Non-threaded

Forums » Bugs & Problems » Read Thread

Post reports about problems or bugs in here.
This bug was closed 9/24/2019: Sounds like this is fixed

Losing Pages Due To Time-Out

4 years ago
I'm an idiot, so of course I choose to write in the site's editor rather than writing off-site and pasting it into the editor once I'm done. Because of this, if I work on a page too long (or start writing, get sidetracked, then finish writing later), I'll lose all the work I did on the page when I hit that "save changes" button due to it timing out. I was wondering if this is something that could be fixed, but it seems like it might require overhauling the servers or some sort of technical shit that can't just be fixed with a quick update.

4 years ago

Also has happened to me but i have evolved and started using word, and then copying and pasting and also refreshing before i put it on,

4 years ago

A good idea is to copy (and thus store to clipboard) whatever you wrote before hitting any of the buttons. It is an extra step, but I find it isn't too tedious. Regardless backing up your work offsite is a good idea, but feel free to do as you wish.

Anyhow, assuming the timeout is intentional, this would fit better in the Wishing Well. Getting rid of the timeout completely would be nice, but I have no idea about the technical side of things, so for all I know it might not be doable. Maybe having some warning about timeouts would be a good compromise, so it doesn't catch anyone off guard.

If the fix is easy, I'm sure people would appreciate removing the potential of losing work.

4 years ago
Yeah, I've done that before to ensure I haven't lost work if I felt like I had the page open too long. Still, I'll probably look into backing up my work off-site. I doubt the time-out is intentional, but at the same time it definitely doesn't seem like something a site update can fix; it probably has something to do with the servers or some technical shit like that. Or, yeah, giving a warning that the editor may time-out if you have it open too long, or even a rough estimate of how long it takes for the editor to time-out would be good.