Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hello, I’m new around.

3 years ago

Hello, I am new to this website and I would like to get accustomed to the community. I am also a good writer with not many ideas; I am currently working on one story. Could use a mentor to show me around and use the features such as scripts and variables correctly. (I read all the beginner articles but still a bit lost)

Hello, I’m new around.

3 years ago
Welcome! For a first story I'd advise not trying to write anything too massive, these stories can really get away from you if you're not accustomed to planning around all the branches. We've had many promising newbies go in expecting to write an epic and then just burn out before they're even halfway through. Something on a smaller scale is recommended when you're first getting a handle on the editor. Scripting and variables are all optional things just fyi, some of the most popular writers on the site don't use them at all. But if you could give an example of something specific you were trying to do, someone could help you more easily. And honestly, once you know how to do one thing with variables you know how to do a hundred different variations for most other scenarios you can think of. All a variable is is a labeled box that stores information, and at various points when the player clicks certain links you've set up you just tell the game to check what's inside whichever box and respond based on that.

Hello, I’m new around.

3 years ago

Hey, welcome to the forums. Make sure to scour the Help & Info section in more detail. You'll see articles that have examples of using variables. When you want to make a storygame, go to My Stuff -> Storygames and start a new one. When you want to write a script, you can add it under Scripts if you want it to execute every time a page loads or every time a link is clicked. Alternatively, you can start a page and attach scripts to the links when you click them (which of course only belong to that page).

Scour around for solutions to your problems first. Ask only when you have a pointed question (this is life advice; apply liberally). Otherwise people that might want to help will end up suggesting things all over the place, since it's unclear where you're stuck.

Have fun!

Hello, I’m new around.

3 years ago
Welcome to the site. Indeed there really is a lot here. Read. Read forums and read stories. You will learn a lot that way. Then, when you're ready to try and make the story parser do something specific, you might already know how to do it.