Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

ItemPageID

5 years ago
Anyone used this feature? I was thinking that if I set $ITEMPAGE3 := 122 that it would take the item and put it in that location. That doesn't appear to be working. I am trying to make it so that when a reader uses an item, the item breaks and disappears forever. But, of course, if I just take it out of the player's inventory, the item appears back where it started. Yes, I can set the number of uses to 1, but I really want the item to completely go away. If I can't get ITEMPAGEID to work, I could start the item in a room that the reader can't get to and set a variable to find out if they've used the item. If they haven't used it and they get to the room where it is supposed to be found, I can put a link in to pick the item up and I can use ITEMSTATE to put it in their inventory. Then, once they use it, I can take it out of their inventory and it will go back to the mystery room -- but that seems like an awful lot of work to make an item disappear...

ItemPageID

5 years ago

As far as I can tell, $ITEMPAGEID just doesn't work. Even if you try to change the value in a script, it seems like every $ITEMPAGEID will always equals zero.

ItemPageID

5 years ago
Dang it. Thanks!

ItemPageID

5 years ago
"Then, once they use it, I can take it out of their inventory"

Set number of uses to one and it leaves their inventory automatically when it is used once. Easy peasy.

ItemPageID

5 years ago
I thought I tried that, but then it re-appeared back where it started. Maybe I'm remembering wrong and I set it to one use AND forced a drop... Thanks!

ItemPageID

5 years ago
1) Give them the item in page script
2) Set number of uses to 1
3) Don't give them the item again if they go back to the page (check $ITEMUSED if needed)

You're not wrong (I don't think at least). If you put it on the page that will happen.

ItemPageID

5 years ago
Oh, duh! Somehow I completely spaced the idea that I don't actually HAVE to start the item on a page! That works great, thanks again.