Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Item Pictures

7 years ago

Hey I was just adding some pictures to the items in my story game and was wondering what's the standard for Item pictures in games? Should I have them all look the same stylistically or is it ok if they look a little different from each other. Also should I avoid pictures that are a little warped or is that not really too big a deal? Right now I'm mostly just putting in free stock photos.

Item Pictures

7 years ago

Well, make sure they're not too obnoxiously big, as that does get annoying if all the pictures take over half of the page.

Other than that, making them look the same is good. Don't switch between cartoon, real, and whatever else style for the pictures. However, this might just be my own nitpicking, and we all know how nitpicky I am. xD

And this really does not belong in Advanced Editor Forum as it doesn't involve the advanced editor in any way.
I would say this belongs in Writing Workshop.
@Killa_Robot @Endmaster @Whateverothermodwantstodealwiththis

Item Pictures

7 years ago
Pictures don't have to do with writing, so this is in fact the right place this time.

Item Pictures

7 years ago

Ah. Oh well. I just feel like this should belong somewhere else as it's not really an "advanced editor" thing either.

Item Pictures

7 years ago
From what I have seen and read of and by the readers of the site -- pictures are simply not used often enough on the site to really have a "standard." Most readers here are interested in the story line and the pictures are often just there (of course, there are exceptions). Are your pictures part of the story itself (pictures that will appear with the text), or are they pictures for items in the story?

I think in most cases, as long as the pictures don't take away from the reading of the story, they will be fine. At the same time, some readers will find any pictures distracting because they want to read a story and not be shown what they should be seeing. Others, not surprisingly, will love the pictures.

Personally, I'd go with a consistent style, size, and even color base, just because that would make the most sense to me.