Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

How to make a Party?

5 years ago

Yes, Mizal, I remember that you said that it's like creating an inventory or something like that, but I want to learn how without doing trial by error. I have too much to do on Infinity Dungeon. So, who will answer me on the scripting and such? (Note: I want there to be 3 Party members, not including you, each with their own inventories, stats, and names.)

How to make a Party?

5 years ago
You're going to have to be a bit more specific on what you actually want them to do, like are they just NPC companions orwill the player be switching between them or what.

Either way the bulk of the work will be not the scripting but the writing (you'll be saddling yourself with an insane amount of it).

Anyway I really recommend you take time to read some articles and learn the basics, it seems like you're trying to dive into a game that makes heavy use of scripting before you really understand anything about it.

Making a smaller game first to get a handle on the editor and an idea if what you're getting into might also be a good idea.

How to make a Party?

5 years ago
Make three sets of variables for what you would expect to have for each party member. You then add some logic to determine what those variables are (AKA who each party member is, items they hold). You then add logic for all that to actually impact the storygame.

... I mean that'd really be it. If you don't know how to code it yourself, you likely wouldn't know how to use it, meaning there's not much point in just telling you how to make one. That's also putting aside the fact that no one has made one before and thus would have to make it specifically for you.

How to make a Party?

5 years ago
Looking at his other thread it seems like he's already using a lot of variables for other things which means he knows more than I expected, given the question. So I'm back at needing info on what specifically he's trying to do with party members.

Tracking arrows and hit points or whatever for other characters is no different than doing it for the MC, it all comes down to what their actual influence is going to be which is more oh the writing/formatting side of things.

How to make a Party?

5 years ago

Ok, mizal. Yes, they will be NPCs, and I suppose you are correct in the fact it would be no different from writing the stuff for the player. But the inventory changes to see what each party member has (you can use them to help with combat and the likes) is what is still confusing me. Will the HADITEM variable work for it, as said in another post? Or would you recommend something else?

How to make a Party?

5 years ago
Hey @EatTheCake, the reason you're not getting a simple, clear answer is that we still can't really tell what you want to do, so we don't know how to implement it.

For example, do you want the reader to be able to switch between different NPCs, "See" through that NPC's eyes, and have their inventory change to only what that NPC has? If so, how is that going to work (by using an item(s)?)

Do you want the reader to have a single item that represents each NPC and then they can use that item that will then show them the inventory of that NPC and be able to use items from there? I can't imagine how that will work in combat unless you only allow a single NPC to attack each round, if you wanted the reader to select actions for each NPC, that might get pretty complex.

Do you want the reader to click a link that will simply show them stats and inventory for each NPC? How are the NPCs going to get items in their inventory? Will that inventory be related to the reader's inventory? How will they know the difference?

In other words, the more detail about exactly how you want the reader to be able to move through the story you give, the more exact answers those with scripting experience can give you here.

How to make a Party?

5 years ago
You should write an article explaining how to clearly ask questions and describe problems because this isn't the first time something like that has been needed around here.

How to make a Party?

5 years ago
I have to wonder if that article, much like advice to teachers article, would ever actually get read...

How to make a Party?

5 years ago
Right but then next time it's needed somebody can just slap a link down and move on.

How to make a Party?

5 years ago
Good point...

How to make a Party?

5 years ago
Hey, some people actually read the articles and then still have to ask dumb questions like me.

How to make a Party?

5 years ago

You're killing me here! I try to answer in a clear way! Anyways, you said:

Do you want the reader to click a link that will simply show them stats and inventory for each NPC? How are the NPCs going to get items in their inventory?

And here's the answers: Yes, I want them to see the NPC's stats and inventory (I'll figure out a way for the reader to understand it isn't their inventory), and NPCs will start with some items. They then could be given items at their specific page, and would also pick items up in parts of the story. You wouldn't get the items that they get, unless you choose to swap it for another item (also done on their page, via links).

Is that enough information? No? Then here: you also said this:

Do you want the reader to have a single item that represents each NPC and then they can use that item that will then show them the inventory of that NPC and be able to use items from there? I can't imagine how that will work in combat unless you only allow a single NPC to attack each round, if you wanted the reader to select actions for each NPC, that might get pretty complex.

No, I don't want a single item for each character. I have an item made called a Census that will end up bringing you to the party page, where there are your party members. Combat rounds won't work out, but non-traditional combat will be where the NPCs use their items. And yes, I'm aiming for a complex story.

do you want the reader to be able to switch between different NPCs, "See" through that NPC's eyes, and have their inventory change to only what that NPC has? If so, how is that going to work (by using an item(s)?) 

Technically no, no, and yes, in that order. You can't switch between being a player, but they can switch between who's stats they're seeing. No, you can't "see" through the NPC's eyes (unless you have a certain item, but I haven't given that any thought until now. Maybe a Sight Crystal or something, to see what you don't notice, but the NPC's do?) And yes, the player should see the NPC's inventory. Happy now?

How to make a Party?

5 years ago

Berka did the whole NPC party thing with Delve, he'd probably be able to help the most.

How to make a Party?

5 years ago

BerkaZerka, get your ass over in this forum oi else I will PM you to death about this shit!

How to make a Party?

5 years ago
Go right ahead, I can't see that backfiring at all.

How to make a Party?

5 years ago
Have you read Delve, Mr. Cake? Perhaps you should check that one out to see if that's what your intentions are.