Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 5/8/2021: No hierarchical layout, but reorganizing it *is* worth thinking about

Storygame layout

3 years ago

I was thinking the layout of the editor could maybe be changed.

Instead of it going like this:

PAGE1ksjdfkjpengpqwnpifjsaidjf

PAGE2jfkdsl;alksjdfkjipegjdlkjskasjdflk

PAGE3fdhjshaklsjdhflkjd hkjshfalkjdhf

Perhaps it could be like this:

PAGE1

/                 \                                                                       

PAGE2             PAGE3

Just a thought, it would be pretty nice for people who have many pages in one chapter, they can get pretty confusing.

This probably could also be turned on/off in the profile.

OR...

If the pages get too cluttered, there could be dropdown menus or something like that to help.

Storygame layout

3 years ago

I don't know much about the ins and outs of the site's code, but that sounds like it would be pretty difficult to implement. Don't get me wrong, it's a really cool idea and I'd love to see it added if possible, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. There are other programs out there that you can use to outline your story like this though. If you like doing things the old fashioned way, you can also just use pen and paper for an outline and go off of that when writing. Another idea, if you've got an old cork board and some twine lying around, you can use that too. Sure, it'll make you look like a crazy conspiricy theorist but on the plus side... it'll make you look like a crazy conspiracy theorist.

The point is, if you're having trouble visualizing the different storyline paths in your game, there are plenty of options out there that might help. 

Storygame layout

3 years ago
The real problem is scripting. With the ability to script you have no true way of knowing where these links will actually go.

Storygame layout

3 years ago

Hmm, you're right, I didn't think of that :P