Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

How to Increase Stat IF Leveling Points are There?

8 years ago

So I tried to make a stat page, but I included Lvlpts, standing for Leveling Points, as a variable. On the stat page, I put links increasing the stat, but I wanted it to increase ONLY if you had 1 or more Lvlpts.

How would I do this? I didn't work for me.

8 years ago
It didn't work for me as in what? Did you actually try something?

Why not just use a variable restriction?

8 years ago

I wasn't sure if variable restriction meant if it's in between *number* and *number* it will show, or not show, so I tried both. I put between 0 and 1 and I also tried 1 and 999999999, haha, but neither worked...every time I clicked Play Ravadeer: Tower of Shadows, the stat links were grayed out, so I had to edit it.

Eventually I gave up and asked in the Forums.

8 years ago

Try "> 0".

8 years ago

I tried again with Advanced variables...I failed. Now it doesn't recognize when the lvlpts are at 0... -_-

8 years ago
You said you only wanted it to happen if the variable is 1 or higher. Doing nothing at 0 is it working exactly as intended.

8 years ago

But I can keep clicking Increase Stat by 1 as many times as I want, or not at all, my first and second problem.

8 years ago

Make sure you  tick the 'Use Multiple" - next to the variable change .

8 years ago

I did! This is so confusing! :\

8 years ago

Check show on page to see if the variable is what you expected it to be.

8 years ago

It is.

8 years ago

Show us your script.

8 years ago

Um, it's not script, I was using the variables.

Wait, if I made you a coauthor quick, could you check it out?

8 years ago

Sure.

8 years ago

Lvlpoints isn't on the page, and you can't click any of the links to increase skills.

8 years ago

But I'm wondering why I can't click te links.

8 years ago

Variable restriction means that you CAN'T click on the links when the statements are true. So when LVLPTS is between 1 and 9999999999, the links will be unclickable. By the way, having level up to 9999999999 is totally unnecessary. There will be exactly zero people who will get anywhere near that. You'll be lucky to have anyone even hitting level 100 even if you have them level up once per battle.

8 years ago

I made a random number to mean unlimited. And I tried flip flopping that. Can you fix it?

8 years ago

Fix what?

8 years ago

Whatever it is that's not letting me click the links :(

8 years ago

I told you what you're doing wrong. Or did you not understand?

8 years ago

Not exactly. But I've tried everything I can think of, so...

8 years ago

Then instead of telling us to 'fix' it for you, maybe you should be trying to understand what you did wrong.

8 years ago

I've tried that.

I'm sounding lazy now, aren't I? Sorry...

8 years ago

Tried harder. Why don't you start with exactly what is it that you're not understanding?

8 years ago

Btw, leveling points don't mean level, they mean the points you spend to increase stats.

8 years ago
Are you subtracting skill points or whatever you use whenever they upgrade something?

8 years ago

Yes

8 years ago

I've read this entire thread and I'm still not quite sure I understand what the problem is.

My first guess, just from your original post is that you have Lvlpts set to zero, meaning clicking the link won't increase it. So it's doing exactly what you've told it to do. But if it's more complicated than that, than take a step back, and spell out exactly what it is that you're trying to do, and how you have it set up.

It's probably just something small you've overlooked. A variable increasing another variable is generally pretty simple. I know it must be, or I wouldn't be able to have gotten it working in my own game. :P

8 years ago

He has Lvlpts set to 5, and his variable restriction is between 1 and 9999999999, so of course none of his links are clickable. I've tried explaining that to him, but even that, he's unable to comprehend. 

8 years ago

She, and I tried to understand, I really did. I'm sorry I'm not smart enough to get it

8 years ago

The Editor tends to break with numbers higher than 900,000.

On Link Restrictions, the restriction prevents the Link from being shown (or clicked when shown) unless the conditions you set are true.

So if you have a restriction on LINK that says VARIABLE = 10, then the Link will not show, unless VARIABLE equals 10.

8 years ago

Oh.

Well that would explain it then.

Soulwriter, if you have to use a restriction, use one that just checks if Lvlpts is greater than zero.  Right now you're telling it if it's between 1 and 999999999999, don't show the link.   Stop doing that, problem solved. :P

Or am I missing something?

8 years ago

Right. Looks like using a number like 999999999999 breaks the advance editor, since the number is too big, which is why that the link restriction wasn't working. Checking to see if Lvlpts is greater than zero will work just fine. 

Edit: Looks like you can't use greater than in link restriction. You can only use in between so and so. So she should just use in between 1 and 999, and it'll work fine.

8 years ago

Someone really ought to go through and document all these tiny little broken things, because they do make a difference. I still remember beating my head against awhile trying to figure out why AND wouldn't work...

8 years ago

But you can use greater than in link restrictions. Just now, I tested it.

8 years ago

Oh. I guess her advance editor wasn't turn to the highest level, so it was only showing between so and so. It's been a while since I've last used the advance editor. 

8 years ago

Hey guys! It works! Thanks!

8 years ago

Congratulation.