages in one story. But just do what you can do and don't be in such a hurry to finish that you give up before it's done. My story is just over 1 year in the making and it will show in depth and quality against a short one put out in a day for example.

When I get burned out on it, I also put it down for a few days or so and do something else. Then I go back to it. The key to it all is just pushing yourself to keep at it.

11 years ago

Thanks for the answer! Im nowhere near 2000 pages but it's nice to see that Im not alone with the occasional lack of motivation. ^-^