Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Kids growing up from the parent's point of view

7 years ago

Hello, I'm looking for good books/media where the growing up of a kid/s (genetic not necessary), from the point of view of the parent(/s)/guardian/caretakers is the focus.

The guardian can be a terrible person, that's no bar either, but they have to be old enough that the kid doesn't take them to be an elder sibling.

The time horizon of the story needs to be substantial (atleast a decade, preferably three).

I'm looking to understand what interactions make the story interesting, and what the pacing looks like. Bonus if the setting doesn't change (e.g. family unit grows up in the same house since the beginning of the story), or if there are pets involved.

Thanks in advance,

StrykerL

7 years ago

Are you looking for a scientific or fictive point of view?

7 years ago

Focus is on the interrelations between the family unit and what they do with their time. Modern era realistic is preferred, but if a fantasy/fiction genre does things well, that'd still be helpful.

7 years ago

Boyhood by Linklater is a pretty good example of what you're looking for.

7 years ago

Indeed, that's a good one, thanks!

7 years ago
Found another item in this category: Usagi Drop (anime)

6 years ago

Anime specifically, not the manga, because NO.

Also, if you're okay with something even more anime, Aishiteruze Baby is apparently a good one? I haven't seen/read it myself, but a friend of mine is crazy about it.

6 years ago
I found the anime first and wholeheartedly enjoyed it. When I did my post watching deep dive into the work itself, I was really alarmed at the direction the writers had taken the second book, no idea what they were thinking.

What's the timeframe over which Aishiteruze occurs? The art style itself looks highly unappealing and painfully generic.

6 years ago

I think the girl is 5 years old, I'm not sure how far it goes.

I actually dug up something that seems pretty interesting, though. It's an old-ish (If you consider 2000 old-ish) manga called With The Light, and it's about a single mom raising an autistic child. No, seriously. I've heard that despite it's extremely manga big-eyed sparkly look, it's very good, but the author died before it could be completed. 

I might check it out myself.