Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 1/8/2017: Not worth it for the time commitment.

Adjustable "random storygame" button

9 years ago

Okay, in the "Warrior Cats Games" thread, Alexp mentioned setting the "random storygame" button so that it only pulls stories with a rating of 4 or higher. Then, I started thinking, "what if he made it so that people could select a rating range for a random storygame to be pulled from?" I know it might seem like a stupid idea, but I feel that people would like the ability to be able to choose the quality of storygame they get when they click on the button. I know it will require a lot of work to make something like this happen, but I would greatly appreciate it if you would consider my suggestion.

9 years ago
It would solve many problems to have that kind of filtering system for the random button, however the random button is in a position that it can't really have a filter setting near it. Possible in the new graphic update the random button will be in a better position for editing, or a sub-section under it labeled "Filter Settings" - something of the sort would be nice. Just nice, like preferred but not needed.

9 years ago

Yes it would be nice!

9 years ago

I agree.

9 years ago

And it would also be great for adjusting which tags or categories. Because some random guy might, for instance, want an edutainment/sci-fi that has a war tag and just might want some random one of those. Or some other person may want something in the fantasy genre but doesn't know what to pick. Great idea! 

9 years ago

Whoa! Let's not get too specific. Afterall, it's supposed to be a random storygame button. The only reason I'm saying this would be a good idea is in order to appeal to a few common groups of CYS members:

1. People who play low rated games in the hopes of finding a cult classic, but don't want to pick and choose through all of the low rated games.

2. People who play low rated games just for shiggles. Yes, we know you are out there. Don't deny it.

3.People who have discriminating tastes in storygames and absolutely don't want to play anything with a rating below 6 (or whatever). I was like this for a while.

9 years ago

Well... Yeah, I guess.

9 years ago

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude. I just think that the creators would say, "well, if you're going to be that discriminating, then why would you use the random storygame button anyway."

9 years ago

Yeah, that was what I was thinking. And also... I guess it would be hard to put in the feature itself. And no, you did not sound rude at all. In fact, your criticism is classified as kind to me compared to the... others...

9 years ago

Yeah, I think it's best to keep the concept as simple as possible. Still the ability to adjust the minimum and (possibly) the maximum ratings of the storygames pulled up by the "random" button would be a nice feature. I think it could be done by having a "settings" button under and set off from the "random". I don't know much about the mechanics of the site or how feasible this feature would be, but I honestly feel that it would be a nice addition to the site.

9 years ago

Adjustable could be cool, but as someone said above, I think it's major use would be restricting your random search to a category or tag. Or even maturity level or difficulty.

I don't see why you'd ever need to random search for a shitty game though, so I'd be in favor of having a minimum rating of 4 regardless of your other search terms.

9 years ago

Still, I have seen games with a rating of 2 or 3 that actually had the potential to be good games, and I like to take the opportunity to give their authors the feedback they need to improve. However, many of these games I overlook accidently or avoid because they have a poor title. That is why I believe an adjustable random search button would be useful. But, I guess that I do agree with you on the tags and categories.  

9 years ago

I guess it can't hurt to have that part adjustable too. I think the default should be 5+ rated though.

9 years ago

Oh yeah, I agree there. The default should pull from the better games on the site. I just think that they should be able to set the rating as high or low as they want.

9 years ago

Why add that? Why not just keep clicking the random button till you get a story with a rating you want? I think putting restrictions is silly when it comes to being RANDOM 

9 years ago

I want users new to the site to be more likely to find our great stories. This is one way to encourage that. I think that's how you keep good writers here. Show them that their writing will have peers.