Non-threaded

Forums » Bugs & Problems » Read Thread

Post reports about problems or bugs in here.
This bug was closed 6/4/2014: fixed!!

[v20140009] Extra BR to paragraphs in storygames

9 years ago

The new editor for the storygame does the same thing the old one did: add an extra </br > to the end of each paragraph, resulting in the double space still.

9 years ago

OK, I'm going to "fix" this. My worry is it will break formatting on some storygames.

Here is an example showing how this could be good and bad...

Raw  Text Current Fixed
"Hello," <b>Steve</b> said.
"Hi," she whispered.
"Hello", Steve said.
"Hi," she whispered.
"Hello", Steve said. She replied, "Hi," she whispered.
<p>this</p>
<p>is annoying</p>

this

is annoying

this

is annoying

... so, if authors are not using the rich text editor, and relying on line breaks... this could break.

I did a VERY QUICK test on some stories, but once this gets deployed (see news and updats). please test this...

9 years ago

I'm guessing this should only affect the stories once authors go to edit them though (much like how the current issue only affects already made storygames only when you go to edit a page), which means they shouldn't have to worry about things being broken unless they're changing something.

Unless this will affect already published storygames or something.

I mean, the </br> is being added AFTER the page is saved while editing, and only in the storygame editor (you fixed it when it did it in the forums like a year ago or something).

9 years ago

This would impact *all published storygames*.

The problem isn't so much with the editor (it's actually producing *proper* html), but with the way the HTML is being processed on the story viewer. Basically, I will now say "if the page text has HTML in it, don't treat line breaks as <br />".

Can you think of some storygames I should do a quick look at?

it's easy to rollback if it makes it worse.

9 years ago

That's odd though.

My first story "Survive the Zombies" was made back before the error first occurred. It has normal spacing between paragraphs.

My second story "Through Time" was made during the error, so in order to make it seem normal, I had to use Shift+Enter to only move down one space in the editor between paragraphs, which makes it appear normal when reading it as a storygame.

If the change affects all published storygames, one of these two are bound to break, because they're both different in the editor, but currently look the same as a storygame.

This is a page from the first one (in source code):

<p>Day Zero.</p><br /><p>You wake up, it seems like a normal day.</p><br /><p>A little too normal....</p>

Day Zero.

You wake up, it seems like a normal day.

A little too normal....

This is a page from the second one:

<p><br /> You blink your eyes and look at your new surroundings. You&rsquo;re alone in the middle of a classroom, a very familiar classroom. Glancing down you notice you&rsquo;re sitting in a desk and that there&rsquo;s a small &lsquo;J&rsquo; carved into the bottom right of its surface. This is your desk. At least it was, some point in time many years ago. Bringing your attention back up you notice the class is now filled with other students, each sitting in their own desks frantically writing notes. You don&rsquo;t recognize any of them, or rather you can&rsquo;t since none of their faces are clear to you. A teacher stands at the front of the class by the blackboard, presumably lecturing, though you all you can hear are muffled words.<br /><br /> You idly glance around the room and notice something out of place. A girl stands in the doorway, with long blonde and pink hair, flowing down to just above her waist. You stare at her for a while, trying to remember who she might be. No one else in the class pays any attention to her, and like the rest of them, you can&rsquo;t seem to make out her face. Suddenly, she turns around and runs down the hallway.<br /><br /> You stand up and walk out of the classroom, ignored completely by the rest of the class. As you enter the hallway, you look down the way you saw her ran, but see no one. Curious, you continue down the seemingly endless hallway trying to find her. Finally, you seem to reach the end, as a black metal door now blocks the path. Grasping the handle, you push it open. A bright light emits from the inside, blinding you and preventing you from seeing what&rsquo;s beyond the door. Curiosity gaining the better of you, you close your eyes and step through the doorway.</p><br />

You blink your eyes and look at your new surroundings. You’re alone in the middle of a classroom, a very familiar classroom. Glancing down you notice you’re sitting in a desk and that there’s a small ‘J’ carved into the bottom right of its surface. This is your desk. At least it was, some point in time many years ago. Bringing your attention back up you notice the class is now filled with other students, each sitting in their own desks frantically writing notes. You don’t recognize any of them, or rather you can’t since none of their faces are clear to you. A teacher stands at the front of the class by the blackboard, presumably lecturing, though you all you can hear are muffled words.

You idly glance around the room and notice something out of place. A girl stands in the doorway, with long blonde and pink hair, flowing down to just above her waist. You stare at her for a while, trying to remember who she might be. No one else in the class pays any attention to her, and like the rest of them, you can’t seem to make out her face. Suddenly, she turns around and runs down the hallway.

You stand up and walk out of the classroom, ignored completely by the rest of the class. As you enter the hallway, you look down the way you saw her ran, but see no one. Curious, you continue down the seemingly endless hallway trying to find her. Finally, you seem to reach the end, as a black metal door now blocks the path. Grasping the handle, you push it open. A bright light emits from the inside, blinding you and preventing you from seeing what’s beyond the door. Curiosity gaining the better of you, you close your eyes and step through the doorway.

They're fundamentally different.

9 years ago

OK that makes sense; in this case it should be fine.