Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/19/2019: I like where your head is at but this is probably not a good solution.

Commended Posts Movements

6 years ago

So, sometimes there will be a thread in which a post gets commended, but the thread gets deleted and the commendation link leads nowhere. I don't like the idea of high quality, commendable pieces of writing and writing advice just being deleted, so I propose a thread is created for Commended Post movement, and when an admin tries deleting a thread with a commended post in it, it notifies them that there's a commended post within the thread. This will allow them to be aware of the commended post, and then they can move it into the commended post movement thread so that quality pieces of work aren't deleted.

The idea is not to move all commended posts into the created thread, only ones that are in threads that are going to be deleted.

6 years ago
what if the commended post requires context and that context warrants deletion?

6 years ago

Then the context can be explained with a quick admin edit or a reply. Usually a commended post can explain itself without context though.

6 years ago
I think you may be greatly overestimating how much of a fuck any non-JJJ admins give about commendations.

6 years ago

Possibly. I just highly dislike the idea of high quality pieces of writing and whatnot being deleted. It's not the commendations themselves that's the main issue, it's the commended items.

6 years ago
I think it would make more sense to remove the commendation if the post & thread get deleted.

6 years ago
That's the equivalent of removing the EXP point you get from rating a trash story before it gets unpublished. It does not respect the time of the person who made the effort to read that story, and in this case the time of the person who wrote whatever was commended.

6 years ago
I don't think a small pop-up would really achieve much. I'd rather have something like deletedaccount, an account that copies all commended posts and keeps them somewhere. This isn't a new problem, we've already lost a few commended posts during the times of Black/Blue/whatever, and I can understand a mod's wish to prevent unnecessary spam in a thread. In that case, either saving a copy of the thread to archive.org before nuking it, or adding a feature to lock threads from further commenting would be better solutions. I tend to try and save commended content in the Lists article, but there have been so few commendations in the last two months I've really not had the motivation to do that.