Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Clickable Images?

6 years ago

Okay so some 2 or so years ago shortly before I disappeared from the site, I had an idea for a storygame that was more or less comic format. I asked about this before but didn't write it down. (Or I did write it down and I cant find amidst the files of swapping laptops/phones a few times since) But I do recall there being a way to select only a portion of an image and making that clickable. It had a certain coding that used pixel points as a boundary line, but I dont remember it at all. I dont think I got around testing it either so not sure if that even worked. If anyone knows how to do this, I would like to know. Despite having very little time currently, its still something I would like to work on (though I'll probably change the original storyline massively). This time I'll be sure to save the link or code or whatever so... anyone know?

Clickable Images?

6 years ago

It's called an image map. Fortunately, there are a good deal of online tools for generating the HTML required for a map.

Clickable Images?

6 years ago
As I recall, getting the Image Map to actually take you to the right page in a CYS Story is a challenge, requiring numbering every Link in your game (including Deleted ones).

There is a Thread about it around here somewhere though...

Clickable Images?

6 years ago

How do you number a deleted link?
If you find the thread please share

Clickable Images?

6 years ago
I've never even figured out how to link to individual pages without using the usual methods with the editor. There's no specific page URL to point to if you want to put a link within the text itself as far as I can see.

Clickable Images?

6 years ago
If you right click and use inspect element in firefox on the link it will tell you the link number. The issue is if you ever actually delete the link the number won't work, as it simply doesn't exist.

So you need to hide the link used on the page (as in say it only appears when an impossible condition is met). Or you could be really sneaky, and place the links you need on a page no one can ever access, as links used for something like an image map wouldn't care about where the links originated from, only their script and where they're pointed to.

Clickable Images?

6 years ago
To Quote you haha!

>>>
Suppose it's worth noting the only way I found you can see the "link number" of the link is to open the story (read it) with a normal link to the page, rightclick the link and click "Inspect Element" (works in Firefox/Chrome).

It'll pop-up something that contains "onclick="PostBack('FollowLink','5');" in it (usually it auto focuses on that spot). The number in there is the number of the link that you can reuse.

So, the easiest way would probably be to make all the links first, record their numbers all at once, then delete them all and do the mapping part.
<<<

Clickable Images?

6 years ago
Oh old me, encouraging people to delete the links rather than just hide them so you're able to access them later.

Clickable Images?

6 years ago
Yeah, worth pointing out that they do not need deleted.

Clickable Images?

6 years ago
I'd been wondering this too since this is something I'm eventually going to need to use for a map. I remember that My Vacation game had one you could click to move around in the game world, before the guy took it down and vanished. My plan B was going to be PMing @Madhattersdaughter the next time I noticed her around and being very nice to her.